Which Remote to buy

K

khhamil

Audiophyte
I want to buy a Remote that will run phillips tv, onkyo 605, cable box and havnt decided on DVD yet, but also my can lights. I just installed remote control dimmers for the cans in my viewing room. All of my A/V will be in wood cabinet about 15ft from viewing area. I don't have alot to control but dont want to spend over $200 bucks either if i can help it. I assume it will have to do the RF thing. Might be asking too much but I know someone here can cut my research down to nothing.

Thanks.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I want to buy a Remote that will run phillips tv, onkyo 605, cable box and havnt decided on DVD yet, but also my can lights. I just installed remote control dimmers for the cans in my viewing room. All of my A/V will be in wood cabinet about 15ft from viewing area. I don't have alot to control but dont want to spend over $200 bucks either if i can help it. I assume it will have to do the RF thing. Might be asking too much but I know someone here can cut my research down to nothing.

Thanks.
Depending on how much work you want to do programing wise you can probably get a harmony remote and make your life as easy as possible as they are wizard based programing or you could get what I consider to be the better remote due to its versatility and look into the Universal Remote Control models like this one. While the MX series remote will be slightly harder to program, but I believe in the long run it will do a far better job for you.

Both of these types of remotes can be had for well under $200 and will be able to control all your accessories.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Depending on how much work you want to do programing wise you can probably get a harmony remote and make your life as easy as possible as they are wizard based programing or you could get what I consider to be the better remote due to its versatility and look into the Universal Remote Control models like this one. While the MX series remote will be slightly harder to program, but I believe in the long run it will do a far better job for you.

Both of these types of remotes can be had for well under $200 and will be able to control all your accessories.
Good response. I vote for the Harmony 890. The ease of use and classy looks are hard to beat for the price.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'd second the vote for the RF-20. It is similar to the MX-350 I have but lacks assignable emitters (which is not an issue really unless you have multiple devices that all respond to the same code).

If the remote control dimmer is the Lutron Maestro that uses IR then you can easily program the universal to control it. If it uses RF like most ceiling fans and other dimmers there is no universal remote that can learn its codes.

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
If it uses RF like most ceiling fans and other dimmers there is no universal remote that can learn its codes.
Except for the European versions of Pronto...which are illegal here...so never mind. ;)

Guiria

Guiria

Senior Audioholic
I'd put one in for the RF-20 with included powerblaster...the 890 is way over 200 (unless online retailers sell it for less than MSRP). I've setup the RF-20 with the powerblaster for my parents and even my mother likes to use it and can navigate her way between components, etc. It controls a TV, DVD, DVR, VCR, and Pioneer receiver very well. It also has a lock feature so when the grandkids grab the remote all the buttons are disabled. You won't run out of macro commands either.

I own the URC Automater.

my 2 cents

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
URC RF remotes

Get the URC RF20 and basestation for <$100.
http://www.amazon.com/RFS200-PowerPak-Bundle-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U

I have had good results with the URC300, a slightly older touch screen version of the remote. Now they call it the RF30. You will have manually learn most of the commands from your other remotes but it is worth the extra effort and cost savings.

The color touch screen Harmony remotes are nice, but they have to be recharged on a weekly basis and are more expensive. The batteries in my URC remote last for about 3 months.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis