Which Pioneer sub should I buy?

F

ForceV4

Audiophyte
Hello all,
(Long time lurker, first time poster lol) I have the Pioneer SP series 5.1 system ( SP-FS22, BS22-LR, C22, SW-8MK2 ) in my bedroom ( 11’ x 11’ x 8’). I listen to music, watch TV and movies, and game. I have a dedicated home theater in the basement so my intention is not to accomplish anything on that scale but to have a nice, clean, musical sound. Ultimate movie LFE SPL is NOT what I want but smooth musical base extension is. I’m very satisfied with the sound and performance of the speakers BUT, the SW-8MK2 sub is not doing it for me. It has presence but little tonality and not much extension. I do not want to spend a lot of money on this and I’m VERY limited in space. 2 subs that I can fit and are with in my space and price constraints are the Pioneer SW-10 and the SW-E10. My conundrum is this; the SW-10 is not an Andrew Jones design but is clearly an upgrade made by Pioneer to replace the arguably inadequate -8MK2 performance ( bolstered by the fact the SP series of speakers are still available through Pioneer but not the -8 MK2 sub. Listed with the SP series speakers is the -10 as the only sub option and it is identical in design to the -8 except in size). The other option is the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer Elite SW-E10 BUT, it’s not listed as “comparable” with the SP series plus it’s a sealed cabinet versus the ported design of the -8 and -10 subs. I can’t find any actual test data of either so I’m asking the collective experience here for their recommendations. BTW I can get either sub for about 200$ so price isn’t a consideration, just performance and compatibility sonically with the rest of the system.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m afraid I wouldn’t buy either one. Depending on how close you have to stay around 200 bucks, I would first look at the Dayton sub1200.

This BIC has a lot of fans but I question reliability.

Bic Acoustech PL-200 II Subwoofer - Gloss Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074131NKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_THkwEb7P6YFZY

For 399 the RSL speedwoofer is excellent.

A little more and the monolith is a great choice and pretty bulletproof.

There’s absolutely no reason whatsoever to consider compatibility, or tonal match or Sonics or anything like that when buying a subwoofer. It’s not a thing.
You might check eBay or craigslist, or even a pawn shop. Never know what you might find.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only thing a sub does in "matching" between a manufacturer's speakers and sub line is the finish/aesthetic, if that. I'd look at other than Pioneer, too.

F

ForceV4

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Unfortunately none of the suggested subs are physically small enough to fit in the space I have available.
As to tonality etc, what I was attempting to express was that I was not interested in a sub which only has dynamic range and boom (fine for movies sound effects) but instead had reasonably good, accurate tone reproduction (relevant to good music reproduction). I’ve owned subs from Yamaha, Klipsch, Pioneer through Bowers and Wilkins suggested 6 series and 7 series subs to a couple of old school Velodyne and modern SVS subs. Some these subs were very good as a movie sub due to dynamic range and SPL etc but were very poor music subs as they did not have accurate reproduction of music...at all lol! On the other hand I’ve had subs that were OK movie subs but were terrific music subs and sounded as a seamless extension of the main speakers.
Given the size and price limitations I have I’m not expecting too much improvement over what I have. I’m just trying to get something better. I’d specifically like to hear from those who have direct experience with the Pioneer SW-10 and Elite SW-E10 subs. Alternate suggestions are always appreciated.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. Unfortunately none of the suggested subs are physically small enough to fit in the space I have available.
As to tonality etc, what I was attempting to express was that I was not interested in a sub which only has dynamic range and boom (fine for movies sound effects) but instead had reasonably good, accurate tone reproduction (relevant to good music reproduction). I’ve owned subs from Yamaha, Klipsch, Pioneer through Bowers and Wilkins suggested 6 series and 7 series subs to a couple of old school Velodyne and modern SVS subs. Some these subs were very good as a movie sub due to dynamic range and SPL etc but were very poor music subs as they did not have accurate reproduction of music...at all lol! On the other hand I’ve had subs that were OK movie subs but were terrific music subs and sounded as a seamless extension of the main speakers.
Given the size and price limitations I have I’m not expecting too much improvement over what I have. I’m just trying to get something better. I’d specifically like to hear from those who have direct experience with the Pioneer SW-10 and Elite SW-E10 subs. Alternate suggestions are always appreciated.
You're not likely going to find anyone here who has used those subs. What are the space and budget limitations that you have?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want accuracy and no boominess I think you're still barking up the wrong tree with Pioneer. The subs Bill suggested are about as good as it gets in that price range.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What models of subs have you had? Of all the brands you listed SVS is the only one I would even consider. I've had Klipsch subs and they were very... meh. I'd imagine Pioneer to be on the same level. Those guys specialize in speakers first. Companies like SVS and Hsu specialize in subwoofers and are hands down the cleanest, most musical, "fastest" subs you can get.

W

wje2

Audioholic Intern
Also, don't overlook the used market. A few months back, I purchased a Parts Express subwoofer that they used to offer as a kit. 10" Titanic MK-III driver, 240 watt amp, nice cabinet with spike feet. The kit used to sell for the $400 range, but I picked it up for $60. The size was about a 13" cube - would fit virtually anywhere, but weighed over 50 Lbs. When it came to music performance, I would have put it up against my SB2000 subs. Granted, the P.E. sub, might not make it down to 19Hz like the SB2000, but it pounded and hit the frequencies down to the mid 20Hz range.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis