Which over the ear headphones??

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
They say they “work with the manufacturer” to develop certain headphones. How much of that is true and how much is rebranding (or hyperbole) I could not say...
This is what confused me. I saw the same models, look a like, but cheaper. I wanted to ask are these knock offs. Thanks for the info.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I have the AKG brand headphone and is their K240, which I could afford, 2 years ago. My ears are not that sensitive to distinguish the music note ranges, but they sound great to me. It is all in the quality for the price and how good your ears really are. I prefer the AKG brand with their reputation.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The AKG is a great phone for the price. Did you know that back in the day they were manufactured in Austria? I had some Austrian made AKG 240 Sextet (6 drivers) in the 80s and they were awesome!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I own AKG K712Pro made in Austria. I also own whole bunch of Senns and Fostex.
AKG and Fostex are gathering dust, while I daily use my Sens. I yet to listen to any Senn which won't be great sounding for its price.

I'd recommend against buying Massdrop as the discount isn't deep enough to justify no returns policy. Do some price research and set price alert using sites like keepa.com.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
@davidscott , I didn't know that AKG was originally made in Austria. Today, they are part of Samsung My K240 is so comfortable, you can wear for hours. It depends on who you talk to on their likes and dislikes, w/o details. I doubt many will notice any real difference in sound quality MODEL FOR MODEL comparison, that is. I am an ordinary/common user with $149.00 today price tag, on this specific MODEL. It is music to my ears. :) If I bought their $1500.00 model, I wonder if I would notice any difference......lol Just like other mfgs of high grade headphones....it is what model you are talking about that are good and bad, to ones specific requirement. You know what I mean????

Last edited:
tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
That's when the quality was great. Now they are still good but some feel they slipped in quality
I think some of their higher end models are still made in Austria, the cheaper models are manufactured elsewhere.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@davidscott , I didn't know that AKG was originally made in Austria. Today, they are part of Samsung My K240 is so comfortable, you can wear for hours. It depends on who you talk to on their likes and dislikes, w/o details. I doubt many will notice any real difference in sound quality MODEL FOR MODEL comparison, that is. I am an ordinary/common user with $149.00 today price tag, on this specific MODEL. It is music to my ears. :) If I bought their $1500.00 model, I wonder if I would notice any difference......lol Just like other mfgs of high grade headphones....it is what model you are talking about that are good and bad, to ones specific requirement. You know what I mean????
Personally, I have also tended to prefer the Senns over the AKGs.

But, I tend to use my AKG 845BT the most, simply due to Bluetooth functionality! They are also the only closed back set that I have, so they have better/deeper bass response. To nitpick, my ears get hotter quicker in these due to the closed back too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis