Which one would you pick..SVS PC-Ultra or PB12-Plus/2

J

jzac

Audioholic
So I am still waiting for the Axiom EP-500 subwoofer review to come out from someone before deciding on my new sub, BUT....

If I had to choose between a SVS PC-Ultra and a PB12-Plus/2 for a room size that is 18 wide x 35 length and half the room having vaulted 20 ft ceiling, which one would you recommend and why??

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pc_ultra.htm
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus_2.htm

PB12-Plus/2 has 2 12" drivers, and Ultra has 1... one is boxy and friggin' heavy and the other is cylindrical and light. Given the specs between these 2, which do you think is bang for the buck besides WAF?

Any guidance gurus?? Some of you have these speakers and can give some input :) Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

Zarg

Junior Audioholic
I Already Made My Choice...

... and it was the PB12-Plus/2. I have a room very much like yours and it works great.

With a four year-old boy, the cylinder wasn't the right choice for me. I didn't want to worry about him climbing on it and knocking it over & etc...

So now, he climbs on the PB-12 and then I turn it on and he gets vibrated off! (Not really, but I worry a heck of a lot less about him climbing on the mini-van-sized box than on the cylinder...)

So my choice had less to do with specs and more to do with other factors. But I'm happy with the choice I made!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
After reading SV's FAQ's column, I'm as confused as you probably are. What did you get out of their explanation?

"4) What's best for me? Cylinder or Box SVS?"

www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm

I am reading into it that the cylinder type subs are much cheaper to mfg. and ship, and seem to be more efficient in their development of bass. So if you are comparing their box sub to their cylinder sub for the same price, you are probably getting more bang for your buck with the cylinder type sub, which is the sub they seem to be known for. Without doing a side by side test, I cannot say which is better. But SV did say "Keep in mind too that even one of our CS-Ultra cylinders can leave some other $3,000 18" woofer box subs in the dust." Wow, if this is actually true. Makes me want to go get one today. These subs are mfg. in an old warehouse in Youngtown, Ohio.

Quote from the SVS website: "At the end of 2003, SVS purchased a factory left vacant in the Youngstown Ohio area (an old car production town). As of 2005 we are working again to expand this facility and SVS-run production of an expanding number of critical parts."

Actually, Youngstown is an old steel producing town. Lordstown, about 30 minutes away, produces the Chevy Cavalier, Sunbird, and new Cobalt. Not sure who made that statement. They don't list an actual address on their site, but I'm sure I can find it on google.

My parents still live there, in a suburb on the west side of Youngstown, about 3 hours from me. Next time I go visit, I'll try to arrange something where I can demo some subs. I'll tell them about this site, and that I want to post an informative thread on their products incase they don't have a showroom. At least I don't have to deal with the return shipping issue while there. These SV subs seem to have a cult following on this forum. I know a majority of us don't have one of them, and since they are not sold in local stores, we really can't imagine how good they are. If anyone has any contacts there, or the actual address, let me know before I pay them a visit.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
I purchased the PC Ultra....largely due to space considerations. Though my room is slightly smaller than your's, mine is open on one side to a larger area. After calibration of my system I ended up with the gain at about 30%....and it cooks. There is headroom to spare (big time) with this unit. It blends seemlessly with music sources and has extreme impact with movies. I tried turning the gain up to half once (just because) but only for a short time as I was afraid that the dry wall screws would start backing out.

Mort

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
I've had the PB12 Plus/2 for just over a month now and it is amazing. If I turn the gain past 9'oclock, my wife gets really upset! I mean really upset. At 9'oclock, it shakes the house! I don't think you can go wrong with either sub, but I can certainly vouch for the PB12 Plus/2. Again, it's incredible!

J

jzac

Audioholic
cylinder vs box..

Buckeyefan 1 said:
After reading SV's FAQ's column, I'm as confused as you probably are. What did you get out of their explanation?

"4) What's best for me? Cylinder or Box SVS?"

www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm

I am reading into it that the cylinder type subs are much cheaper to mfg. and ship, and seem to be more efficient in their development of bass. So if you are comparing their box sub to their cylinder sub for the same price, you are probably getting more bang for your buck with the cylinder type sub, which is the sub they seem to be known for. Without doing a side by side test, I cannot say which is better. But SV did say "Keep in mind too that even one of our CS-Ultra cylinders can leave some other $3,000 18" woofer box subs in the dust." Wow, if this is actually true. Makes me want to go get one today. These subs are mfg. in an old warehouse in Youngtown, Ohio.....
Yeah, I read the explanation of the cylinder vs box on SVS site a few times and couldn't quite come to a conclusion what they were saying was the advantages of one over the other, or if one had an edge over the other (if at all).

I shot an email to Ron S at SVS, and he seems to think the PB12-Plus/2 is excellent for a room of my size and will give the deserving performance among my choice of models, BUT he says that the PC-Ultra is the finest of the bunch!! :confused: I'm not quite sure what that meant. To quote what he wrote from his email...."The cylinder form factor is amazingly efficient. It has lots of internal air volume (the key to deep, effortless and accurate bass), requires no bracing due to its inherent geometry, is light, relatively inexpensive to build (we build these enclosures in-house, whereas the boxes are done by outside suppliers) and it takes up very little floor space. The PB12-Plus/2 would my pick (without wanting to upsell you, we’re not after that just the sub we think we’d want ourselves in that room). Then I’d go ISD/2 with the PC-Ultra after that and the PB12-Plus as the dark horse. All of these subs have fantastic sound (the PC-Ultra probably the finest of the bunch) and will be transparent and accurate on any music…"

Buckeyefan, if you can get there and see the demo, and do some tests for us that will be cool. ;) The SVS folks know about this forum, and I'm sure they will be curious to read what people say about their product. There are legions of SVS fans out there that swear by their subs.... for a good reason I'm sure! :)

Zarg said:
... and it was the PB12-Plus/2. I have a room very much like yours and it works great.

With a four year-old boy, the cylinder wasn't the right choice for me. I didn't want to worry about him climbing on it and knocking it over & etc
I have a kid of the same age and know what exactly what you mean! :D I can hide the sub in some corner if I needed to, but the efficiency of either one is what makes me wonder. Like Mort Corey said... PC-Utras can really belt out the nails... and thats what other users seem to say so too from the reviews.

JWheel said:
... I've had the PB12 Plus/2 for just over a month now and it is amazing. If I turn the gain past 9'oclock, my wife gets really upset! I mean really upset. At 9'oclock, it shakes the house! I don't think you can go wrong with either sub, but I can certainly vouch for the PB12 Plus/2. Again, it's incredible!
JWheel, I hear ya! :D I want to knock some WALLS off my house with clean tight bass! :) With that much of power in the amp and 2 12" woofers firing down I would think they would be! So is the PB12-Plus/2 really good for music AND movies?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis