which miniDSP do i need?

E

etonsrawi

Audiophyte
Hey there,
i'd like to battle some room modes with a miniDSP. I use a 5.1 AVR and all inputs are HDMI. I mostly want to optimize stereo sound (so a 2x4HD would be good) but don't want to lose the 5.1 functionality.
How do i implement a miniDSP in my xender setup?

thanks

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hey there,
i'd like to battle some room modes with a miniDSP. I use a 5.1 AVR and all inputs are HDMI. I mostly want to optimize stereo sound (so a 2x4HD would be good) but don't want to lose the 5.1 functionality.
How do i implement a miniDSP in my setup?

thanks
It would be helpful knowing what your equipment is and we're assuming that you only want the subwoofer/s to be dealt with?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure what you mean by using a minidsp to maximize stereo sound.....with avrs they are primarily useful for subs. With avrs for other channels you generally have no way to implement any eq into the avr....altho maybe some older models with appropriate processor/tape loops.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey there,
How do i implement a miniDSP in my setup?

thanks
Which AVR do you have? The minidsp devices such as the 2X4HD are useful but I don't know why so many people want to use it whether they need one or not. Seems to me, it has a lot to do with hearsay, if one says its good, make a night and day difference then more and more people will say to same and then before too long they all think they need one.:D Keep in mind that the minidsp with REW are not going to do much for room mode dips.

Anyway, the minidsp website has some good application notes that show you how to make connections. Does your 5.1 AVR has pre outs?
Two way crossover (minidsp.com)
Sub integration + REW (minidsp.com)

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Stay away from miniDSP - low quality and 0 customer support. I found that out first hand. Denon and Marantz are supposed to get Dirac Live this year. I would rather go that route (or any brand name with customer support).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Stay away from miniDSP - low quality and 0 customer support. I found that out first hand. Denon and Marantz are supposed to get Dirac Live this year. I would rather go that route (or any brand name with customer support).
Sorry have to disagree. I’ve had great support and success from them. Wish my Marantz had Dirac but it doesn’t. Rew/minidsp and audyssey w/app, I’m happy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What customer support did they fail with? What faults did the units have, and with what particular units? I've got two 2x4 (older unbalanced and balanced versions) and no issues either one myself...

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
First - they ship defect products. I received a miniDSP SHD with a dead ethernet port. Then they asked me to go through handstands including opening the box (with a screwdriver), a dozen steps to do before they accept the unit to fix it and son on. Kafkaesque product support. Take a look on their site how many problems raised by customers go unanswered. The other 2 products I bought from them are 2 mics UMIK1 and UMIK2. Allegedly they are measurement mics yet they are as much as 6 dbs off each other in (some points of) the audible range. (This UMIK2 vs UMIK1 problem has been going on for awhile - look it up). Let me ask you - have you ever needed one of their products fixed? How did that go?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First - they ship defect products. I received a miniDSP SHD with a dead ethernet port. Then they asked me to go through handstands including opening the box (with a screwdriver), a dozen steps to do before they accept the unit to fix it and son on. Kafkaesque product support. Take a look on their site how many problems raised by customers go unanswered. The other 2 products I bought from them are 2 mics UMIK1 and UMIK2. Allegedly they are measurement mics yet they are as much as 6 dbs off each other in (some points of) the audible range. (This UMIK2 vs UMIK1 problem has been going on for awhile - look it up). Let me ask you - have you ever needed one of their products fixed? How did that go?
Just wanted details rather than a rant alone, like I said no issues with my units. I use a different mic. I personally would prefer to open something up and attempt a repair rather than ship back, particularly to HK. :) Hadn't heard of the mic issues, will have to look that up...can you provide some specifics (or links)? Mostly I see people having good experiences with the miniDSP gear....but there are bound to be issues...consumer electronics being what they are.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis