Which is the better Acoustically

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Hi all looking for some opinions on which is better acoustic set up. i roughed up what i was thinking of doing and also attached a picture of how it is now. where the camera is in the mock up right at the edge of the desk in the foreground would be the back wall which is mostly windows. its your common L shaped apartment with the kitchen and hallway to the bedrooms on the right. i also still need to build the diffusers. let me know what you all think. thanks.
1655687027548.png
Screenshot 2022-06-19 210459.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Makes good sense in a couple of areas. You currently do not get any side wall reflections from the right main speaker, so option 2 is more balanced. Should also look better and have better traffic flow getting the right side surround away from the middle of the room. The one thing I would watch for is subwoofer placement and the distance the towers are from the walls. The towers against the wall will usually make the bass more pronounced, so that setup may end up sounding a bit 'boomy'. You may need to bring the front towers out into the room more, and moving the subs to different locations could improve things. You might get lucky with what you have planned, but sub placement can take some trial and error or room measurements with a mic and REW software to flatten out the response. I think it's a good start though.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Friend Eppie on this. I was going to say the render would likely be better, or at least easier to tweak.
Subwoofers should be placed where they will perform their best, and that is not always on the front wall... especially in a non rectangular room. You may well find that a Sub wants to be behind the couch and should keep your mind open to such things.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dang eppie and Ryan stole the show. I agree with #2.

Option #2 not only works better acoustically for the reasons they mentioned but also it looks better as well

M

mocwilson

Junior Audioholic
Hey thanks for the input, there is a doorway still to the right of the front speaker even in the rendering, which I was thinking of putting a barn door on.
Also ya sub placement I was thinking of actually putting them right behind the couch so they can stay as low as possible volume wise.but then they be firing into the building, Since it's an apartment, right now they are on either side of the couch facing in, and sounds good but not to bad in other rooms of the apartment even when playing loud. All the subs and big speakers are on isolation pads in an attempt to limit sound to the neighbors, which I was also thinking might help to have the setup firing out towards the windows. I've never had any complaints and I do keep it fairly low for the most part, so optimizing the sound at lower volumes is my goal.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey thanks for the input, there is a doorway still to the right of the front speaker even in the rendering, which I was thinking of putting a barn door on.
Also ya sub placement I was thinking of actually putting them right behind the couch so they can stay as low as possible volume wise.but then they be firing into the building, Since it's an apartment, right now they are on either side of the couch facing in, and sounds good but not to bad in other rooms of the apartment even when playing loud. All the subs and big speakers are on isolation pads in an attempt to limit sound to the neighbors, which I was also thinking might help to have the setup firing out towards the windows. I've never had any complaints and I do keep it fairly low for the most part, so optimizing the sound at lower volumes is my goal.
Sometimes in rooms like this subs work better placed nearfield. Our reviewer for speakers and subs Shady J has brought this up to previous posters on theyre setup threads. As long as they are in phase with the rest of the system it can sound really really good.

Plus as you mentioned you get all the subs output and at lower volumes

I had a pair of SVS PB 4000's setup that way in my old house and it was awesome. They were firing right into the back of my seating row lol

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis