Which is the best then?

G

glyphrunner

Audiophyte
Alright, I've looked through all the Bose-bashing threads, I've checked out the Audiophyte sections, and I've gone through the main site, but so far all I'm seeing is the same thing: the best speaker is your choice. That's not exactly helpful for getting into the "system."

I'll admit, the reason I came here was through searching for Bose information, but it was in regards to finding comparisons. I have had Bose 201's, 301's and 501's my entire life (except for a set of Yamaha speakers that sucked so much *** they should have been a vacuum), plus my father has 901's. I have always loved my Bose speakers but I'm needing to replace them since they were stolen (yeah, someone else loved them that much too).

I am going to be attempting to replace my speakers through eBay, and therefore working with a limited budget (had to replace other things before speakers) I'm having to get the best bang for the buck.

So, since there isn't any real answer on the main site, and nothing that I've seen so far looking through here, What's the best set for a decent price?

V

VolksyGTI

Enthusiast
I am sorry to reiterate this bad news for you, but the only way to make a semi-educated decision when buying speakers is to set a budget and go audition as many as you can within that budget.
No matter what others are saying, anything short of that is the equivalent of throwing darts at a target...you might hit the bullseye, but there is a very large chance that you might not. At most, you can get recommendations from others about speakers you should listen to in your budget, but going and purchasing stuff just because an x amount of people recommended them, without listening to them, is hardly a well thought-out plan. Do not forget that what others might consider pleasing sound, you might not like it all. Buying speakers IMHO is as personal a decision as it gets.
Keep in mind that the speakers are the MOST important link of your system. You should spend at least 50-60% of your budget on them. The rest should be allocated to room acoustics, electronics, cables, in that order.
Best of luck in your search and do not forget to have fun while at it...that's the most important part IMHO.

ducker

ducker

Full Audioholic
perhaps we can put a sticking in this forum containing some of the links to the B0$3 information. I frankly would love to point it out to my friends. I'd rather direct them to this site then directly to the links! :)

I agree. Set Budget, figure out main application (music/movies), cross check WAF, get a list of possible canidates, and then go out and listen to 'em :)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
So glyphrunner, are you asking what's the best set of speakers within a budget, or what are the best Bose speakers within a budget? Also what is that budget? For a very tight budget constraint I'd suggest Bic America's Venturi bookshelfs. Also did they take your receiver/bass module as well? Are you looking to replace everything or just the speakers in otherwords. I'm not a bose fan but if you are looking to replace all your speakers with Bose again then what kind did you like best? What kind were stolen?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
glyphrunner said:
Alright, I've looked through all the Bose-bashing threads, I've checked out the Audiophyte sections, and I've gone through the main site, but so far all I'm seeing is the same thing: the best speaker is your choice. That's not exactly helpful for getting into the "system."

I'll admit, the reason I came here was through searching for Bose information, but it was in regards to finding comparisons. I have had Bose 201's, 301's and 501's my entire life (except for a set of Yamaha speakers that sucked so much *** they should have been a vacuum), plus my father has 901's. I have always loved my Bose speakers but I'm needing to replace them since they were stolen (yeah, someone else loved them that much too).

I am going to be attempting to replace my speakers through eBay, and therefore working with a limited budget (had to replace other things before speakers) I'm having to get the best bang for the buck.

So, since there isn't any real answer on the main site, and nothing that I've seen so far looking through here, What's the best set for a decent price?
Runner,

Sorry to hear of the loss. Theft sucks. I had a set of Taylor Made irons, Callaway woods, and a stand bag taken out of my garage last year - while I was home! To add insult to injury, I have a $500 insurance deductible, so filing a claim would have been useless. Anyhow, back to some choices. Here's a few questions.
*What is your receiver make and model.
*How many speakers are you looking to purchase? ie: 2, a 5.1 or 7.1 set including a sub?
*Are you looking for all bookshelves, or towers for the front mains?
*How much is your budget (decent price)? What's the maximum price-US $?
*Finally, do you like the sound of your speakers to be "soft and smooth" or "crisp and punchy." Sorry for the weak analogy - just trying to narrow this down so we can help out here.

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Tastes

OK, let me take a stab at it. There are a lot of speaker manufacturers that make high quality products, i.e. 1” MDF cabinets, quality crossovers, drivers and posts. Some speakers are front ported, some rear ported and some are sealed (acoustic suspension). Some have horn tweeters and some use aluminum domes. What this boils down to is they sound different. All in this example are quality built but they are different and that is where taste comes into play. Your music taste has a function here as well. If you’re a jazz fan you might be better off with Paradigm or PSB. A rock fan might be better off with a warmer speaker and so on. I hope this helps.

Oh just one thing, there are speakers companies that do not use qualitiy materials (plastic boxes, paper drivers), but charge an arm and a leg.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
My thoughts are, if you are happy with the "Bose sound" then just replace them with the equivalent Bose speakers. You can't go wrong buying something you've been satisfied with all your life.

Otherwise, with a known budget and what equipment you have driving the speakers, the best we can do is recommend several speakers in the price range. You'll still have to audition them to see if you prefer them to Bose.

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
glyphrunner said:

You'll get the same answers if you ask about toilet paper. My B&W's might sound like crap in your room with your receiver. I can tell you my speakers are ok but YOU have to go listen,research,take suggestions and in the end,you buy what is best in your room with your receiver.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Can't you just rob someone elses apartment and get speakers for free?

I keed, I keed!

Unless it comes out the back of a white van, all speakers are going to have their proponents who claim theyre the greatest ever built. Your only clear plan of action to to audition everything you can locally, and then decide if the 'local stuff" has left you wanting enough to spread your auditioning out to distant dealers or internet-direct companies.

G

glyphrunner

Audiophyte
Yes, they took my receiver, CD deck, DVD player and VCR, and smashed in the TV as well. Basically, they cleaned me out of all my stereo and video components (even got one of my computers :mad: ). They managed to get my Bose 301 Series III's.

Currently, this is what I have in regards to a system left (retired pieces from years back):
Pioneer VSX-D307
Pioneer PD-M406 (CD 6-changer)

As far as a budget, I'm exceptionally low on the money. The MOST that I'll be able to expend on this endeavor will be $800 since that's all that I'm getting after the $500 deductable. Basically, this forces me to resort to places like eBay to regain my sound, since speakers are soaring in price.

Ideally, I'd love to get something in the realm of floorstanding/towers, but bookshelves would work also for now. If I could manage to obtain 301's or higher then I'd be happy, but I'm also opening my options up since I recognize that Bose does run pricy.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
glyphrunner said:
Yes, they took my receiver, CD deck, DVD player and VCR, and smashed in the TV as well. Basically, they cleaned me out of all my stereo and video components (even got one of my computers :mad: ). They managed to get my Bose 301 Series III's.

So you need a DVD player, 2 speakers and a tv for $800? Or are you thinking of a surround sound receiver since your older Pioneer is a 2 channel unit?

Currently, this is what I have in regards to a system left (retired pieces from years back):
Pioneer VSX-D307
Pioneer PD-M406 (CD 6-changer)

As far as a budget, I'm exceptionally low on the money. The MOST that I'll be able to expend on this endeavor will be $800 since that's all that I'm getting after the $500 deductable. Basically, this forces me to resort to places like eBay to regain my sound, since speakers are soaring in price.

Ideally, I'd love to get something in the realm of floorstanding/towers, but bookshelves would work also for now. If I could manage to obtain 301's or higher then I'd be happy, but I'm also opening my options up since I recognize that Bose does run pricy.
Just want to make sure what the $800 includes. That stinks about the deductible.

N

NetGeek

Junior Audioholic
I replaced all of my Bose with speakers that cost less than Bose

And now I am REALLY hearing my music collection for the first time; I had no idea what I was missing. I bought Athena Audition series; started off with a pair of floorstanders and a center channel and then Athena made some cosmetic changes to this series and this entire series was marked down in Best Buy's and online and I ended up with a pair of every speaker in the Audition line and STILL payed less than I did with my Bose.

The new Athenas are still very resonable and I would look at the Bic's for sure with your budget; I don't see how you could go wrong with either. $800 will get you a nice setup from Bic.

G

glyphrunner

Audiophyte
I'm not looking to replace the TV or the DVD. My only concern is music since I really didn't spend time on the movies or TV, and I don't have enough of a DVD library to be worth it right now.

So, the entire budget would be going towards speakers first, and then potentially a receiver to improve beyond my current high school model.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Interesting question. Kind of like asking, WHATS THE BEST CAR AVAILABLE FOR A REASONABLE PRICE?!? I won't insult your intelligence with all of the obvious analogies, but you appreciate the impossibility of answering such a question.

As to your price limit, are you really set on Bose? If not, I would consider getting a set of Acoustic Research HC-6's from J&R for around 300 bucks, and a Yamaha 5860 from Best Buy or the like for around 300 or a 5760 for even less. I think you'd be in for a really, really pleasant surprise.

Good luck, and good hunting! Sorry to hear about the thievery =o)

Cheers,
Matty K.

G

glyphrunner

Audiophyte
mkossler said:
Interesting question. Kind of like asking, WHATS THE BEST CAR AVAILABLE FOR A REASONABLE PRICE?!? I won't insult your intelligence with all of the obvious analogies, but you appreciate the impossibility of answering such a question.

As to your price limit, are you really set on Bose? If not, I would consider getting a set of Acoustic Research HC-6's from J&R for around 300 bucks, and a Yamaha 5860 from Best Buy or the like for around 300 or a 5760 for even less. I think you'd be in for a really, really pleasant surprise.

Good luck, and good hunting! Sorry to hear about the thievery =o)

Cheers,
Matty K.
I'm not really set on Bose, it's just that those are those only speakers I've had any exposure to other than some exceptionally horrible Yamahas. I've heard some other peoples' systems and wasn't impressed one bit (I'm accustomed to hearing great range when listening to jazz, electronica and even rock).

Perhaps the best example of the wide range of frequency I would be listening to is Tangerine Dream's EXIT album. It incorporates wide ranges of bass and very exact treble. If these get tied into an "entertainment" system later in life, so be it. Ultimately, though, this is intended for nearly 100% music only (who has time to watch crappy programs on TV?).

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
If you're going to be dropping $800 on speakers, it would be worth your while to check out Axiom. Their M50Ti's are $700 a pair out the door and the M60Ti's are $900.

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
Why don't you try out an entire acoustech system by Bic? You get big floorstanders, a center and a pair of surrounds with a 12" powered sub, and you can get it all for $800. Demo them and if you like them then that's my suggestion it you want an entire HT setup. You have said that you really only want this setup for music though. If that is the case and you are willing to start out 2 channel I'd have to tell you to try to find a pair of Monitor Audio S8's. Monitor audio is replacing the entire S series with the SR series. Those S8's are beautiful speakers that usually would cost more than $800, but since they are being closed out that is about the price they are at most places. If you can't get away with only 2 channels and you want a nice system for Jazz, classical, or acoustic then I'd suggest you drop by soundcity.com and pick up 2 pairs of PSB 2B's and a 9C. This is gonna set you back about $800 as well. Another suggestion (you may be wary because of the price but don't be) is to grab the Bic Venturi line bookshelfs. They are called BIC DV62SIB and you can get them for $96 a pair right now at Ubid.com plus $20 shipping of course. Then get this speaker , the Bic DV-62CLRS to use as a center. It will run you about $100. This 12" sub will run you a little over $200 shipped Bic 1220 and will blow the socks off of anything your base module could do. Now I'm up to a little over $500, probably around $525 shipped so you've still got room to get a budget receiver. I've got some ideas there as well. The Onkyo 602 is going for $237 at Ubid but my main suggestion would be to pick up a Harman Kardon 235 from their ebay outlet store. The store is maintained by Harman themselves and the 235's have been going for between $237 and $300. There are two up for bid right now. Get one for $250 and you're rocking. I doubt you could beat the venturi Harman combo for the price, and as a bonus when you've saved up a bit Venturi makes some floorstanders that are supposed to rock that you can find for around $300 if you look hard enough. That would give you a 7.1 setup with strong 2 Channel sound. The Floorstanders have 4 drivers, two active and two passive and look really impressive, albeit utilitarian. I'm only making suggestions. You need to get out and demo for yourself. Just go to Bicamerica.com to find a local dealer. Good luck, and I'm sorry for your loss.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
You've got a pretty good taste in music. I've been on ebay looking for a nice set of towers in your pricerange. There's a set of Polk RTi12's, but the asking price is almost $200 more than you have. There's also a set of Axiom's, but I've not demo'd them, and can't recommend them. They do get good reviews here. Here's a few I like. Don't know where they'll end up pricewise though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5780322719&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71571&item=5781841308&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5781459167&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=71571&item=5782337294&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5781617163&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14993&item=5782031787&rd=1

G

Gatorchong

Audioholic
Yet another suggestion

Personally, my focus is two channel audio so if a good system for music is what you're mostly interested in here's what I recommend you look at:

Cambridge Audio Azur 340C CD Player ~$200.00
Cambridge Audio Azur 340A Integrated Amp ~$250.00

Like everybody has said, speakers are for the most part a matter of taste but with the leftover budget I'd recommend looking at the following:

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170
Epos ELS3
Paradigm Monitor 3 - May be slightly over budget.

If you don't have a local dealer that sells Cambridge Audio or Epos they can be had at
www.audioadvisor.com

Cambridge is well known for making some of the best products in their price range.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis