H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Which one is a better technology? DLP projection TV or LCD projection TV. And if I am not mistaken, is it only Samsung making the DLP projection?
Thank you.</font>

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#8D38C9'>That's a loaded question!
&nbsp; Are you talking about RPTV or FPTV? &nbsp;I can't think of anyone but Samsung making a DLP RPTV but lots of companies make DLP front projectors.

It's pretty tough to really pick a best, partly because it varies depending on what you're looking for. &nbsp;Until very recently I couldn't have taken LCD seriously at all- the space between the pixels was so large that you got a very bad &quot;screen door&quot; effect. &nbsp;Newer panels have alleviated this problem somewhat. &nbsp;

Overall DLP will be brighter with slightly better blacks than LCD. &nbsp;My personal preference is for DLP. &nbsp;But some people are bothered by the dreaded &quot;Rainbow Effect&quot; or &quot;Color Separation Artifacts.&quot; &nbsp;DLP (that is to say, one-chip DLP...) uses a spinning color wheel, painting each color sequentially. &nbsp;This means when your eyes are moving you can sometimes see the primary colors. &nbsp;This gives some people headaches. &nbsp;There's really no way to know if you're succeptible to it until you try. &nbsp;For the record, I've lived with a DLP projector for over a year, and I've yet to see this phenomenon while watching a movie.

I love DLP, but my advice is not to buy one til you've had the chance to spend some time watching one.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
H

happy540i

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks a lot Rob for the info. I'm doing some search on the internet and it seems DLP is a better technology. Most of the high end Front projectors is using DLP technology. I'm looking at buying a Samsung 43&quot;. When I was looking at it in a store I was comparing it with a Sony 42&quot; LCD projection. I was having a problem focusing specially fast moving objects such as sports. I thoughtI was just too close to the monitor. I tried to move further and it was still a problem.</font>

goodman

goodman

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Although I have a 17&quot; LCD display on my computer and like it a lot, DLP is probably the superior technology.  I don't know if there are any hi-definition LCD displays, but there are lots of hi-def DLP displays.  For two years now, we've had a Sharp XV9000 front projector and have enjoyed it immensely, and like Rob Babcock, I have never once observed the rainbow effect, even when I've looked for it.</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>Zenith makes a couple of different sized LCD displays at 55 and 60 inch. They have a native resolution of 1280 X 720p and displays all HD sources in that resolution. Philips has a newer technology out called Lcos or Liquid crystal on Silicon (also 720p). Lcos technology is slated to replace CRT based rear projection tvs. Like the LCD the Lcos are fixed pixel displays which require no alignment like CRTs. At this time Philips only offers a 55&quot; Lcos display. Both worthy of a look. &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
<font color='#000080'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
goodman : Although I have a 17&quot; LCD display on my computer and like it a lot, DLP is probably the superior technology.
You probably know this, but be sure to not confuse direct view LCD with rear projection LCD. There is a huge difference.

Think about what happens when you blow up an image - you see all of the problems in higher detail. That's what the current problems with LCD RP are (though they are getting better). The spaces between the pixels get amplified when the image is projected. DLP has most/all of the electronics behind the chip reflecting areas, LCD's electronics are around each of the pixels, thus creating the dreaded &quot;screen door effect&quot; when the image is blown up.

With that said, LCD RP is getting much better (as is LCD FP)

I just wanted to make sure you shop apples to apples - and don't use the direct view LCDs (which are starting look very good indeed) as an example of that technology.
Rob is dead-on - have some fun looking at these displays before you make a purchase. And plan on getting an AVIA setup DVD (or other) once you make a purchase so you can get the best picture out of the display.</font>

D

docferdie

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>stick to the TANTUS models--46 and 56 inch I think. It is so frustrating to not have that top shelf for the center channel. If you position the center channel below the TV then this is not an issue.</font>

ThA tRiXtA

ThA tRiXtA

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Hi Guys;

I have this Panasonic LCD Projection TV...

CLICK HERE

Do you know if it suffers from these problems you guys talk about?

Or if you know anything else in general it would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis