• Thread starter Van Cobbie Amihere
  • Start date
V

Van Cobbie Amihere

Audiophyte
Hi there,
I have just bought a SPEAKCRAFT 1235 12 channel amp from a friend who is an audiophiler and I would like to know if it is any good for home theater multi channel task. I find it has only 35watts rms at 8ohms per channel. I'm yet to set it up but I'm wondering if it can fire up my speakers well you know give it punch and clarity? I use a teufel T500 speaker system, an onkyo tx rz840 and a tannoy TS 2.12 rated at 500watts rms peak1000watts as my home theater setup. My bass is pretty solid. Please comment or advice if I'm good with my onkyo or giving it the Speakercraft power amp would give me a better desirable sound?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi there,
I have just bought a SPEAKCRAFT 1235 12 channel amp from a friend who is an audiophiler and I would like to know if it is any good for home theater multi channel task. I find it has only 35watts rms at 8ohms per channel. I'm yet to set it up but I'm wondering if it can fire up my speakers well you know give it punch and clarity? I use a teufel T500 speaker system, an onkyo tx rz840 and a tannoy TS 2.12 rated at 500watts rms peak1000watts as my home theater setup. My bass is pretty solid. Please comment or advice if I'm good with my onkyo or giving it the Speakercraft power amp would give me a better desirable sound?
That amp is designed for background music in multi zone systems, it serves it purpose well, for background music. Some can be bridged if inwall or in room speakers are needed, if other channels are free.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
As mentioned, that amp is designed for distributed audio systems. It is likely able to bridge the channels and run 6 channels at 70 watts per channel.

It doesn't really compare to a high power amp with 200 watts per channel, but unlike most receivers that don't truly give anywhere near their rated power across all channels at once, the 1235 is designed to truly deliver power across all channels at all times.

Still, that's not what I'd use for my home theater amplifier.

It is what I would give a strong recommendation to (and have) for distributed audio. Someone with 6 rooms of audio can drive 12 speakers and very good volume levels throughout the home with no problem and the build quality on those types of amps is forever. As long as they aren't in a space where they can overheat or get abused, they will basically last forever. 35 watts is a very significant amount of power when driving in-ceiling speakers throughout a home.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd keep using the Onkyo.

ps One thread is sufficient in these forums....

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis