Which is better Onkyo TX-RZ50 vs. Denon AVR-X4700H vs. Marantz SR6015?

Z

ZeroCool86

Audiophyte
I have been looking at these for the past couple months and just can't decide. The specs are nearly the same with the Onkyo being significantly cheaper. Is there something the Onkyo is missing?
My current setup is : (All Klipsch speakers)
2 - R-625FA (Front & Height 1)
2 - R-41M (Surround)
1 - R-52C ( Center)
2 - R- 41SA (Height 2)
1 - R-12 SW ( Sub)

Current Receiver - Onkyo HT-R693.

I think obviously there is going to be a huge improvement in sound when I upgrade the receiver I am just looking for some other opinions.

WookieGR

WookieGR

Full Audioholic
I have a video replacing the Denon with an Onkyo on my channel. The DIRAC and three 40Gbps HDMI 2.1 inputs of the Onkyo make it a no brainer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been looking at these for the past couple months and just can't decide. The specs are nearly the same with the Onkyo being significantly cheaper. Is there something the Onkyo is missing?
My current setup is : (All Klipsch speakers)
2 - R-625FA (Front & Height 1)
2 - R-41M (Surround)
1 - R-52C ( Center)
2 - R- 41SA (Height 2)
1 - R-12 SW ( Sub)

Current Receiver - Onkyo HT-R693.

I think obviously there is going to be a huge improvement in sound when I upgrade the receiver I am just looking for some other opinions.
Onkyo is now a very different company, that has been in severe financial trouble. Historically they have been known for excess and premature failures.

Three months ago Onkyo was purchased by Voxx corporation. That ownership inspires no confidence at all. I would be totally surprised if Onkyo has found a safe harbor.

Only time will tell if things have changed going forward. Personally I would not advise the purchase of an Onkyo product at this time.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just how do you expect a new avr to be a huge improvement? The Dirac feature alone (in the Onkyo, or XT32 in the D&M models) or the addition of Atmos capabilities or ?

Z

ZeroCool86

Audiophyte
Just how do you expect a new avr to be a huge improvement? The Dirac feature alone (in the Onkyo, or XT32 in the D&M models) or the addition of Atmos capabilities or ?
-Any one of these AVR's is going to me additional channels, my current setup is only capable of 5.1.2 so I have two speakers not in use. There also is no pre-out option
-The room correction as you mentioned jumping from AccuEQ to either Dirac(Onkyo) or XT32(D&M models).
- Currently my receiver only supports 4K/60HZ so I have my XBOX Series S hooked up to my LG CX directly and it sounds noticeably different going through ARC from the TV instead of being plugged in directly to the receiver whereas all the newer models support 8K/60HZ or 4K/120HZ.
- Supporting EARC will allow more access to other uncompressed formats that aren't supported by ARC.
- Lastly the current receiver runs at 95W per channel so there will a slight improvement in power even though down the road I plan to have external amplification.

All of these things combined together is why I see it as a huge improvement.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
-Any one of these AVR's is going to me additional channels, my current setup is only capable of 5.1.2 so I have two speakers not in use. There also is no pre-out option
-The room correction as you mentioned jumping from AccuEQ to either Dirac(Onkyo) or XT32(D&M models).
- Currently my receiver only supports 4K/60HZ so I have my XBOX Series S hooked up to my LG CX directly and it sounds noticeably different going through ARC from the TV instead of being plugged in directly to the receiver whereas all the newer models support 8K/60HZ or 4K/120HZ.
- Supporting EARC will allow more access to other uncompressed formats that aren't supported by ARC.
- Lastly the current receiver runs at 95W per channel so there will a slight improvement in power even though down the road I plan to have external amplification.

All of these things combined together is why I see it as a huge improvement.
Maybe a bit different in processing, but still don't think you'll experience a huge difference/improvement, that normally would come from speakers and/or room setup. Features/connectivity you'd like is something else IMO, and can be worth changing avr. Not sure how you relate 4k/60hz or higher video bandwidth with audio improvement, tho. Difference in power among avrs tends to only be a dB or two, but having pre-outs is a good option to have.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 693 can’t handle 4K @120 and no eARC so console connected to TV has audio clipped when using ARC. HDMI 2.1 and Dirac are the sellers on the Onkyo. But, one needs to make sure the one chosen has all of the needed ports. Things are a bit different around back among the three. The Denon has a universal remote control for those that want one and the Marantz has 7.1 EXT. IN.
F576AA0A-7BB9-4D99-997C-8F74B32C2825.jpeg

90A4C251-5840-42CF-9AB3-9FDDD0E2323C.png

687EB10A-8089-45B1-9DC0-9CEB3A2438E0.jpeg

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you go with the Denon, get the $20 App and it can be as good as or better than Onkyo's Dirac Live, at least for the bass band where most agree should be EQ'ed for better results. Marantz SR7015 is more comparable to the AVR-X4700H. The SR6015 is comparable to the AVR-X3700H. As other mentioned, Marantz has the 7.1 analog inputs if you have use for them.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 7015 is a nice unit with 7.1 EXT. IN and Universal Remote Control as well. I gave up on Denon when those features were moved higher up the ladder and then the 7.1 EXT. IN was removed altogether. Those remotes are great and eARC support means HDMI Control doesn't have to be ON to f#%k it all up when switching sources or getting audio back from an eARC capable TV.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If you go with the Denon, get the $20 App and it can be as good as or better than Onkyo's Dirac Live, at least for the bass band where most agree should be EQ'ed for better results. Marantz SR7015 is more comparable to the AVR-X4700H. The SR6015 is comparable to the AVR-X3700H. As other mentioned, Marantz has the 7.1 analog inputs if you have use for them.
I agree with the Audyssey app. I was extremely hesitant and skeptical of the app but decided to buy it a few weeks ago. Made a huge difference, very, very happy with what it did. Just sounds more open and less compressed I guess is the right way to explain it. Just overall more enjoyable now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I've been happy with the 4700. I have not figured out how to max out the app. Work to do on that.

I haven't wanted to give Onkyo a break since having failures with them a few AVRs ago. Might not be fair though.

Marantz is good too. Basically similar to Denon as they are the same company.

So probably depends on the deal you can get between Denon or Marantz.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Onkyo is now a very different company, that has been in severe financial trouble. Historically they have been known for excess and premature failures.

Three months ago Onkyo was purchased by Voxx corporation. That ownership inspires no confidence at all. I would be totally surprised if Onkyo has found a safe harbor.

Only time will tell if things have changed going forward. Personally I would not advise the purchase of an Onkyo product at this time.
I would agree for no other reason than the Voxx part. Had a couple not great experiences with them. One really bad in fact.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
I'm gonna suggest the Denon or Marantz. I like the Audyssey and find that it's pretty effective in my setup using similar Klipsch speakers to yours and a SR6013. I'm really happy.with it all.

These 2 are sister units in my opinion. Like a Suburban vs an Escalade. The Denon (Suburban) will get you pretty much all you want and the Marantz (Escalade - if the right sister model) usually has a couple upgraded or extra features. But both are SOUND United products and should be expected to be.solid and what will give you the best outcome.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm gonna suggest the Denon or Marantz. I like the Audyssey and find that it's pretty effective in my setup using similar Klipsch speakers to yours and a SR6013. I'm really happy.with it all.

These 2 are sister units in my opinion. Like a Suburban vs an Escalade. The Denon (Suburban) will get you pretty much all you want and the Marantz (Escalade - if the right sister model) usually has a couple upgraded or extra features. But both are SOUND United products and should be expected to be.solid and what will give you the best outcome.
Usually you pay more for those same features for the Marantz brand than the Denon IME. Maybe difference between Suburban and Denali depending on price you pay :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with the Audyssey app. I was extremely hesitant and skeptical of the app but decided to buy it a few weeks ago. Made a huge difference, very, very happy with what it did. Just sounds more open and less compressed I guess is the right way to explain it. Just overall more enjoyable now.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Also, if you ever get bored, you can pull the file up and create another curve for fun. No need to re-run, so it only takes a few minutes to try a different curve and can always go back to your favorite curve. To me, I almost prefer it to Dirac Live because it is more convenient to use the smart device based app than the big and heavy laptop, and it is so much cheaper.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Usually you pay more for those same features for the Marantz brand than the Denon IME. Maybe difference between Suburban and Denali depending on price you pay :)
I won't deny that.in some cases... But I guess that's why it's important to ask, and research, and decide for yourself what's worth your dollar and what isn't.

In the end its always a personal choice eh...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Why do you insist on the AVR having 7.1 channel analog inputs. I guess you have an OPPO Blu-ray player with 7.1 analog outs. I would just ignore that and use the HDMI output and the DAC in your AVR will adequately convert the BD player signal with no sonic difference.

By the way, I also would recommend a Denon AVR because their products perform well and even some of their mid and top line models have shown specs better than several very expensive preamp-processors.

Here's an updated review of the AVR-X4700H at Audio Science Review site:

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I would purchase a Denon unit. My 2015 model is still working and recently replaced with a 2020 Denon unit, with perhaps, newer technology. I had a Denon before that, which was still working and sold it for $100.00, 3 years ago.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis