Which is better for MUSIC?

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I listen 90/10% music vs movies, which is more enjoyable 5.1 or 7.1 in your opinion?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If the music is a stereo recording that is being matrixed out to a surround sound setup, it doesn't matter.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I prefer 2.1 if I'm in the room listening. Otherwise I use multi-channel stereo when I'm just doing things around the house. Never use anything else for music.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I listen 90/10% music vs movies, which is more enjoyable 5.1 or 7.1 in your opinion?
2.1, but this was not an option.

Multi-channel music?... 5.1....I don't think you're going to find very much true 5.1 decoded music and almost no 7.1 from my experience.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have some SACD and DVDA and DTS music and Blu-ray Audio discs that I play the native 5.1 tracks on. I have one 4.0 Quadraphonic Doors disc. I’m not setup with 7.1 but am planning for 5.1.4 Atmos soon. There are a few Atmos music discs I’m going to try.

As far as 9ch music dsp (5 ch for me) on Yamaha, it works okay too. It’s like listening in a car. The music matrix goes all around. I use it sometimes.

There is also the Dolby DSU upmixer that can work ok if center spread is on, but that setting is too far buried in the Yamaha menus to mess with on a regular basis...

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
For music, 2.0 or 2.1 / 2.2 is what I prefer, but if you are into surround sound and music, I think 5.x would be best versus 7.x etc

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Most DVDs released after 1990 have at least a Dolby 5.1 and most recent ones have the DTS 5.1 track as well. Most currently released Blu-rays feature DTS-HD Master Surround Audio and some have a 7.1 layer.

Most SACDs have a 5.1 surround audio layer and have an additional stereo layer that enable them to be played in a standard CD player. The only exceptions are a few early SONY and CBS SACDs which would play only on a SACD machine.

IMO, the DTS-HD Master Audio surround format provides the best overall surround sound, a lot better than most CDs.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
For me, it depends on what I’m listening to/mood. Sometimes electronic stuff like NIN or infected mushroom which use non traditional sounds can be really fun in surround. Almost like a movie soundtrack with weird sounds in all directions. For this I use 7.3. Sometimes acoustic music is good for me this way too.
On the other hand, if I am feeling traditional, or purist or whatever I’ll use 2.0(direct) or 2.3.(stereo)
I find PLIIx tends to place instruments in places they don’t belong. This takes me out of the music and is actually irritating. I’m very close to a denon4400 so I’m really looking forward to what dsu can do in my room.

Basically no absolutes. Experiment and see what you like. I used to listen to all music in surround. Then I got on the purist train and everything had to be direct or stereo. Now it’s just whatever suits me.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just adding to this.

I'm about a year and a half into collecting M-C music with only about 30 titles.

5.1...the vast majority are 4.1, 4.0, or 2.1...I think I have maybe 2 SACDs that are true 5.1 and I have a couple blu ray audio discs that are true 5.1.

None of mine are 7.1...in fact I don't even have any 7.1 movies.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Another vote for a nice 2 channel system for music.
Dave

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Between 5.1 and 7.1 it's more about the room the system is setup in; in my smaller bedroom 5.1 is fine (and don't even have 7.1), in my larger room 7.1 fills in a bit better. Depends on the music, too, often I just use 2ch if that's the source. For my multich music, almost all is 5.1, but I do have some 7.1 but I do generally expand 5.1 in my larger room to 7.1, but not always. It's all a matter of preference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis