patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
Hello,
I saw the movie Das Boot before I had my HT and want to buy it now. It is a great flick!
The problem is that I see three different versions available at BB. Das Boot - Widescreen 1997, Director's Cut Superbit 2003, and the original uncut version 2004.
I want the best sound foremost and my receiver can process any of the available dolby and DTS tracks. I have a 5.1 config. Which one should I get? It shouldn't be this difficult :confused:
Pat

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
I figure you can't go wrong with any superbits except they are a bit more pricey normally.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
malvado78 said:
I figure you can't go wrong with any superbits except they are a bit more pricey normally.
Excuse me for asking, but what does that mean?

Pat

R

RMK!

Das Boot

I just watched the superbit DTS Directors Cut ver. this week. Darned if the movie didn't produce the first macro blocking I have seen on my Denon 3910 LG DLP setup. I had thought I was done with MB but the early underwater scenes were really bad in terms of MB. I would be interested if others experience this.

I was disappointed in the bass (as compared to UB571) but it is an excellent film. Be sure to block out three plus hours for viewing.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
From AVSForum

The macroblocking "bug" you heard about is a problem with a specific Faroudja chip used in DVD players. The result is macroblocking as you have seen. [/qoute]

So I don't know if it would be the actual DVD or not. I know what you are talking about I just never new there was a anme for it or what caused it. It will be interesting to se if others had the problem. I have not seen this particular movie but would like to. Seems like all god movies are three hours.

patnshan

patnshan

Senior Audioholic
malvado78 said:
Check out this website about Superbit.
http://www.sonypictures.com/cthe/superbit/what_is_superbit.html

I believe most people like them. I do not have HD TV which I believe is the biggest advantage to these discs. The other advantage is I believe they all come with both DD and DTS soundtracks.

You don't need to apologize though.

Good question if you don't know.
Thanks so much. I have a GIANT non-HD RPTV so the superbit would not give me much. I would like the dual tracks though, to see which one I like. I will look at the list Muffin posted to make a choice. Thanks again.

pat

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
hidog1 said:
I was disappointed in the bass (as compared to UB571) but it is an excellent film. Be sure to block out three plus hours for viewing.
(Das Boot) I am sure you know this, but will point out to others. To hear the DTS track it must be set in German, the English is in Dolby. And does not have the same lfe extension.

R

RMK!

brian32672 said:
(Das Boot) I am sure you know this, but will point out to others. To hear the DTS track it must be set in German, the English is in Dolby. And does not have the same lfe extension.
Yavol, still lightenze on da bassen

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
patnshan said:
Hello,
I saw the movie Das Boot before I had my HT and want to buy it now. It is a great flick!
The problem is that I see three different versions available at BB. Das Boot - Widescreen 1997, Director's Cut Superbit 2003, and the original uncut version 2004.
I want the best sound foremost and my receiver can process any of the available dolby and DTS tracks. I have a 5.1 config. Which one should I get? It shouldn't be this difficult :confused:
Pat
There is a considerable difference in the length of the film when comparing the "original uncut version" with the other two. If my memory is correct, the film was originally made to be a miniseries on German TV and a theatrical film. The theatrical film, which could be seen in the U.S. in either German with subtitles, or dubbed in English, is much shorter than the miniseries. You could have purchased the theatrical release on video tape years ago. After the DVD format come out, a new "director's cut" was made, which was longer than the theatrical release and shorter than the miniseries. I believe the "original uncut version" is the entire miniseries, though I am not certain, and recommend you do a web search for details about the film.

For the best sound, it is impossible for me to say, as one would need to know about the remixing that was done for each DVD. They could all use the same sound (in the scenes common to both versions on DVD), or it could be that two of the DVDs use the same sound, but a different remix for the third, or they could all have different mixes. Again, I recommend doing a search for a web site devoted to this film, and see if you can find out whether or not they use the same mix or not. You might not be able to find out, but there is only one way to find out if you will find out by searching.

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Avoid the "original uncut version"

The "original uncut version" is the entire TV miniseries, but the picture and sound quality are FAR inferior to the "director's cut." It's a huge difference. The director essentially remade the entire soundtrack, except for the dialog tracks, when putting together the director's cut for DVD. I haven't seen the Superbit version, so I won't comment.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
RMK! said:
What were you expecting from a mid-80's european TV movie miniseries? Subwoofer technology was a different animal 20+ years ago. Thats like expecting TrueHD 7.1 on SHOGUN.

PS: Shogun should really be remade in the HD era. That would sell alot of 16x9 TVs.

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Wolfgang Petersen didn't forget about subwoofer buffs

Rock&Roll Ninja said:
What were you expecting from a mid-80's european TV movie miniseries? Subwoofer technology was a different animal 20+ years ago. Thats like expecting TrueHD 7.1 on SHOGUN.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the soundtrack on the "director's cut" has a recreated soundtrack, including all-new sound effects. There is plenty of subwoofer activity on this version (which is the same soundtrack used on the Superbit DVD, with a DTS option as well). In contrast, the "original uncut version" presents the original 1981 soundtrack and a much grainier-quality of picture. If you want to hear depth charges in your HT, U571 is probably unbeatable; but this is pretty darn loud!

The miniseries ("uncut") version is 293 minutes, the director's cut is 210 minutes, and the original theatrical release was 145 minutes.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
pbarach1 said:
The "original uncut version" is the entire TV miniseries, but the picture and sound quality are FAR inferior to the "director's cut." It's a huge difference. The director essentially remade the entire soundtrack, except for the dialog tracks, when putting together the director's cut for DVD. I haven't seen the Superbit version, so I won't comment.
Interesting. So, which is better from the standpoint of the story?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pyrrho said:
I hear Germany wins in the end of the director's cut ;)

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Macroblocking

RMK! said:
I just watched the superbit DTS Directors Cut ver. this week. Darned if the movie didn't produce the first macro blocking I have seen on my Denon 3910 LG DLP setup.
Is it true that the Faroudja chip is only used for video processing when the DVD player is connected to the TV via component video and not via HDMI?

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
Pyrrho said:
The miniseries version fleshes out the minor characters but it doesn't really change the story (although it may heighten the impact of the end for some viewers).

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
pbarach1 said:
The miniseries version fleshes out the minor characters but it doesn't really change the story (although it may heighten the impact of the end for some viewers).
Thank you for your response. I am now interested in seeing the complete miniseries, though, as I already know how it ends, I don't think the impact will be much different for me.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis