Which crossover is harder on your subwoofer?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
All of this ties together with your other questions/threads...
If you were putting that B&C driver, the 18TBW100, into a Devastator that was tuned at 20Hz, you'll see a recomendation made for a 2nd order filter perhaps at 18Hz... This is just to protect the Driver from being pushed beyond it's "safe limits" which are already being pushed by the sheer fact that that Driver is in a box tuned so far below it's Fs. Doing so, even at more moderate output levels will still require significant power.
Some of the Devastator options I've seen they use a steeper slope because the driver modeled for that box it being pushed closer to it's margin.
To the best of my knowledge, for these HPFs, it doesn't matter whether it is a Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley filter... that I've seen. I would love to see a better explanations of how to properly set an HPF (in terms of BW v. LR, and a more detailed look at the other parameters).

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Don't pull my leg, dude. I know how loud you blast it.

If I were you, I would apply some sort of subsonic filter, either one is better than nothing, and subsequently not worry about it.

I would skip the slight eq boost you've applied down low, and probably consider applying a gentle roll off below 35-40 hz. Room gain will compensate. Is your rig still in the same room?

Are you using the 1099s as your mains? They're loud af, but don't extend that deep, rolling off below 100 hz. Using 80 hz lpf on your sub is resulting in a significant gap. Is that why you have been exploring mbms? Get your mains to sub crossover sorted so you can ditch the mbms altogether.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Yes using 1099's as mains. Audyssey set the 1099's at 60hz and I changed them to 80hz. My MBM"S have chest slam and thats what theyre there for. I am not getting rid of them. Music sounds 10 times better now with the MBM's and 1099's

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Your sub and mains are hard hitting enough already. I have no idea what Audyssey measured, but your mains inherently roll off rather steeply below 100 hz. That won't change, regardless of how low the hpf is set. Between that and the 80 hz lpf on your sub, you're missing out on critical bass frequencies, so it's no wonder you're missing 'slam'. You've chosen an unnecessarily expensive and complex solution. To be fair, mbms probably benefit in terms of modal smoothing, so sure, if you've managed to seamlessly integrate them, keep 'em, but also recognize the root cause of what ails your system and how to directly address it (raise the sub's lpf to 100 hz).

Last edited:
C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Where do you have the info that the 1099's roll of at 100hz rather steeply?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis