Which crossover is harder on your subwoofer?

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering which crossover option is more likely to blow your sub? LR or BW @ 12db/octave?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just wondering which crossover option is more likely to blow your sub? LR or BW @ 12db/octave?
As the HPF, it's more a question of where you put the filter (what frequency) and the capabilities of the driver. Likewise, choosing a steeper slope can be involved based on where you want the filter to control excursion as you get down too low for the driver to function safely.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That depends entirely on capabilities and tuning.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
What do you guys need to know about my setup to determine which is harder on my sub?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've only recently started learning about setting HPFs in DIY Subs, so other than what I've already shared, this is above my pay grade. ;)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I don't listen too loud. If I ever see my Crown amps hit the red area (clipping) I turn it down immediately. And I very rarely put my amps into clipping.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't listen too loud. If I ever see my Crown amps hit the red area (clipping) I turn it down immediately. And I very rarely put my amps into clipping.
It's not just clipping that damages a driver- it's sending frequencies that it can't handle that causes more problems.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Well my 18" sub is tuned at 20hz and has a high pass crossover of 20hz. So no worries, it won't be getting frequncies it can't handle. I do have the EQ on my mini dsp set hot at 1.5db at 20hz at a Q of 1.2. So it digs a little deeper. But haven't seen clipping on the amp even with War of the Worlds.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well my 18" sub is tuned at 20hz and has a high pass crossover of 20hz. So no worries, it won't be getting frequncies it can't handle. I do have the EQ on my mini dsp set hot at 1.5db at 20hz at a Q of 1.2. So it digs a little deeper. But haven't seen clipping on the amp even with War of the Worlds.
Just for purposes of clarity, what you are asking about is specifically the HPF or High Pass Filter. This is different than a Crossover which is two filters (a high and a low pass) between two different drivers and frequency bands (I.e. the woofer and mid, or mid and tweeter, etc). A Crossover describes the point where those two Filters Cross.
;)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Oh ok well its tuned at 20hz and crossed over at 20hz HPF and 80hz LPF.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You may have a protective high pass filter at 20hz, but that's not a crossover....is the lpf at 80 to blend with the mbm? or is it the crossover you've set in the avr or ?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
What's hard on a reflex loaded subwoofer is feeding high amplitude signals at frequencies where the port and driver are decoupled. That's a recipe for a busted driver, and the whole reason to employ a subsonic filter. So in terms of difficulty on the driver, as you put it, would be as follows, from most risk of damage to least: no subsonic filter at all > 12db/oct@20hz hpf > 24db/oct@20hz hpf.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Not sure what you mean by high amplitude signals at frequencies where the port and driver are decoupled. What about the differences between LR and the BW. Which one of those will damage the sub sooner?

Last edited:
ski2xblack

ski2xblack

I assumed you were inquiring about subsonic filters, and the 12db/oct and 24db/oct correspond to BW and LR you mentioned. I also assumed you know how a hole in a box works.

"High amplitude signals" = you've cranked it to 11.

"...at frequencies where the port and driver are decoupled" = below port resonance the driver and port go out of phase.

I actually have no idea what you're asking. Neither LR nor BW type crossovers, used at the upper end of the subs to your main speakers, would damage your subs sooner, later, or in whatever intermediate time frame you care to mention. Your question just doesn't make sense.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Hmm I dont know what I was trying to ask I guess.

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
I meant with the high pass crossover... will Butterworth or LR with their different slopes make the subwoofer bottom out easier?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

As mentioned previously, a steeper slope on the hpf will offer more protection to your sub. (It's probably immaterial, unless you're into cinematic lfe content at insane volumes.)

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Nope don't listen to movies at insane volumes.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis