Which center channel speaker is easier to drive w/ my AVR?

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I have a middle of the road Yamaha RXV681 AVR w/ 90 w/2 channel @8 ohms 20-20khz, or 150w/1 channel @4 ohms at 1khz.

My left and right speakers are 86db @ 6 ohm Dynaudio Emit10 L/R speakers, so it's not uncommon to use amp at -8.5 on the volume control which is pretty near max output at '0' in a 2.0 system. I'm ready to step up to 3.0 for better dialogue clarity.

The matching Dynaudio Emit 25c center is 87db @4 ohms.
But I can get the older Excite x24c center which is 85db @8 ohms.
Which is easier on my AVR?

Thanks

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Higher sensitivity spec and higher impedance generally indicates easier to drive....but can depend somewhat on the whole impedance spectrum and particular phase angles involved....

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
Higher sensitivity spec and higher impedance generally indicates easier to drive....but can depend somewhat on the whole impedance spectrum and particular phase angles involved....
And that is the problem. One is efficient but low impedance and the other is less efficient but higher impedance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What's the particular worry? More matters what your particular use is....or move on to more capable amps....

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
What's the particular worry? More matters what your particular use is....or move on to more capable amps....
My AVR doesn't have pre outs and I don't have the funds to add a new AVR. The center is my most important need currently. Since know one seems to know the answer, I'll just buy the more timbre correct Emit 25c center.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Either should be fine with judicious use of the volume control...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I probably would not go with the 4 Ohm. Of the two, I would expect it to be more of an issue than the other one with lower sensitivity .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a middle of the road Yamaha RXV681 AVR w/ 90 w/2 channel @8 ohms 20-20khz, or 150w/1 channel @4 ohms at 1khz.

My left and right speakers are 86db @ 6 ohm Dynaudio Emit10 L/R speakers, so it's not uncommon to use amp at -8.5 on the volume control which is pretty near max output at '0' in a 2.0 system. I'm ready to step up to 3.0 for better dialogue clarity.

Thanks
Don't kid yourself, those excite speakers will also be 4 ohm, an 8 ohm for any Dynaudio speaker is fiction.

Of the two, I would go with the Emit speakers. However both speakers are horizontal MTM designs. ALL these horizontal MTM designs make very poor center speakers and are not to be recommended. A center speaker needs to be a coaxial, full range, or a three way design, with the tweeter above the mid. A phantom center is pretty much always preferable to an MTM center. It is time to dispatch horizontal MTM centers to history. Seriously consider going with a KEF coaxial center.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I decided to sell the AVR and hooke the Dynaudios back up to my Rega Mira3 integrated amp which is clearer and more dynamic anyways. And I am really impressed with the Dynaudio sound so they are keepers.
The center is an issue with this AVR so I'm done w/ a 3.0 system for now.

K

kevintomb

Junior Audioholic

Thanks

I have a couple Yamahas also, but WOW, -8.5 is LOUD in my living room. Movies, are quite decently loud on mine at about -16 at most. Only a few really low level movies have I had to move way up to -14.

For music listening, I rarely go over -18 or so, maybe -14 for some quieter classical stuff, but most rock/pop is more like -20 or a bit higher at most.

My speakers are obviously a "bit" more efficient at 89db/watt

I know you said you sold the Yamaha, but just wondering out loud, how we could both own VERY similar models yet use far different volume levels. The sensitivity of your speakers is only about 3db less or so.

I have a 12x20' living room, not big for sure, but quite absorbent, not live at all either.

My yamaha at even -14 or so is QUITE loud.

Last edited:
M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I'm sure you know every room is different Kevin. What Yammie you have too, plus 'LOUD' is relative.
We're not always listening at 8.5. It can be 22-16 but sometimes even 6. Depends on the program and this is only for a 2.0 system. I still haven't sold AVR since it's doable for 2.0, but basically I need a better avr w/ pre-outs for a Dynaudio multichannel system in our 18 x 22 living/dining room that also passes thru to a kitchen, hall, and foyer. I'm sure the Dyns would love a more dynamic powerful amp to really sing.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you like it loud then invest in a powerful amp, there's really no downside except expense....but if you do tend to use its capabilities, then it's something that may be "worth" it. I used to like it louder than I do now, been trying to be nicer to my ears last several years. The whole "making it really sing" type stuff tends to mean how clean it stays at high volume, if your speakers can do that.

M

mjcmt

Audioholic
I has nothing to do with loud...just loud enough. To hear dialogue clearly over the effects and music.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I has nothing to do with loud...just loud enough. To hear dialogue clearly over the effects and music.
Not just loud for the sake of loud, but louder with the better/cleaner overhead potential perhaps. Really does depend mostly on your actual use. Some like the capability for a demo type experience now and then rather than what would be more important for usual listening needs. Also an external amp can be had with better low impedance capabilities, and with some speakers that can be an advantage, but as to whether at modest levels it makes an audible difference....maybe :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis