Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 156 22.3%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
S

styrbjorn

Audioholic Intern
My understanding (formed primarily on this forum, so possibly ridiculous) is that speakers are like wine - there's no wrong answer, if you like it it's good, and more expensive is not necessarily better.

When I bought my first set of real speakers (B&W 683) I also auditioned Paradigm. Might have been the setup in the two different stores, but I felt the B&W's were clearly better than the Paradigm (much to my chagrin since Paradigm was cheaper).

Granted, the Paradigms were not their top-line product, but then neither were the 683's.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
My understanding (formed primarily on this forum, so possibly ridiculous) is that speakers are like wine - there's no wrong answer, if you like it it's good, and more expensive is not necessarily better.

When I bought my first set of real speakers (B&W 683) I also auditioned Paradigm. Might have been the setup in the two different stores, but I felt the B&W's were clearly better than the Paradigm (much to my chagrin since Paradigm was cheaper).

Granted, the Paradigms were not their top-line product, but then neither were the 683's.
Exactly. I've auditioned a wide-range of speakers. I've listened to Polks, Martin Logan, KEF, Magnepan, Joseph Audio, Atlantic, Energy, Boston Acoustics, Wilson, Revel, B&W, Martin Logan, to name a few. Each had a different flavor. In terms of build-quality, however, that's different. The cabinet and finish, available colors, whether they had magnetic grilles or little plastic tabs, were all different between the speakers. Since they are leading, I can tell you that I've liked the build quality of the Paradigms, but I've preferred the sound of other speakers better. It doesn't mean that the Paradigms are terrible speakers--far from it. It just means that my tastes lie elsewhere.In particular, Wilson and Revel to me sounded better top to bottom. I also enjoyed the B&W 802Ds, but they too were different. So when we use the term "best" speakers, that's a very relative term.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
The way that the voting is evolving doesn't necessarily surprise me. Paradigm gets really good press and they do make good quality speakers that typically are at a lower price point than B&W. I would also say by way of anecdotal evidence that Paradigm is probably more popular in a HT environment. What I'm surprised about are the votes for Aperion and Axiom. I would not have expected that the direct to consumer brands would have that high of a rating. It's great to see that we're getting good traction with those brands that bring good value to consumers.

C

centauro74

Audiophyte
Count me in the Aperion wagon. I'm loving my verus grand.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Goat1

Goat1

Audioholic
This thread makes no sense.. Unless you toured each manufacturing process,or owned all these speakers as the same time,how would you even know? Some speakers have a higher tech process to them.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I just now noticed the Audioholics & Home Theater Magazine review of the Klipsch THX Ultra2 KL-650 speakers... And I just could not believe how great the FR measurement is!
Hmm. Someone should have suggested these back when you were considering high sensitivity speakers. I must be slacking in my unofficial duties as the resident Klipsch addict, to have failed to do the inception thing on you regarding these is gross negligence. I suggest you audition at once!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hmm. Someone should have suggested these back when you were considering high sensitivity speakers. I must be slacking in my unofficial duties as the resident Klipsch addict, to have failed to do the inception thing on you regarding these is gross negligence. I suggest you audition at once!
LOL... Ha.... Ha..... :D

Yeah, someone dropped the ball in this one! :)

If I had known about some Klipsch THX Ultra2 speakers that measure +/-1dB on both Audioholics & HTM and cost under $1800/pr street price, I would have bought them for real! :D

I always assumed Klipsch speakers are all ~ +/-5dB because even their $20K speakers are +/-5dB.

But, holy cow, batman, a Klipsch that measures +/-1dB on both Audioholics & Home Theater Magazine ! :eek:

I may still buy it just because of this ! :eek:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You have to meet some pretty strict standards to get speakers THX approved. Also look at the speakers that get THX pm3 certification, those speakers look pretty serious. Only high end JBL, Mackie, genelec monitors can get that certification. Its a very high standard of performance to meet.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
Only high end JBL, Mackie, genelec monitors can get that certification.
One thing I would note here:
Feature Article
As romantic as it sounds, manufacturers do not simply submit a product to THX for testing and then get a yea or nay. A THX product starts with the manufacturer purchasing the expensive and confidential THX Design Manual for the product in question. THX products are designed to be THX products. The manufacturer knows what they have to do from square one.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You have to meet some pretty strict standards to get speakers THX approved. Also look at the speakers that get THX pm3 certification, those speakers look pretty serious. Only high end JBL, Mackie, genelec monitors can get that certification. Its a very high standard of performance to meet.
From what I've heard THX Ultra2 is even more strict than PM3; they are identical except Ultra2 requires Sub output down to 20Hz, whereas PM3 requires only to 35Hz with a 12dB per octave roll off.

I guess Ultra2 is for Home Theater speakers and PM3 is for Pro Monitor?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
From what I've heard THX Ultra2 is even more strict than PM3
Not by my understanding. The first thing one should note is that while specific pieces of hardware are PM3 approved, the whole kit and caboodle (including the room) has to be approved for certification. I don't know the details about low end reproduction in PM3, but it's entirely possible that while a PM3 subwoofer might not have as much extension as an Ultra 2 model, the sub/room combination would still yield reasonably flat response down low.

M

marantz1a

Audiophyte
I think nuance should also be on this list. I have seen, on forums such as this, how people bash this company for things like not giving a power rating on their speakers or "they sound like crap", and like most other people I tended to believe some of them even though I had never heard any nuance products other than in some audio store demo, and having read that they were using a special sort of software or recording, I believe it was called "Q Sound" or something or other, i was sceptical. Now then, here is a list of some of the speakers I have owned at one time or another throughout my life..... paradigm, b&w, acoustic research, sound dynamics, psb, klipsch, polk, axiom, cerwin vega cls 215, boston acoustics, energy,......... those are only the ones I can remember owning in all of my 63 years, and out of any speaker I have ever owned I have never had what we would call good , hard hitting bass, until I hooked up the cerwin vega cls 215's and I instantly knew that I would never hear bass any better, and that was true for about 8 years and then, yesterday I saw an ad in our local kijiji for a pair of nuance spatial 3's for $100. In the ad the seller was claiming to have paid $2500 and said the reason for selling was they just needed to make more room in their home. I contacted the sellers and after assurances that the speakers were in good working order and also an agreement that if they didn't work I could bring them back and they'd refund my cash, I went and bought them. On the ride home, after picking them up, all I could do was worry and keep scaring myself by thinking that I should have listened to the things people had said about this company. By the time I got home I was convinced that I had been taken for a ride and had been ripped off, in fact I turned around twice to bring them back, but then I finally ended up in my driveway. I fumbled my way inside and, after a rest for a few minutes, I got down to confirming my suspicions. After listening to these crap "don't buy'em their no good" speakers for five minutes all I can say is I will never again listen to what people have to say about a product because these are by far the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by the sound, and they exhibited just as good bass,if not better, as my cerwin vega cls215's. A word of advice: when it comes to other people only believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear 'cause you just have to go and find out for yourself!! Peace!!!! P.S. $100, LMFAO hahahahahaha what a score!!

Last edited:
E

einteractive

Audiophyte
I have been using Paradigm as well as Sonos speakers for many years and both brands are my favorite when it comes to loudspeakers.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I have been using Paradigm as well as Sonos speakers for many years and both brands are my favorite when it comes to loudspeakers.
It would be intersting to hear why they're your favorites, what do you especially like? :p

M

markybrown26

Audiophyte
Judging by what I heard here last Friday, I would say PMC by a mile.

These are not even the current model. låna pengar They were by far the best commercial speakers I have ever heard.

The BBC use these speakers exclusively and they have a client list any other manufacturer could only dream about.

Superb TL sound with absolutely no blooming in the bass, which is a signature of good TLs. The rest of the range matched the excellent bass.

AH should definitely review some of there domestic offerings. Their bookshelves are interesting, as they are all labyrinths.

I think you have a typo there.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis