Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 155 22.2%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
That advertisement used to be in just about every magazine back in the day. It was iconic and, to me, totally captured what being into what Hi Fi audio was about. And this was for Maxwell recording tape never mind speakers or receivers. Think the drink in the martini glass about to fall off the table was my favorite part. At least in the commercial he catches the glass.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I couldn't get in out of a chair that low., Lol...
That was my first thought too, as soon as I saw it this morning. Apparently, so did a bunch of others before me :).

No one mentioned that the speaker (JBL L-100) was on the floor! It made those speakers, already bass heavy, sound even boomier.

I had a wall poster of that back sometime in the 70s. I identified with that guy, even though I don't care for martinis, and I almost never wear a necktie. If there was another poster today, showing that speaker raised on a pedestal, and a much older guy sitting in a powered La-Z-Boy recliner, holding a remote control. I'd get it in a heartbeat. My drink of choice these days would be coffee, but I occasionally like a beer (amber ale) or an Old Fashioned.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Totally lost in this conversation is the topic of recording tape brand. Maxell, TDK, or Memorex. Who cares about that anymore?!

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Boys, as a Martini drinker I gotta tell you, that is not a Martini glass ! Rather a white wine glass, probably a cheap Chardonnay .........

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Totally lost in this conversation is the topic of recording tape brand. Maxell, TDK, or Memorex. Who cares about that anymore?!
Our friendly member with the three cassette decks, of course! :D

Personally, I was a Denon fan. Matched my Nikko ND-1000C very well.

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Boys, as a Martini drinker I gotta tell you, that is not a Martini glass ! Rather a white wine glass, probably a cheap Chardonnay .........
Double check the first photo in the magazine advert, pretty sure its a Martini glass. The wine glass is from the TV commerical. Prefer the martini myself, 3 olives?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Martini glasses are the absolute worst drinking contraption humans have created.

I'll take a Coupe or Nick & Nora, please. :)

And that would be a Manhattan with 3 Brandied Cherries! :D

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Double check the first photo in the magazine advert, pretty sure its a Martini glass. The wine glass is from the TV commerical. Prefer the martini myself, 3 olives?
Roger, I was referring to the vid. As for adult beverages, I'm an M&M guy, Martini's & Manhattans :D

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Roger, I was referring to the vid. As for adult beverages, I'm an M&M guy, Martini's & Manhattans :D
Manhattans? Dear lord, used to make plenty of those when I was a bartender back in the 80s. "Sex and the City" and their damn Cosmos took over their popularity. Too heavy for me now but used to like them with a Bourbon base, no cherry. There is a Churchill connection to this drink. As I recall, his mother Jenny Jerome hosted a fundraiser for some NYC politician and the drink was named after the old Manhattan club where it was held?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Manhattans? Dear lord, used to make plenty of those when I was a bartender back in the 80s. "Sex and the City" and their damn Cosmos took over their popularity. Too heavy for me now but used to like them with a Bourbon base, no cherry. There is a Churchill connection to this drink. As I recall, his mother Jenny Jerome hosted a fundraiser for some NYC politician and the drink was named after the old Manhattan club where it was held?
Rye Manhattan, here. Carpano Antica for the Vermouth. ;)

Fcuk Cosmos!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Bei
Rye Manhattan, here. Carpano Antica for the Vermouth. ;)

Fcuk Cosmos!
Being in recovery I do an intense bottled water on the rocks shaken not stirred. I know I know pretty hardcore You fellas just buckle up your seat belts and try to keep up. :D ;)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I too like a good rye Manhattan (High West, Pendleton or Redemption), my everyday Whisky is Vo and one of my favorite blends is CC 12 year 'small batch'. up or on the rocks, I drink both. A 'bada-bing' cherry is a must !

As for Martini's.......Gin , Plymouth (the original), extra dry, up with a twist.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I usually use those. They are very good and affordable. The Amarena and Luxardo Cherries are way too pricey.
affordable is a matter of where you live, I buy my years supply when I'm in Florida in March at Publix, at least 2 bucks a jar less than here in Pennsyltucky

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
affordable is a matter of where you live, I buy my years supply when I'm in Florida in March at Publix, at least 2 bucks a jar less than here in Pennsyltucky
I've been seeing the Luxardo Cherries for just under $30 a jar here in my part of Cali. Online for 25.

Bada Bings are $9 per jar.

*shrugs

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Our friendly member with the three cassette decks, of course! :D

Personally, I was a Denon fan. Matched my Nikko ND-1000C very well.
Sony Pro, (including BetaMax) Nakamichi, and Tascam we're the cassette recorders and playback devices we used. Sony/Tascam DAT and BetaMax after them.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
I don't drink, so, no nothing about what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah no fan of the cosmo/manhattan glassware myself.....nor the drinks particularly but done right can be okay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis