Which bookshelves < $150?

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
I am looking for a set of bookshelf speakers to complete my 5.1 surround sound system. These speakers with be paired with Cerwin Vega V-12F mains and a Cerwin Vega V-5C center channel. A Harman Kardon AVR-230 is the brains of the operation. I am looking a budget friendly set of bookshelves. Here are some that I have looked at:
Athena Technologies AS-B1 $129.98 @ Best Buy
Polk R15 $79.98 @ Circuit City

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I don't think you can go wrong with the Athena. I have a set of the Polks that I use as surrounds and the Athena is definately a better speaker. Check out the AS-B2s as well though...often you'll find them for $140 on ebay.

R

Rÿche 1

Audioholic
nm2285 said:
the Athena is definately a better speaker.
"better" meaning what exactly? I think people should listen for themselves. What's "better" for you (or me), might sound like crap to them.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I agree with Ryche 1. Everytime someone posts a request for a speaker recommendation I wonder why they don't listen for themselves. I'm not trying to come down on anyone. But don't you trust your own ears. I understand being steered in a general direction but deciding between two very similar bookshelfs (ex:1" dome 6"-8" woofer) is something that a buyer/listener should decide for him/her self. The ears decide :cool:

R

rack04

Junior Audioholic
The problem that I am having is that no one store locally has these speakers in the same room to compare. I am looking at either a pair of Polk R15, Athena AS-B1, or JBL E-20.

U

Unregistered

if they are going close to a wall the JBL's are out they are rear ported...and they sound a li harsh for the longest time. I had them as rears they never broke in as rears....we hooked them up to the bedroom system as mains now they sound good. The polks are front ported they can be placed against the wall and sound decent I have r20s as rears they do the job for now...athena I don't know

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis