Which Amp For Front Speakers

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Should I power the front speakers from an Anthem MRX 1140 or PVA-7 ?

Thank you

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Which Amp For Front Speakers

The MRX is a receiver and can put 140 watts into the front speakers.
The PVA is a power amp and can put 125 watts into the front speakers.

D

dolynick

Audioholic
By spec, the 1140 puts out more power but the PVA-7 may handle lower impedences a bit better and might be a cleaner sounding amp. Depends on your speakers and volume needs I guess.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Meh, I'd rather have a much more powerful external amp if using one. I wouldn't really care for one that has less capability than the avr. Then again why do you need one particularly at all? What are the speakers and system details ?

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
By spec, the 1140 puts out more power but the PVA-7 may handle lower impedences a bit better and might be a cleaner sounding amp. Depends on your speakers and volume needs I guess.
The speakers are Focal Aria 936 ... Max listen 90db

D

dolynick

Audioholic
Have you already purchased the PVA-7?
(Edit: I'm guessing so as I notice now that the PVA-7 is already discontinued)

It seems like a little bit of an odd choice here. I suspect it might do a better job overall than the 1140's internal amps (particularly if the Focals dip below 4 ohms at points), but usually going external amp is a move up in power, not down. Also, if it's only for the two front channels, something like the MCA-225 (or some other beefy 2 channel power amp) would make more sense to me in this case.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The speakers are Focal Aria 936 ... Max listen 90db
In that case, if you are watching a THX movie (e.g. star war movies), your average listening level would be around 70 dB (better use the calculator HD link to see what you need), if you don't sit too far from the Focals you are fine with the 1140's amps, so it depends. The PVA-7 would be a waste of time and money, but if you already have it, then use it to power the surround/height channels and let the 1140 take care of the LCR, or at least the LR channels, that's all based on specs/measurements, nothing subjective, just to be clear.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
Have you already purchased the PVA-7?
(Edit: I'm guessing so as I notice now that the PVA-7 is already discontinued)

It seems like a little bit of an odd choice here. I suspect it might do a better job overall than the 1140's internal amps (particularly if the Focals dip below 4 ohms at points), but usually going external amp is a move up in power, not down. Also, if it's only for the two front channels, something like the MCA-225 (or some other beefy 2 channel power amp) would make more sense to me in this case.
Thank you for your response.

I have the PVA-7 left over from my 7.2.4 days with a MRX 720.

I was thinking that handling the speaker's impedance and clarity might be better than extra wattage. Furthermore, I did check the calculator, and I'll have 100db, which I think would give me enough volume.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I was thinking that handling the speaker's impedance and clarity might be better than extra wattage. Furthermore, I did check the calculator, and I'll have 100db, which I think would give me enough volume.
How does an amp provide "clarity"?

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
How does an amp provide "clarity"?
I'm just trying to make the best decision for my front speakers.

Since you asked, (not related to my post) by being better constructed, AD or D, tube vs solid state, if all amps sounded the same why would there be so many opinions and manufactures?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm just trying to make the best decision for my front speakers.

Since you asked, (not related to my post) by being better constructed, AD or D, tube vs solid state, if all amps sounded the same why would there be so many opinions and manufactures?
I didn't say they all sound the same, altho generally if operated within their limits they would likely sound so similar as to be indistinguishable but some speakers can be more difficult for an amp in terms of impedance/phase handling or power needed, but I wouldn't choose by class. There's a lot of silly thoughts about amps by audiophiles otoh. Your PVA7 is likely fine at your listening levels for your 936s, but at what distance are you from speakers? You might review the measurements https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-measurements.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I didn't say they all sound the same, altho generally if operated within their limits they would likely sound so similar as to be indistinguishable but some speakers can be more difficult for an amp in terms of impedance/phase handling or power needed, but I wouldn't choose by class. There's a lot of silly thoughts about amps by audiophiles otoh. Your PVA7 is likely fine at your listening levels for your 936s, but at what distance are you from speakers? You might review the measurements https://www.stereophile.com/content/focal-aria-936-loudspeaker-measurements.
I read the speaker review and the wattage won't be a problem because the fronts have subwoofers. The PVA7 is supposed to handle loads down to 2 ohms, as per Anthem. Thank you for your help.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I read the speaker review and the wattage won't be a problem because the fronts have subwoofers. The PVA7 is supposed to handle loads down to 2 ohms, as per Anthem. Thank you for your help.
Your speakers don't have subs, just bass drivers and an f6 of 32hz isn't true sub territory. My JBLs are similar but I still use subs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
....but if you aren't using subs that is more work for an amp otoh. If you're eq'g extra bass that requires more amp, too. YMMV.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Very beautiful and capable speakers indeed. But subwoofers they have not.

rjharle

rjharle

Audioholic
I never claimed they were subs, When asked what speakers would be powered by the amp I responded the Aria 936. My SVS 13 Ultras and self powered. The only speakers that will be powered by the PVA7 will be the Aria 936. I apologize for any miss understanding. :)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

They look like an even match. The 1140, with 2 channel driven, will have similar current capabibilty to the PVA7. It may actally have lower distortions, hence slightly better clarity, but again, an even match.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis