Which A/V receiver will -

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Accept all of the modern inputs (ARC/HDMI, Optical, etc) from a 4K smart Tv, DVR player, and also RCA from an older CD player. Here is the kicker though, i have some great old PSB Gold Stratus speakers (4 ohm/250 program) powered by a Rotel amplifier and would like to keep that setup in place as i think it would be expensive to get a receiver with enough power for those (i don't see any passive receivers at all anymore, but that is what i started out looking for). I am guessing i am looking for something with main pre outs, but as i understand it, Zone 2 preouts will likely not work with some of the inputs. I am open to ditching the Rotel if the new receiver will have enough power. No surround sound needs, just the two mains. Budget 500 or so, cheaper is fine. Newbie and i did try search :) Thanks for any advice on what to get!

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Modern recievers arent really happy with 4ohm difficult loads so its probably a good idea to use the rotel.
Zone 2 pre out probably wont work the way you want it to so need main channels pre outs.

There is no way to passively do modern digital decoding so thats not an option. You will be looking for an AVR with pre outs or a surround processor but those are usually more expensive then the AVRs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
If you want cheap with pre out its probably used or open box/refurbished and such.

Its possible you could do optical out from tv to a 2ch dac/preamp, might be cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Thanks! I am open to used, any specific brand/model suggestions? Simple is the goal so would rather not any additional componenents/splitters/decoders.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yamaha TSR-7850R

Would this work? Thx!
That would work if you sit close to the speakers and don't listen at loud levels. For those speakers, it is best to use a 200/300 to 250/400 WPC power amp and make sure it has high enough gain for AVRs that may not do well with lower gain amps.

What kind of Rotel amp are you using with, integrated amp, or power amp? If power amp, what are you driving it with?

For $449.99, you may still be able to get an AVR-X3400H if you act quick enough.
otherwise $499.99 for the AVR-X3500H

I know you only need 2 channels, but the 7 channel avrs typically offer more power output into your 4 ohm Stratus Gold that needs a lot of current. A comparable, actually slightly more powerful two channel unit would be $899 Outlaw RR2160.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
No, this Yamaha model would not be able to handle your speakers adequately. I believe a high-end Denon or Marantz AVR would be able to hande the PSB speakers, but it would also depend on how loud you would playing it, your listening distance from the speakers.
Some of the other members should be able to answer you with better precision your basic question. But if you don't listen to music at very SPL, as mentioned, a high-end Denon or Marantz receiver should do the job without any problem.

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Thanks again for the responses. The Rotel is the RB-980BX stereo power amplifier. I'm not sure i understand the question about what is driving it? I assume it would be the pre outs (main) of the new receiver.

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Are the pre outs of the Denons suggested more powerful than the Yamaha?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
According to the product sheet for the Rotel RB-980BX amp has an input sensitivity of 1.0V, which should be easy enough for most pre-outs. I'd not worry about avr pre-outs altho there have been a Yamaha model or two with less than stellar pre-out performance (like the 860 reviewed here on AH) but afaik its not every Yamaha model.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again for the responses. The Rotel is the RB-980BX stereo power amplifier. I'm not sure i understand the question about what is driving it? I assume it would be the pre outs (main) of the new receiver.
You said "i have some great old PSB Gold Stratus speakers (4 ohm/250 program) powered by a Rotel amplifier" so I assumed you have already been using the Rotel with those speakers already, and since the RB-980BX is just a power amp, so you must have some sort of preamp or receiver to drive it right? That's why I asked what (that is, the kind/model of preamp, receivers etc..) were you driving it with. Sound like there is some misunderstanding on my part..

Regardless, most mid range AV receivers such as the Denon I suggested, can almost match the power output of the RB-980BX. So if you have already used it to power your Stratus Gold then you should be fine with the AVR-X3400H or comparable Marantz, Yamaha receivers, though I doubt you would be getting the best of the speakers using the not very powerful Rotel amp, unless as I mentioned before, you sit very close and don't listen very loud at all.

Based on available bench measurements, I do think Denon or Marantz AVR's preout are more capable then Yamaha's. However, if you stick with power amps with gain higher than or at least 29 dB, the Yamaha RX-A1080 or higher models should be fine, for power amps rated up to 200-250 WPC into 8 ohms.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
According to the product sheet for the Rotel RB-980BX amp has an input sensitivity of 1.0V, which should be easy enough for most pre-outs. I'd not worry about avr pre-outs altho there have been a Yamaha model or two with less than stellar pre-out performance (like the 860 reviewed here on AH) but afaik its not every Yamaha model.
Agreed, sensitivity looked good, compared to the newer models. I downloaded the manual too, noticed its rated just 120 W, 20-20,000 Hz, 0.04%, 220 W into 4 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%, that's marginally more powerful than a X3400H, SR5012, 6012, RX-A1080 AVR used for two channel application imo..

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, sensitivity looked good, compared to the newer models. I downloaded the manual too, noticed its rated just 120 W, 20-20,000 Hz, 0.04%, 220 W into 4 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1%, that's marginally more powerful than a X3400H, SR5012, 6012, RX-A1080 AVR used for two channel application imo..
Yes, not a particularly powerful amp from what I see....couldn't find a bench test to flesh out any particular 4 ohm capabilities....

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To be clear, if they were my Stratus Gold, I would not use any amp rated less than 200/300 W 8/4 ohms whether I sit close and/or listen loud or not. That's just me..

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
You said "i have some great old PSB Gold Stratus speakers (4 ohm/250 program) powered by a Rotel amplifier" so I assumed you have already been using the Rotel with those speakers already, and since the RB-980BX is just a power amp, so you must have some sort of preamp or receiver to drive it right? That's why I asked what (that is, the kind/model of preamp, receivers etc..) were you driving it with. Sound like there is some misunderstanding on my part..

Regardless, most mid range AV receivers such as the Denon I suggested, can almost match the power output of the RB-980BX. So if you have already used it to power your Stratus Gold then you should be fine with the AVR-X3400H or comparable Marantz, Yamaha receivers, though I doubt you would be getting the best of the speakers using the not very powerful Rotel amp, unless as I mentioned before, you sit very close and don't listen very loud at all.

Based on available bench measurements, I do think Denon or Marantz AVR's preout are more capable then Yamaha's. However, if you stick with power amps with gain higher than or at least 29 dB, the Yamaha RX-A1080 or higher models should be fine, for power amps rated up to 200-250 WPC into 8 ohms.
Thanks for the legwork guys, this place is great! And sorry about the misunderstanding, i should have posted that i have been using the Rotel RC995 preamp for many years with the 980BX and the PSBs with great results, never felt underpowered, lol! The RC995 is very outdated and does not have any inputs for digital without gizmos that seem to have mixed results at best so i am looking to update that. It sounds like you guys are saying that the 980BX isn't that powerful. I would be fine with powering the speakers directly from the new receiver if i could get similar performance and not jeopardize the receiver with the 4ohm speakers. Then i wouldn't need the pre outs, which it seems like there are many more models without. Would the Denons you recommended work better direct without the 980BX? or other suggestions? Sorry about the detour, i hadn't considered that i might not need the Rotel amp/preouts on receiver. Thx!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Me, I'd still get an avr with pre-outs just for the flexibility of using an outboard amp or not (and I tend to keep old equipment and use it rather than get rid of it). They also tend to come with a better feature set in that range. OTOH depends what you want to do down the line with speakers/subs aside from the connectivity issues for tv/digital gear (you might be able to do workarounds for that part if you are very happy with the preamp/amp/speakers otherwise).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately receivers without pre outs tend to be less powerful than those with pre outs and I cannot think of one that is rated 4 ohms.

If you don't feel the RB-980BX underpowered in this case then you are likely sitting within 10 ft and/or listening to well below reference level. So you may be happy with just using the Denon/Marantz I suggested without that small power amp. If not, you can hook up the power amp and you'll happy again.

Last edited:
L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Yes, within 10 feet and sounded loud to me but not sure if i got to reference level or not. I would probably be using phones for anything louder for family and neighbor peace. Being a fan of simplicity, i'm now thinking of powering the speakers from the receiver, is the x3400 much worse than the x3500? Also there is actually a market for Rotel older components so may be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the power amp. Thx!!!

L

Ltsft

Audiophyte
Went with the 3500 as the new have 3 year warranty. Thanks for all of the advice guys, really appreciate it!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis