where's the universal remote love?

H

hizzaah

Full Audioholic
I can't imagine everyone is rockin 3+ remotes for their systems. What UR's are you guys using? Suggestions?

I'm looking to pick one up soon, been eyeing the Logitech Harmony series but i'm not sure I want to fork over that much money for one.

I programmed as much as I could into my Onkyo remote but it doesn't support my cable box, and only works 1/2 of the functions of my BR player..

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
There's plenty of Universal remote love; do a search! They don't inflame the passions too much, so they don't take up a lot of forum space, but there's plenty there if you look for it.

I have a mid-range Harmony (the model # is escaping me right now - 700, I think). Yes, initially the price seems high, but I'd just bite the bullet. It's something you use EVERY TIME you use your system, so it quickly seems worth it once you have it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I use Crestron control systems in my home and in my installations and they tend to be phenomenal. I simply don't understand why someone will drop $2,000+ on their TV/speaker setup, $100+ a month on cable, and then think spending a couple hundred bucks on a remote which is actually capable of running everything easily is 'expensive'.

The human interface is everything and a good, easy to use remote control, is key to home theater enjoyment for everyone in the family. It's what makes it easy to use and it should be easy to use for your kids, wife, and in-laws/parents just as much as it is easy for you to use.

I typically give people a remote that says 'Cable', 'Blu-ray', 'PS3', 'Wii', and 'Off'. They press one button for what they want to do and the remote handles the rest. Typically using an RF remote so that they don't have to point the remote at something for it to work.

A reliable RF receiver is pricier than a cheap RF receiver, so it costs more, but the nearly 100% reliability of a good remote is well worth it over the course of several years of usage.

With 2 young boys in my home our 4 MX-850 remotes have not had a single failure despite some nearby hardwood floors.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Look for the Accoustic Research remotes. Cheap as compared to the logitechs and just as good.

Lulimet

Lulimet

Full Audioholic
I have a Harmony 700. It cost too much and don't even use it much.
I am not impressed with it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a Harmony 700. It cost too much and don't even use it much.
I am not impressed with it.
Too much? I just looked online and it's less than $100- you need to see what a properly programmed remote can do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My two Xoom tablets & my EVO 4G phone are my universal remotes.

They can also remotely turn on and fully control any of my PCs, server, and home thermostat from anywhere in the world with internet access.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
I must say I'm a bit of a remote and control system geek. I use all URC products mainly because I have a good dealer that will let me have the software and so far the products are very reliable. I would like to move to a crestron system but getting their software is near impossible unless you are are a dealer and I like to do it all my self.

I use a MSC-400 as the main control unit and it has 2 RF receivers, 6 RS-232 outputs, 6 IR outputs, 6 video/voltage sensors and 2 relays. I have it nearly maxed out now with only 1 relay and 2 ir ports left.

For remotes I have:

MX-980 - Theater,
MX-880 - Master Bedroom
MX-780 - Living Room
KP-900 - House system and out door speakers.
PK-900 - Garage/Workout Space

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
URC R50. $50 on Amazon and controls everything I need it to with no fuss. Simple to program, and have had no issues with it in a year of use.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Another vote here for the logitech harmony series. I'm planning on upgrading to one of the higher harmonys once I get out of college. My harmony 500 has worked faithfully for a long time, except for the activities button which had an adult beverage spilled all over it. :rolleyes:

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Originally had Harmony 880 - Buttons start to fail to register clicks after year and half. In addition bad play/stop/ff/rewind button layout

URC:

RF80 plus base - bought as kit:
Unlike harmony - this is a tank - built to withstand SUBSTANTIAL abuse. Programming remote is a tad annoying and it's not as easy as Harmony

Purchased (from eBay) and still collecting dust:
MX-900 + MRF-350 - I got the URC software, but still haven't forced myself to [strike]finish[/strike] start programming

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone else, besides DenPureSound and myself, using Android phones/tablets to control their AVRs, BD players, and HTPCs?:D

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I got a Harmony 1100. Works pretty well, but I don't use it exclusively because I keep it piled up with my other remotes, and sometimes its easier to grab the correct remote instead of cycling through the Harmony menus. I could use it by itself if I made myself though. It was easy to program, has a cool charging station (no replacing batteries) and turns on the whole system, or off at the touch of a button. I've noticed wifey likes using it more than me. I seem to find on the couch laying next to the Ipad alot.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When watching TV, I use the Dish remote because it controls just the TV and DVR. When doing anything else (movie, music, gaming), I use my universal.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Anyone else, besides DenPureSound and myself, using Android phones/tablets to control their AVRs, BD players, and HTPCs?:D
Android OS ROCKS -- Controlling Denon's and DirectTV with ASUS Transformer tablet, well worth every penny

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Android OS ROCKS -- Controlling Denon's and DirectTV with ASUS Transformer tablet, well worth every penny
I just don't see the point of universal remotes anymore, do you?:D

With these tablets/phones, you can pretty much control everything connected to the network.

DirectTV, Dish, Netflix & all streaming, BD players, AVRs, HTPCs.

You can use these tablets for internet browsing, forum chats, emails, control thermostats and lightnings (connected to network).

Use them as alarms, calendars, tasks, etc.

On the phones, you can do all these plus talk on phones.:D

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I just don't see the point of universal remotes anymore, do you?:D

With these tablets/phones, you can pretty much control everything connected to the network.

DirectTV, Dish, Netflix & all streaming, BD players, AVRs, HTPCs.

You can use these tablets for internet browsing, forum chats, emails, control thermostats and lightnings (connected to network).

Use them as alarms, calendars, tasks, etc.

On the phones, you can do all these plus talk on phones.:D
Next they will integrate the phone into one tablet device also -- HACKERS KEYBOARD is excellent :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Next they will integrate the phone into one tablet device also -- HACKERS KEYBOARD is excellent :eek:
You need to put your Transformer in your Sig like mine.:D

Your Asus Transformer Android tablet is now part of your HT system.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis