Where to find prices of old gear?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I've asked this in another thread, but I guess few saw it because it is under a different title.

Do you know of such a data base where one could find info on prices of old gear but when it was new. I'd really like to know, when I'm buying second hand, how much the price dropped.

Other than just searching around the web, is there a place where one could find out these things?
Thank you!

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Considering the literally thousands, if not tens of thousands, of components that have been in production over the decades, I don’t think a database like you’re speaking of would be feasible.

How old are you talking about? A lot of gear made in the last 10-15 years you should be able to find something about, if you search the model number with the word “review.”

Vintage gear from the 70s or 80s, you’re probably on your own. It’s worth what you’re willing to pay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
There's an Audio Bluebook on the site audiogon.com. You pay to use it. It's based on selling prices on that website. I've never used it.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
There's an Audio Bluebook on the site audiogon.com. You pay to use it. It's based on selling prices on that website. I've never used it.
Thank you.
Considering the literally thousands, if not tens of thousands, of components that have been in production over the decades, I don’t think a database like you’re speaking of would be feasible.

How old are you talking about? A lot of gear made in the last 10-15 years you should be able to find something about, if you search the model number with the word “review.”

Vintage gear from the 70s or 80s, you’re probably on your own. It’s worth what you’re willing to pay.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
The mere quantity of equipment produced is not discouraging me anymore after seeing how many uploaded pdf manuals there on the hifi-engine site. Those guys are close second for my donation when I start making more money.

But you have one point right; in reviews there is often a price quoted. It is from 1997 (MAAAN!!! I can't believe it looks so brand new, the guy must have kept it under a glass bell.)

Thank you Mr. Packleader!

xreaperx22

xreaperx22

Junior Audioholic
ebay has always been my go-to for vintage "pricing" at least to get an idea what peeps are selling for.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
ebay has always been my go-to for vintage "pricing" at least to get an idea what peeps are selling for.
Thank you. I was thinking new. As in what did the old gear went for back then when it was new.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had an older Adcom amp and preamp but wanted something with bass management. A friend 'gave' me his old Denon 3805 and he claimed to have paid over $1200 for it new. It worked so well, in fact, that when another came up locally for $75, I jumped on it and now I have two.

The JBL (S312) speakers I ended up picking up locally for $75 also, which the owner claimed to have paid about $1k for in Y2k money, but then noted that the price had dropped shortly thereafter to less than $700/pair, if he had only waited. Now he has a pair of JBL 590 that he ended up waiting for and got them for around half price, which seems like a great deal, to my ears. I wish I did not know this now. If the 590's go on sale again, I'd be sorely tempted and I don't need them so, I try not to pay too close attention to prices.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The only source I know of for original new prices in GBP are the old Hi-Fi Years books. I have a few originals, and I purchased a CD of the 1966/1967 Year Book on CD ROM a few years ago from an eBay seller.

These books published yearly from 1956 to 1981 are incredibly rare and highly valued. Looking back they are absolutely fascinating and a huge source of information not available anywhere else.

I would love to post the CD ROM here but it is 124 MB and too big to load here. I know many of you would be absolutely transfixed by it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis