Where To Buy Clips/Furring Channels/Green Glue

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I've been working for a year to finish a roughly 400 square foot downstairs room. I'm ready to start putting the room back together and my next step is to place the ceiling back on. After a layer of fiberglass insulation and another layer of Roxul Safe'n'Sound, my next step is to add the IB-1 clips, 25 gauge 7/8" furring channels, then a green glue sandwich between 2 layers of 5/8ths drywall. Once that is finished, I'll simply be adding a layer of 5/8" drywall and green glue to the existing walls.

I live in northern San Diego county in Southern California. I'm looking for a reasonably priced supplier for all of these things and so far I haven't found one. I have found a few sources online with a huge markup and higher shipping costs. I can't find any supplier with the standard IB-1 clips period (only much more expensive options). Any ideas?

I'm also looking for some specs on how many I will need. How should the furring channels be spaced? (How many furring channels per sheet of 8x4 or 10x4 drywall)? How far should the IB-1 clips be spaced? What's the max/min space from each wall should the furring channels be?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I've been working for a year to finish a roughly 400 square foot downstairs room. I'm ready to start putting the room back together and my next step is to place the ceiling back on. After a layer of fiberglass insulation and another layer of Roxul Safe'n'Sound, my next step is to add the IB-1 clips, 25 gauge 7/8" furring channels, then a green glue sandwich between 2 layers of 5/8ths drywall. Once that is finished, I'll simply be adding a layer of 5/8" drywall and green glue to the existing walls.

I live in northern San Diego county in Southern California. I'm looking for a reasonably priced supplier for all of these things and so far I haven't found one. I have found a few sources online with a huge markup and higher shipping costs. I can't find any supplier with the standard IB-1 clips period (only much more expensive options). Any ideas?

I'm also looking for some specs on how many I will need. How should the furring channels be spaced? (How many furring channels per sheet of 8x4 or 10x4 drywall)? How far should the IB-1 clips be spaced? What's the max/min space from each wall should the furring channels be?
Have you contacted any drywall companies for product install beyond run of the mill home instal?
Maybe even the green glue company might have some answers to some of your questions as well as the clip company?
Ask some drywall installers if they have done this kind of instal?

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
This project is already expensive enough without paying for labor. I plan to do everything myself.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This project is already expensive enough without paying for labor. I plan to do everything myself.
Didn't mean for you to hire them, just talk to them. Sometimes they will tell you where to get the supplies, etc. The makers of the products should have installation data sheets, loads on the clips, how many per sheet.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I finally figured out why I couldn't find a source of IB-1 clips. Apparently, "IB-1" refers to the standard. The actual commercial products don't seem to name that standard on most of their listings. Here are 2 commercial versions of the IB-1 clip I have found:

PAC RSIC-V: http://www.pac-intl.com/rsic_v.html

Resilmount A237: http://www.resilmount.com/index.php/products/us/a237

I managed to find some reasonably price furring channels on the home depot website:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Super-Stud-Building-Products-7-8-in-x-10-ft-25-Gauge-Galvanized-Steel-Furring-Channel-78100/202093381

They are 10 foot lengths for about $5.50 apiece. That's the cheapest that I have seen. The only problem is that it doesn't list the track width, and it says "product may vary from store to store". It also appears that only a select few Home Depots carry them, so I'll have to drive an hour away to purchase them.

I also found a video with a good diagram that seems to fit most clip standards. If you fast forward to the 4:16 mark, you'll see that the furring/resilient/hat channels should be 24 inches apart, and that the clips should be space, at most, 48 inches from one another, staggered across the joists as much as possible. Channels should be 3 - 6 inches from the edge of the wall/ceiling. Each wall/ceiling should have a 1/8 - 1/4 inch gap around its perimeter to keep it decoupled from the neighboring surface. That gap should be filled with acoustic caulking.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I used the PAC Int RSIC-1 clips in my old basement theater for the walls part of the ceiling and the DC04X2 version for my drop ceiling. Both worked well in isolating the sound from adjoining rooms and upstairs. Bass still got through...

I special ordered them directly from PAC Int. I got the furring strips from a construction material wholesaler...

If you search back through my posted 2004/05 you can begin to follow the build out of my basement theater. I also built a slightly raised subfloor on rubber blocks, a second row riser that acted as a giant bass trap, and a stage up front for the speakers and screen.

The auralex site used to have a booklet/guide on constructing a home theater...not equipment but actual techniques for building it out from a sound proofing perspective (like staggered studs)

Last edited:
tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I used the PAC Int RSIC-1 clips in my old basement theater for the walls part of the ceiling and the DC04X2 version for my drop ceiling. Both worked well in isolating the sound from adjoining rooms and upstairs. Bass still got through...

I special ordered them directly from PAC Int. I got the furring strips from a construction material wholesaler...
Thanks @Bryce_H ! I will make an inquiry with PAC int directly and see what they quote me on about 100 RSIC-V clips.

In the meantime, I did find a reasonably priced online source that offers free shipping with only a 10 - 20% markup on their goods:
https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/Resilmount-A237-Resilient-Sound-Isolation-Value-Clip.html
They also offer furring/hat/resilient channels. Unfortunately, they only sell them in packs of 20, which would leave me paying for about 10 - 15 more than I needed:
https://www.tmsoundproofing.com/hat-channel-20-pack.html

One of the guys from soundproofingcompany.com who is active on the forums wrote a post stating that the type of clips made increasingly less of a difference as the mass of the drop ceiling increased. He suggested that the difference was negligible with a 2x5/8" drywall green glue sandwich (which is where I'm headed). Since the RSIC-1, A237R, and "whisper" clips are literally 3x the price, I feel it would be a waste of about $300. I've also seen studies that show great results by attaching furring channels directly to each joist or stud by attaching one side of the channel per joist/stud and alternating sides at each joist/stud.

As it stands, my setup will have the following to help mitigate noise between house levels:
1 layer fiberglass insulation
1 layer ROXUL safe'n'sound insulation
IB-1 sound clips
25 gauge Furring/Hat/Resilient channels
1 Layer 5/8" drywall
2 tubes green glue per 4'x8' area
1 layer 5/8" drywall

At this point, the only other step that I could take to make any significant difference (reasonably) is to add a green glue sandwich to the under-side of the top floor sub-flooring in between each joist. I'm not doing that.

I don't want to use channels on the walls for a number of reasons (two are outside walls), so I'm only going to be using a green glue sandwich (and thin brick tile for aesthetics). The floor is concrete slab, and I'll probably adding a floating layer of OSB tongue and groove subfloor on top of a layer of foam to increase isolation against coincidence vibrations. For aesthetics, I'll put a high-end, thin, faux wood vinyl flooring on top of that.

I looked through all threads that you owned and wasn't able to find the post that showed your setup. Can you tell me what you did, or link the thread? How bad was the bass leak, and how high many decibels did you have to pump out to make it "bleed" upstairs?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I finally figured out why I couldn't find a source of IB-1 clips. ....
Great. That is what I was talking about. These products usually come with installation data.

One thing to remember that comes to mind right now is that some places you want to do double layer of sheetrock. That may require additional tracks for the weight. Call up those companies and see if that is the case.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
One thing to remember that comes to mind right now is that some places you want to do double layer of sheetrock. That may require additional tracks for the weight. Call up those companies and see if that is the case.
All of the spec sheets that I have seen show the standard installation is hat channel every 2 feet with clips spaced every 48". They are designed to hold 2 layers of 5/8" drywall in that configuration. As I said in my posts, I'll be doing a double layer with green glue across the entire ceiling.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
I finally found a good local source for furring/hat channel. I was referred to a construction supply company in Escondido by the name of J&B construction. They quoted me 10 foot, 25 gauge hat channel at about $2.60 apiece. That is far cheaper than any other place I have found it. I'm going to head down there in the morning and pick some up along with some acoustical caulking. Clips are coming in the mail next week, and I hope to get started next weekend.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

All of the spec sheets that I have seen show the standard installation is hat channel every 2 feet with clips spaced every 48". They are designed to hold 2 layers of 5/8" drywall in that configuration. As I said in my posts, I'll be doing a double layer with green glue across the entire ceiling.
If the design specs and recommendations is with a double layer, great. You may want to increase the clips and spacers if the added cost is not a lot. I overbuilt my house beyond the minimum required, rebar, insulation, etc.

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
If the design specs and recommendations is with a double layer, great. You may want to increase the clips and spacers if the added cost is not a lot. I overbuilt my house beyond the minimum required, rebar, insulation, etc.
48" is the maximum. However, the more clips you use, the worse the performance, so it's to be avoided unless necessary. One of the tricks for increasing strength is to stagger the clips from channel to channel across different joists. Most of the diagrams also show examples where the spacing must necessarily be smaller than 48" at places like the edges where the room is not easily divisible by 48".

tenshi

tenshi

Audioholic Intern
Another update: While the green glue tube markup tends to be very high on most online sites, the 5 gallon buckets can be had for the standard $295 on amazon.com with free 2 day delivery ($10 cheaper if you're willing to wait for slower shipping). I should be able to do my entire room with 2 buckets, which saves me about $200 as compared with the tubes.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
That is odd as I thought I had posted pictures as some point...I'll need to dig some up later. some bass still leaked, but I never measured it and also did not have a pre/post option as nothing was their prior.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis