R

RemdA

Audiophyte
Ok, so my new living room is 3.6M X 3.6M.
I was wondering which type of speakers am i getting since the selection is big.
Purpose of the speakers is Music prime priority (clean as possible, not looking to blast my neighbors, just clean music), computer games and movies second priority.

should i get a separate amp/4-5 speakers/subwoofer, or a home theater (which i doubt will give me clean music), or maybe 2 pairs of built-in amp monitors with amped sub?

budget is sub 1k...
type of music: some rock, classical/concerts
the player by the way is a pc with more than decent sound card.

Thanks for viewing

R

RemdA

Audiophyte
thanks for the reply...
the speakers you mentioned look awesome, but, i cannot afford them since i want at least two pairs.
i live in toronto btw.

I

Impulse

Junior Audioholic
Ah, is there any specific reason you need two seperate pairs? With a straight stereo, the music will sound much better. 4 speakers and a sub and an amp under 1k is difficult.
However i imagine it could be pulled off with something along these lines:
Bowers and Wilkins - 5" 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers (Pair) - Black Ash Vinyl - 686B

a sub that would play nicely with those will cost a bit extra, but parts express has a good number of DIY subs that arent too pricey. In terms of receivers..check your local craigslist for some older denon receivers

R

RemdA

Audiophyte
I am trying to see how IMPULSE's advice comes to play... Not bad at all...
it's above what i mentioned but pretty damn close.

the reason i was thinking 2 pairs is power, is that a mistake? would it ruin the quality?

I

Impulse

Junior Audioholic
For stereo stick to just 2 speakers, the all around sound would be not worth it at all. a nice sub and fantastic bookshelves could really do better than 4 speakers. A sub is almost necessary with bookshelves, especially when you want to party ;D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
These are kinda conflicting choices, ether you want best sound for music with mind it will near field (aka from computer) or you are interested in HT first and music as second... especially at your budget

For nearfield I wont be shamed to recommend monitors I own (and love) - JBL LSR2325P, but imo Behringer b3030a/b3031b could be a better choice due to ribbon tweeter - I wish I'd bouth them, but I did get great deal for my 2325's ($167/ea New)

For 5.1 (but still not be shame with music) my 1st recommendation would be set of Pioneer speakers designed by Andrew Jones - 2011 are dirt cheap (often on sale on newegg) and 2012 are improved yet still very affordable

For Receiver: DENON AVR-1712 is good choice or even better try to hunt for deal on kijjjj
like this one:
YAMAHA HTR 6190 RECEIVER - City of Toronto Electronics For Sale - Kijiji City of Toronto Canada.

Shipping to ontario starting from about $70 and you'd still be saving good deal of money

Becouse your room is exact square - it's the worst possible shape room for audio from room modes stand point - I highly recommend leaving a bit of budget to consider some room audio treatments (absorbtion panels and bass traps)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
should i get a separate amp/4-5 speakers/subwoofer, or a home theater (which i doubt will give me clean music), or maybe 2 pairs of built-in amp monitors with amped sub?
Shame on you!!! You've been hanging around the audiophiles again haven't you!! :mad: :D

Seriously, The exiting mid tier to top end stuff from the likes of Denon and Yamaha will hold their own against many a seperate for clean sound depending on the speakers they are driving. Matter of fact, the pre-amp of a Yamaha 1020 will mop the floor with many a high end seperates in terms of SNR, stereo seperation and THD. To dismiss them out right like you did is just plain wrong. However, your budget is a little tight for 5 speakers, a sub and an AVR. If I were you, I would make up my mind which way you want to go choosing between HT or strictly 2 channel. If you do choose the HT, pick out a pair of good book shelves and a good receiver and then build it from there.

The Pioneers designed by Andrew Jones are dirt cheap in price but deliver some serious performance.

Last edited:
GT Audio Works

GT Audio Works

Audiophyte
Going on your criteria for "clean music" and prefrence of classical/concerts some rock.. I would like to suggest you put that $1k into speakers first and use whatever old stereo receiver you may have or can get cheap. Speakers are the most influential link in the chain. I am afraid little speakers even with a sub can not put out enough in the lower mids upper bass to project the power of classical music. Have you considered electrostatics. I know a lot of people dont consider them because of their size. But because of that large radiating area they can produce great upper bass to mid range presence This is the just the ticket for classical/concerts. Dont worry about deep bass or high treble..Its the mids that make the music. And dont worry about using a cheap receiver.. A good speaker with mediocre equipment is still better than other entry level gear your gonna get at that price range. Plus you can always upgrade the amp a year or two down the road when you find a nice deal on a used tube amp. Check out Canuck Audio Mart listed under planar speakers there are a pair of Acoustat model 4 for sale listed in excellent condition for $1k
They are about a 5 hour drive from Toronto, you really need to hear them to be sure its what you want. and make sure they are in good order. Over the years I have gone far and wide seeking equipment..I have found that was half the fun !!

R

RemdA

Audiophyte
So if i buy two pairs of small (weak) monitors with built in amp and an amped sub and just connect them to the sound card as fronts rears and sub it won't have quality?

Thanks for the replies btw.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis