Where do I go from here to get an amazing theater experience...

D

dninja19

Audiophyte
Hi All, I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system for a few reasons and I'll get to that part after I explain what my current setup is.
Room: 14ft ceiling and 20x20 main area that connects to an open kitchen which is 15x20
Receiver: Onkyo TX-RZ900
Center Speaker: JBL LC2
Subwoofer: JBL L8400
Left/Right Front Speakers: Polk RTi A9 towers each powered by a SpeakerCraft SC2-100 amp
Center Ceiling Speakers: Polk 70rt
Rear Ceiling Speakers: Polk 70rt

Please note that I don't know much about these systems but I only know I love to hear great music and also want superb audio for my movie experience.

Issues: My center channel sucks when it comes to movies in surround mode, i can barely pick up voices sometimes and i tend to switch to stereo mode just to pick up what I need to hear but this defeats the surround experience. Also, my sub just started hissing and popping and i think that is now useless.

Notes: When i play music with a hi-fi stream in stereo it sounds amazing and I can rattle the entire house without distortions. My ear drums will bleed if I turn it up to high and this is what I like most about the system now (not the bleeding but the amazing earth moving sound). Movies suck for sound quality and I want an amazing theater experience. I'm not sure if I simply don't have everything tuned properly. I'm about 15ft away from the center channel when watching movies. I do run all of my HDMI connections (4) through the receiver also (adding this in case someone suggests replacing the receiver).

My Thoughts: I've read that I should match my L/R and Center speakers with the same brand so i'm not sure on what to do there. I have zeroed in on an SVS PB-3000 sub ($1400) unless i'm convinced otherwise. I'm not sure if its time to upgrade my receiver, i only have a 4k TV and don't plan on doing any 8k stuff for another 5 years or more. Perhaps my JBL stuff is garbage and replacing those two speakers would remedy my issues. Ideally I would only replace the sub and center but i'm open to the receiver also. I'd like to stay under 3.5k for all three pieces and under 2k for just speakers but i'm open to spending a little more if the upgrade would be worth it but definitely no more than 5k.

I hope that is enough for some enlightenment here and I will appreciate any input that you may have...thank you

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Hi All, I'm looking to upgrade my home theater system for a few reasons and I'll get to that part after I explain what my current setup is.
Room: 14ft ceiling and 20x20 main area that connects to an open kitchen which is 15x20
Left/Right Front Speakers: Polk RTi A9 towers each powered by a SpeakerCraft SC2-100 amp

Please note that I don't know much about these systems but I only know I love to hear great music and also want superb audio for my movie experience.

Issues: My center channel sucks when it comes to movies in surround mode, i can barely pick up voices sometimes and i tend to switch to stereo mode just to pick up what I need to hear but this defeats the surround experience. Also, my sub just started hissing and popping and i think that is now useless.

Notes: When i play music with a hi-fi stream in stereo it sounds amazing and I can rattle the entire house without distortions. My ear drums will bleed if I turn it up to high and this is what I like most about the system now (not the bleeding but the amazing earth moving sound). Movies suck for sound quality and I want an amazing theater experience. I'm not sure if I simply don't have everything tuned properly. I'm about 15ft away from the center channel when watching movies. I do run all of my HDMI connections (4) through the receiver also (adding this in case someone suggests replacing the receiver).

My Thoughts: I've read that I should match my L/R and Center speakers with the same brand so i'm not sure on what to do there. I have zeroed in on an SVS PB-3000 sub ($1400) unless i'm convinced otherwise. I'm not sure if its time to upgrade my receiver, i only have a 4k TV and don't plan on doing any 8k stuff for another 5 years or more. Perhaps my JBL stuff is garbage and replacing those two speakers would remedy my issues. Ideally I would only replace the sub and center but i'm open to the receiver also. I'd like to stay under 3.5k for all three pieces and under 2k for just speakers but i'm open to spending a little more if the upgrade would be worth it but definitely no more than 5k.

I hope that is enough for some enlightenment here and I will appreciate any input that you may have...thank you
You definitely want to match the front for sure I run an LC2 and have 0 problems with hearing it . Iam not familiar with your avr so no help there the L8400 sub is never going to fill that space get two what ever you decide on . I’d look into the newer jbl lines they would come way closer to matching the LC2 . Or find you a Polk center myself I’d look for some newer jbl towers and go from there . Another option is find you a pair of jbl l-890’s or l-880’s they pop up on eBay all the time .

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Have you set levels and distances properly?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Have you run your AVR's room calibration appropriately (from the listening positions)? What did it set for your center?

Your room is on the large side, since it shares space with the kitchen. Sitting 15 feet away from your center channel is going to be demanding of the system if it's not sensitive enough. Your LC2 is 92db/2.83v/1meter and should be able to hit 50hz on the low end, but that depends on room response, placement and crossover. Your receiver is probably doing 60~80 watts per channel when all driven (not the 140 watts which is when only 2 channels are driven). I don't see a white paper on it, so that's just my assumption. With your LC2, at 92db sensitivity, at 15 feet, 1 watt of power is already going to put you at 79db roughly which is above reference. So you should have enough power since your speaker is sensitive with headroom to spare.

If you're having trouble hearing dialog, it's likely calibration and whatever settings you're using. Not the speaker. Especially if you say you switch to stereo to hear dialog. That implies a problem with settings.

Your speakers are fine. You just need to get more into the setup, how the AVR works, how the speakers work, what all the stuff means, how to set it up, how to measure things, room response effects, acoustic treatment, what level of volume you listen at and how that is effected and performed, etc. Just deep dive into the hobby a bit so you can make better purchase decisions, or better yet, the realization that you don't need to purchase anything and it's all setup based for this particular issue you're having most likely.

Very best,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Mostly we hear the opposite complaint, it sounds better for movies than music. Hard to know what the problem is from your description, tho. What is it doing wrong when you play a movie? You have a good quality source like a bluray? Knowing more about how the system was setup might help, too. Did you use AccuEQ? Even some spl measurements from a phone using an spl meter app might help give us an idea of levels you're listening at which could help (better if you have a meter or measuring mic, tho). You've done basic things like checking connections, working on best speaker positioning, etc?

If the sub is making bad noises I'd start with that. Might try connecting one of your L/R speakers to the center channel and see if any audio issues follow but that center looks decently capable in spec....what is it crossed at now? Finding a center from Polk to match your L/R speakers well enough shouldn't be too hard in any case I'd think...

Last edited:
Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Mostly we hear the opposite complaint, it sounds better for movies than music. Hard to know what the problem is from your description, tho. What is it doing wrong when you play a movie? You have a good quality source like a bluray? Knowing more about how the system was setup might help, too. Did you use AccuEQ? Even some spl measurements from a phone using an spl meter app might help give us an idea of levels you're listening at which could help (better if you have a meter or measuring mic, tho). You've done basic things like

If the sub is making bad noises I'd start with that. Might try connecting one of your L/R speakers to the center channel and see if any audio issues follow but that center looks decently capable in spec....what is it crossed at now? Finding a center from Polk to match your L/R speakers well enough shouldn't be too hard in any case I'd think...
The LC2 is a bi-amp capable model I wonder if the straps are on and tightened down if not it could sound pretty funky with just the high end or just the low end running .

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic

My living room is 16x14x9 and a PB4000 didn't give me enough mid-bass, ULF & TR. Upgraded to a PB16 and I was underwhelmed. I now have a PSA TV1812 and I finally found what I was missing from movies.

I highly recommend a quality sub, here are a few.

PSA TV1812

Rythmik FV18PC

JTR cap 2400ULF.

For a AVR I would recommend a Denon X3700H and add a Mini-DSP-HD for your subwoofer EQ.

Invest in a Umik-1 and REW to help you tune your system.

As for speakers, get matching LCR. Here are a couple options.

Chane A2.4

Ascend 340SE

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis