Where can I find a replacement

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Hello friends,

A friend of mine has a pair of polk r30 that appears have have a bad resistor. Where does everyone buy their components at? I'm looking for what appears to be a 5W2R5J resistor ...???
IMG_20210310_144740.jpg

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That is 5 watts 2.5 ohms. Can be porcelain or ceramic or sometimes refered to as a cement resistor. Get at least a 5% tolerance or less. PartsExpress or Digi-Key or StewMac.... lots of suppliers out there. Not all will sell singles. Some only sell with minimum amounts. Someone in the U.S. will probably have a preferred supplier in mind.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
That is 5 watts 2.5 ohms. Can be porcelain or ceramic or sometimes refered to as a cement resistor. Get at least a 5% tolerance or less. PartsExpress or Digi-Key or StewMac.... lots of suppliers out there. Not all will sell singles. Some only sell with minimum amounts. Someone in the U.S. will probably have a preferred supplier in mind.
Thank you for you input that was very helpful.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe 0.22J100V actually looking back a it. Is this a resistor or capacitor?
0.22 microFarad capacitor rated at 100 volts. Those ceramic capacitors are tough and likely not damaged by the burnt out resistor. The black one in the corner is an electrolytic capacitor. The casing usually bulges out when they go bad. I don't see any physical damage on it. Likely just the resistor burnt out.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
0.22 microFarad capacitor rated at 100 volts. Those ceramic capacitors are tough and likely not damaged by the burnt out resistor. The black one in the corner is an electrolytic capacitor. The casing usually bulges out when they go bad. I don't see any physical damage on it. Likely just the resistor burnt out.
Look at the top of the cap- the lines aren't straight, so it may be 'domed'. They should look straight at any angle.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Look at the top of the cap- the lines aren't straight, so it may be 'domed'. They should look straight at any angle.
Hard to tell from that angle. Need a side profile. The value is written on the side. If Benni777 decides to replace that cap as well, keep the polarity the same. There is a white line on the bottom side in the photo and the replacement should be installed with the same orientation.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hard to tell from that angle. Need a side profile. The value is written on the side. If Benni777 decides to replace that cap as well, keep the polarity the same. There is a white line on the bottom side in the photo and the replacement should be installed with the same orientation.
Not really- if the top of the cap is actually flat, the lines will be straight from any angle. I don't see a straight line.

I would probably use a non-polar cap as a replacement, but I understand the use of a radial cap to save space.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Thanks guys, Much appreciated! I will look into the caps as well. I figure if the cost is low why not change it anyways.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks guys, Much appreciated! I will look into the caps as well. I figure if the cost is low why not change it anyways.
Just the electrolytic and the resistor. The ceramic cap will be fine. The electrolytic has a di-electric material that can leak out, or if it expands can cause the casing to bulge. You could put a flame to the ceramic and it would still work fine.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Late on the reply, but here is the cap. Looks like. Y.C 8uf 50v. 85°. But I could use any cap as long as it's a non polarized 8uf 50v electrolytic capacitor???

Attachments

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
Oddly enough, I can't seem to find these exact components.
5 watt 2.5 ohm resistors
8 uf 50v capacitors
I find near values but not sure how that would affect the overall sound and or quality. Or if it would even work???
Thoughts?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Oddly enough, I can't seem to find these exact components.
5 watt 2.5 ohm resistors
8 uf 50v capacitors
I find near values but not sure how that would affect the overall sound and or quality. Or if it would even work?
A general rule of thumb for crossover parts is that any part within 10% of the specified value can work. For a 2.5 ohm resistor, ±10% puts you in the range of 2.25 to 2.75 ohms. This 2.4 ohm $1.41 resistor should work:
Or if you want to splurge you can pay $1.69:
Both resistors are rated 10 instead of 5 watts. Those wattage ratings are failure ratings. A 10 watt resistor will handle more power than a 5 watt resistor. It will not affect your crossover to substitute a 10 watt resistor.

For an 8 µF capacitor, the same ±10% rule of thumb applies. Going higher than a 50 Volt failure rating, helps with the power handling, but doesn't affect it's performance as a capacitor. Here is an inexpensive non-polar electrolytic 8 µF rated at 100V. I hope that fits in the small space available. It can be mounted vertically.

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
A general rule of thumb for crossover parts is that any part within 10% of the specified value can work. For a 2.5 ohm resistor, ±10% puts you in the range of 2.25 to 2.75 ohms. This 2.4 ohm $1.41 resistor should work:
Or if you want to splurge you can pay $1.69:
Both resistors are rated 10 instead of 5 watts. Those wattage ratings are failure ratings. A 10 watt resistor will handle more power than a 5 watt resistor. It will not affect your crossover to substitute a 10 watt resistor.

For an 8 µF capacitor, the same ±10% rule of thumb applies. Going higher than a 50 Volt failure rating, helps with the power handling, but doesn't affect it's performance as a capacitor. Here is an inexpensive non-polar electrolytic 8 µF rated at 100V. I hope that fits in the small space available. It can be mounted vertically.

Awesomeness, thank you soo much this is helpful. I am a noob I know but am learning as I go. This will help as I will be attempting a DIY 5.2.? Soon

Benni777

Benni777

Audioholic
We ended up ordering everything we needed and rebuilt the XO. Works perfect now thanks to everyone on here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis