Where can I buy a good, but cheap av receiver.

A

Amature55555

Enthusiast
Can someone, please, tell me where I can buy a good cheap receiver. I'm cool with new, refurbished, open box, as long as there is help for set up. The last two av receivers I got needed me to create or get a driver for the receiver as a device when I plugged my pc into it as a component. One I needed the store to help, and one I got used, and it wouldn’t work with computer, the company was going to help me, but then it just broke, and I’m returning it, so I will need that computer connection help. I’ll still be using HDMI from computer and components to receiver, and HDMI out to TV. My TV is still 1080p. I’ll get a new one when I need to, it has served me well. I have 5 nice speakers, and am buying a new subwoofer since my old ones just died recently; I didn’t like them that much anyway. I’ll need basic Bluetooth. I’d prefer to buy under $250. Even expensive receivers die fast, and I can’t buy so many all the time. Let me know best places to buy av receivers cheap, but with set up help, from the manufacturer is fine.
Thanks.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can someone, please, tell me where I can buy a good cheap receiver. I'm cool with new, refurbished, open box, as long as there is help for set up. The last two av receivers I got needed me to create or get a driver for the receiver as a device when I plugged my pc into it as a component. One I needed the store to help, and one I got used, and it wouldn’t work with computer, the company was going to help me, but then it just broke, and I’m returning it, so I will need that computer connection help. I’ll still be using HDMI from computer and components to receiver, and HDMI out to TV. My TV is still 1080p. I’ll get a new one when I need to, it has served me well. I have 5 nice speakers, and am buying a new subwoofer since my old ones just died recently; I didn’t like them that much anyway. I’ll need basic Bluetooth. I’d prefer to buy under $250. Even expensive receivers die fast, and I can’t buy so many all the time. Let me know best places to buy av receivers cheap, but with set up help, from the manufacturer is fine.
Thanks.
God and cheap are incompatible. Receivers are complex and you will not find any under $250.

You need to at least double it and for anything decent triple it preferably.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Check Costco or Amazon
My onkyo 818 is still going from 13+ years ago … so much for expensive receiver, dying quick :D Although it’s only mid tier

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've not had any issue hooking my computer to several Denon receivers and an Onkyo via hdmi, no need for downloading anything. Maybe take a look at the refurbs at Accessories4Less but setup help may not be their thing so I'd call them and ask. What were the last two avrs?

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Check out Best Buy. They have open box and refurbished deals from time to time. I’ve bought both. You can have delivered free in the US and have 15 days to try and return for a full refund if you’re not satisfied. Crutchfield has open box and scratch and dent deals. Free delivery but a return charge but you get 60 days to buy and try. great customer service too.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If you buy an NEW AV receiver, it comes with a manual to set up. The back of these AVR's are self explanatory as to what hooks where. Manuals can sometimes be available on line in PDF. There might be used/new/refurbished on ebay.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
At 250, Ebay, Craigslist used. There is nothing out there New for 250 for a AVR. 350+ tax new Sony 790.

Wolfpacker98

Audiophyte
I've used ebay to peruse some used ones for a small secondary room. Pick out one you like and just make a notification for one a new listing gets published

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Ninja
You want a receiver that can power 5.1 and do 1080p via HDMI for the lowest possible price?
The used market. Since your requirements go back a decade or more, it should be easy to pick up a formerly high-end receiver of your choice.

If you want one new: Honestly.... receivers are differentiated more by features than "quality". Yea, there's some bad stuff out there; but generally it all works. Last time I went down that route I ended up with an Onkyo from Accessories4Les.

As to receivers dying fast: I'm confused by that statement (my 1989 Pioneer is still up and kicking, and my Father's 1970s Sony was still working when I parted ways with it) .

For example: This has far more features than you just asked for and is $219 new. https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr494-rb/onkyo-tx-sr494-7.2-ch-x-80-watts-bluetooth-a/v-receiver/1.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis