BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Is it true an additional item is needed besides a 4K TV, like a 'conversion box' or similar?
This is not true. If feeding a non-4K TV a 4K signal, then you may be in trouble. But, 4K TVs or projectors with proper HDMI 2.0 and HDCP2.2 (most new displays have this) will accept a standard HDMI signal from standard definition TV, to 720p, 1080i, 1080p, and the newer 4K formats.

If you have a 4K projector, and it is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant then your A/V receiver ALSO really needs to be the same. Likewise, actually sending 4K video (18Gbs) over HDMI is not all that easy. It is recommended to use a HDMI over fiber cable which is rated to 18Gbs. But, you could hook ANY HDMI device up to most 4K displays and they will work without issue.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This will be my first pj. I know there’s a learning curve that I’m on that requires actually having a projector to continue with. Given the pricing and video standards that still need to be settled, and my inclination to prefer a laser over a lamp, I thought a more entry level pj that would still be good would be a good way to go.
If I were buying a PJ from scratch, I would definitely get a 4K or at least a 4K-Enhancement PJ like the Epson 5040UB (5,000 lamp hours in Economy mode).

"Compared with standard 1080p models like the Sony HW45ES and the Epson Home Cinema 3900, it offers visibly superior resolution and image quality."

"When compared with current native 4K projectors, it delivers nearly as high quality an image."

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-5040ub-review.htm

Laser sounds enticing, but the cost difference is significant on top of 4K.

I've changed plenty of PJ lamps. Just changed the lamp in my BenQ 3 weeks ago. Easy stuff.

So these Laser PJ will last about 20K hours. What happens when the 20K hours is up if you can't replace the lamp? I guess you'll just have to replace the whole projector after about 10-13 years, assuming your laser projector lasts 10-13 years.

Last edited:
E

English210

Audioholic
If I were buying a PJ from scratch, I would definitely get a 4K or at least a 4K-Enhancement PJ like the Epson 5040UB (5,000 lamp hours in Economy mode).

"Compared with standard 1080p models like the Sony HW45ES and the Epson Home Cinema 3900, it offers visibly superior resolution and image quality."

"wWhen compared with current native 4K projectors, it delivers nearly as high quality an image."

http://www.projectorcentral.com/epson-5040ub-review.htm

Laser sounds enticing, but the cost difference is significant on top of 4K.

I've changed plenty of PJ lamps. Just changed the lamp in my BenQ 3 weeks ago. Easy stuff.

So these Laser PJ will last about 20K hours. What happens when the 20K hours is up if you can't replace the lamp? I guess you'll just have to replace the whole projector after about 10-13 years, assuming your laser projector lasts 10-13 years.
You had to go and mess with my plan...that reviewer was adamant that the $700 difference was worth it even without the 4K pixel shifting....hmmmm...

Any other opinions out there? Using the $2399 that I can get the Epson for as a max price?

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
dose any projector do 2.39:1 or do I need to do the camera lens trick I saw on youtube?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You had to go and mess with my plan...that reviewer was adamant that the $700 difference was worth it even without the 4K pixel shifting....hmmmm...

Any other opinions out there? Using the $2399 that I can get the Epson for as a max price?
4K enhancement, Bright, beautiful picture, 5K lamp hours, Motorized lens zoom and shift, PQ almost as good as Native 4K PJ that costs $10K-$15K?

What more can you ask for at this $2K price range? :D

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
dose any projector do 2.39:1 or do I need to do the camera lens trick I saw on youtube?
There is no camera lens trick on YouTube if I recall that video. Posting an off-topic question in someone else's post is really not polite. But, to answer... There are no real 2.35 projectors on the market, and if your room is really ideal for a 2.35 screen, then just zoom out to fill that 2.35 space, then zoom in to fill the 1.78 (16:9) space. The zoom method is a common way to do this, and projectors like the Epson 5040 support motorized lens memory presets to achieve this.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
thanks for the advice but this was my post. I have a 18ft wall looking for the best I can
get with a avg budget.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
thanks for the advice but this was my post. I have a 18ft wall looking for the best I can
get with a avg budget.
Geez, my bad on that. Sorry.

Then go with the 5040. It's solidly bright and the motorized lens presets allow it to switch from a 2.35 screen to a 1.78 screen setup with a button press or two.

Be aware, that you are not changing from a 1.78 projector to a 2.35 projector, you are physically taking that 1.78 native projection image and just zooming it out to make the center 2.35 portion larger. This means that the areas that are above and below the 2.35 image that are 'black' are still there. If your wall is less than super dark, it may still pick up the stray light that is in the black areas of the image and it could be visible (and distracting) on your wall.

You also must make sure that the distance you have to mount the projector fits both the 2.35 image width and the 1.78 image height. This can be determined using the projection calculator at Projector Central.

E

English210

Audioholic
get with a avg budget.
Sorry if I hijacked you, I think I stayed on topic though. The consensus seems to be that better picture quality can be obtained by a better 1080p projector than an entry level 4K one. At least in the low-mid price ranges. For me as a first-timer, the Epson seems to be the best option. For someone else who has a projector the viability of an upgrade now or wait for better 4K options could be very different.

M

massacre

Audioholic Intern
no worries, we are all trying to get the best we can. I bought a 65 4k last year and all ready having
buyers remorse. I moved late this year and now have a dedicated room 22x22. Just want to get
the best I can with in my budget and the right gear. thanks all for the help!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It really depends on the budget as to which one is a better idea. To get 4k only is OK, but what you should really be after is a projector capable of true HDR reproduction. That is why they aren't really recommended at this point as the ones that are good at HDR are up there in price.

E

English210

Audioholic
Well after all the back and forth, I went back to my Magnolia store, and he had a Sony 285ES open box for a steal. What the He!! You only live once, right? Convinced myself it would delay upgraditis, we’ll see how that goes.

Now to test-n-tune, over to that thread I go...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well after all the back and forth, I went back to my Magnolia store, and he had a Sony 285ES open box for a steal. What the He!! You only live once, right? Convinced myself it would delay upgraditis, we’ll see how that goes.

Congrats on the SONY 4K Projector! :D

Last edited:
M

maseline

Enthusiast

Nice...what did you end up getting it for?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And, more importantly... How does it look? Tell me you've fired it up at least once!
Yeah, that was back on Dec 7th. It's almost Feb. So hopefully he should have it up and running. :D

I am definitely jealous. :D

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The big jump in quality will come from the color gamut expansion with 4K, not from the resolution. The problem is that while 4K seems to be pretty happy, it's the color standard which seems to be all over the place. HDR has several standards associated with it, and projector manufacturers have really struggled with delivering on upgrades in the past decade.

DLP is almost entirely stagnant, if not devolving their technology. That is, they want to go smaller and cheaper, while dropping in quality instead of delivering a mid-tier product that is exceptional. They've had the same 1080p chip for years and years without any improvements, and while they own the entry level market (for good reason) Epson has made incredible improvements in the past few years, and their newest entry level products give DLP a run for the money.

The continued headache of fitting 8 million pixels on a 1" chip is a nightmare for developers. Only LCoS has really delivered on that promise at anything close to an affordable price to this point. But, IMO, you can get a nice Sony HW45ES today, and enjoy it for a few years, then get a new 4K projector 3-4 years down the road and have more quality than what any 4K projectors delivers today for twice the price.

I'm pretty sure that I will hang onto my W1070 for another 3-4 years before 4K will make sense and have enough standardization to be the way to go at a reasonable price.
Excellent post on 4K, logic wins out with this post! I am staying pat with my 1080p backlit full array. I want a 65" now and they are some nice deals on 55" to 65" 4K's. Had a 4k 50" unless your sitting in the 'sweet' spot it isn't worth it at lease to me it isn't. The extra money all the hassle with 4K UHD movie prices to me anyways. 8K is already out at a premium price to rich for my blood. Once the market is flooded with 8K the prices will come down then I'll make the jump

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis