When it comes to subs, do more expensive options give you anything?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Well when you put it that way... :p

I've never seen the 15As much less heard them, but the way Irv describes them in this post I have to agree. With speakers as capable as those are it wouldn't be very productive to go with a smaller sub. I think you should wait until you hear your speakers after they're all set up and decide if you still even need a sub.
Here's the Stereophile review of the 15As:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/martinlogan-masterpiece-renaissance-esl-15a-loudspeaker

These are big, powerful, complicated speakers meant for large venues, and they're not for everyone. I think they take some expertise to get them set up right, and I wouldn't want to do it without REW or OmniMic.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
If you listen to bass heavy music like rap music, a ported 12in sub or better yet dual is recommended. I know that’s not everyone’s taste though. My experience is with HSU and Rythmik but SVS PB2000 is a good option.

I also like to turn the sub levels up for action movies Feel those effects. :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Man, yeah I'd never hire an installer, but that's me. I'd rather do it myself and save a few bucks. I also agree with @William Lemmerhirt on the "sealed equals tighter bass" thing. A well designed ported sub will sound just as tight and play lower with more power. The only clear advantage I see going with sealed is if you're tight on space and have to have the smaller enclosure.

I think a pair of PC2000s would give you what you're looking for and they're a little easier to place than a big box. Have you looked into any other manufacturers? I love SVS but their really good stuff can get a little pricey. Normally I'd suggest Hsu also, but I actually read enough og this thread to see you're located in England, lol.
If I paid 20k usd for speakers, I'd make them come lol (good or bad). Mark Seaton provides the service and with a large dollar purchase I'd certainly pay for it. I'd love to have engineers come for every purchase so I can smile instead of work. :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Well, they're just dealers and are recommending the products they mainly deal/ are most used to/ get the most profit from. In this case they're pushing REL subs and Arcam AVR pretty hard.

I don't think they've put any thought in to what would work best with the MLs.
I'd make sure whatever you purchase that its has selectable crossover slopes or use an external EQ/DSP and main outs. They will give you the most integration flexibility.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In this case, it's a perk of buying lots of stuff from them. I'm not paying for it.
Can you find out what the slope from the panel to the woofers is and confirm the HPF or filter for the woofers? Their literature doesn't answer much and looks like the woofers circuit is variable below the crossover. This would be extremely useful for the sub integration.

S

Sendu

Audioholic Intern
Can you find out what the slope from the panel to the woofers is and confirm the HPF or filter for the woofers? Their literature doesn't answer much and looks like the woofers circuit is variable below the crossover. This would be extremely useful for the sub integration.
Don't know about finding that out, but for perfect integration I'd go with ML's own BalancedForce sub which has custom low pass filters for their own speakers. The cheapest is £1000 more than a SB16-Ultra though.

C

CoryW

Audioholic
I’ve spent 30 years using many different vendors. I’ve come to really love RBH passive subs. I have never been happier. I own a 10”. 12” and two twin 10” models. They were not expensive, and I was able to upgrade to newer Reference drivers, also not expensive. My current upgraded model can hit 16Hz with tremendous authority, my entire basement comes alive, and my grandson ran out of the room freaking out and screaming for Ma.

They are coming out with an extremely powerful twin 12” model this next month for $1k. That’s all I want for Christmas....

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis