Whay causes this grainy picture on my HDTV?

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
My TV is a 42 Mitsubishi RPTV HD. I have a VERY bad grainy look almost as if your in slow motion going frame by frame. All these small blocks are flickering like christmas lights! I'm running a samsung HD DVD player with DVI (gold tips) and I have it set to 1080i. It's so bad I do not want to watch movies! I'm going to try and run my component cable to see if this helps (rule out the DVI cable) and if not switch to my old DVD player. Please if anyone has some ideals let me know. Thanks Dan

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I found it was my brand new monster cable? I paid $100 for this piece of crap and the standard cable(DVI) that came with my samsung was better?? So I put my monster cable on ebay :) What other companys would be good but not like a $400 DVI cable or should I try a HDMI? I know HDMI are pretty much the same as a DVI. Inputs? :D

R

Red

Audioholic
Does the Samsung provided DVI cable work well? If so why drop the additional money on more cabling....buy some new CD's or DVD's ;) . But if it doesn't, I am using a Straightwire DVI cable from my Motorola HD cable box to my Panasonic plasma and it reproduces a very good picture.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
Well I thought that a better cable would yeild a better picture. Yes the standard cable is what I'm running the one that came with the DVD player.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It's digital man... All ones and zeroes - a better cables definitely doesn't make the zeroes more zeroed or the ones more oneish... ;)

Glad it only cost you ONE $100.00 cable to find out.

H

hrtbeat2

Audioholic
I always thought better cables made better picture, but I guess it depends on your TV and everything else.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
hrtbeat2
what type of rptv? crt , dlp, lcd
if its not a crt what is the native resolution?
have you tried different modes 720p,480p
it may be a problem with sacling then rescaling by the tv

aaron

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
hrtbeat2 said:
I always thought better cables made better picture, but I guess it depends on your TV and everything else.
That's it exactly! Everything depends on EVERYTHING! ;)

Really though, I think cables are a lot of hype. A $1.00 blister pack digital optical cable delivers the exact same data as a $250.00 Straight Wire digital optical cable. In a blind test I read about using the $2.00 cables that come stock with VCRs people could not tell the difference between the good cables and the cheap cables for video or audio. Was it an accurate test? I don't have a clue. But, in my experience, I have not really seen a difference with any cables I have ever installed in 100+ installations of high end equipment.

It falls much more on the source and the display. Keep in mind that what you are speaking of with your DVD player is a VERY common complaint and what you are viewing is converted 480i DVD material, not HD, then your Mitsubishi has to convert it again to make it work on your TV. Maybe not if it is a native 1080i CRT television.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis