What's with the new high-beam headlight thing?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
They look like what I see on the Acura web site for 2019s, but I'm not positive. Auto High Beam control is a great thing, unfortunately most of the bozos I see drive older cars.
Yeah, that's the 2019 model. Technically it passed the test. There is notes that there is some glare, but not enough to fail it. Overall, I would rather have cars with brighter, better headlights and get some glare (My car has dimming mirrors, so it doesn't actually affect me much) than people with lights so poor they can't see properly.

SheepStar

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Overall, I would rather have cars with brighter, better headlights and get some glare (My car has dimming mirrors, so it doesn't actually affect me much) than people with lights so poor they can't see properly.
Mostly in the US the problem is with people who just plain can't drive properly.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Mostly in the US the problem is with people who just plain can't drive properly.
Oh we have that in Vancouver too.

SheepStar
I think anywhere there are drivers have these problems.

It amazes me the vast difference in driver competence just in different parts of TX, much less the rest of the US.

We have anywhere from "farmer/rancher" types that don't care what the speed limit is, they aren't in a hurry so 25mph is fine...in a 55mph zone.

Then, in a lot of larger cities, you'll have people that go 75mph in that same 55mph zone.

Mix them together and you get wrecks. Lots of them. This doesn't account for the drunks or idiots that text.

When I was in high school we had an intersection in town that had so many wrecks that they put up a sign with how many had occurred the previous 3-4 years. It was over 1 per day and FINALLY dropped in part because of the sign. Nothing special about this intersection either, just people (high school kids) not paying attention.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Over the past several months I've noticed that more and more people are driving with their high-beam lights engaged all the time. Or bright LED driving lights mounted low like fog lights that are engaged all the time. What's up with this nonsense? I'm glad in my daily driver I still have an old-fashioned manual rear-view mirror, so I'm at least not blinded by these fools from behind.

And I've noticed it's not just stupid young men in clapped-out old Hondas who act like this; city buses, commercial vehicles, and especially lifted pick-up trucks. What am I missing?
I concur. This morning was especially bad. I can't decide if the brightness is due to the high-beams on or just the LED design. Terrible.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I concur. This morning was especially bad,

I concur. This morning was especially bad. I can't decide if the brightness is due to the high-beams on or just the LED design. Terrible.
I'm noticing this more and more. I'm not light sensitive, but these lights are making me think I might be.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
To me it's two separate issues. The LEDs bulbs are brighter and they give me afterimages, especially when the oncoming vehicle has a high ride height. People running with their high beams on in traffic are a separate issue, and this is the behavior I'm seeing more often. LED high beams are worse, but even halogen high beams are very annoying. It's especially common with drivers who have a burned out low-beam bulb, and they're engaging their high beams to get sufficient illumination. I realize that most people can't change their own automotive headlight bulbs, so they're postponing a fix, but IMO the police need to start issuing fix-it tickets where I live. Obviously they don't very often. Worse, as I mentioned, one of the repeated transgressors I see are city buses.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I'd like to add to this thread, LED tail lights.

Freeway, stop and go traffic, nighttime, bumper to bumper and nothing but brake light tail lights on and off as far as the eye can see. Super bright LED brake light tail lights.

All I could see ahead of me was a long red river of lights so bright I thought I was going to go blind. Especially the cars right in front of me.

What is it with these designers? Has there been any testing done by scientists to determine the long term effects of these lights? They're too bright for me.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My problem is being able to see turn signals during the day with daytime running lights being too bright right next to them.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My problem is being able to see turn signals during the day with daytime running lights being too bright right next to them.
There is cars out there that disable the DRL when the turn signal is engaged, as they're to close to other another. However it would be/could be dangers to disable a headlight when also using a turn signal.

SheepStar

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Cars are getting safety ratings based on how much they illuminate... so they are illuminating more. Including the eyes of other drivers.

The LED-vs-NotLED is seperate from a brightness discussion. The LEDs in my keyboard are quite dim.

My beef with LEDs is the cost. A single headlight assembly in my Tesla is ~$1k.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
There is cars out there that disable the DRL when the turn signal is engaged, as they're to close to other another. However it would be/could be dangers to disable a headlight when also using a turn signal.

SheepStar
Yes newer cars do that. I guess my issue is probably more with the people who modify older cars with brighter lights and the turn signals are still the factory brightness.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Over the past several months I've noticed that more and more people are driving with their high-beam lights engaged all the time. Or bright LED driving lights mounted low like fog lights that are engaged all the time. What's up with this nonsense? I'm glad in my daily driver I still have an old-fashioned manual rear-view mirror, so I'm at least not blinded by these fools from behind.

And I've noticed it's not just stupid young men in clapped-out old Hondas who act like this; city buses, commercial vehicles, and especially lifted pick-up trucks. What am I missing?
I think it goes with blowing through red lights, speeding, driving like an ass, passing on the right at very high speed and generally being a PITA.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis