What's up with the new Gladiator?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I had said 5.1 over 2.1 or in this case 2.0 was done way better then just leaving it alone...
I am talking about the new starwars 1,2,3 not 4,5,6.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Useless, you do not go back and read the posts that was originally quoted on. Anyhow, this conversation is useless, and I am done. Have a good night.. :)

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
I did and the fact still remains that you are mixing 2 things up, starwars 1,2 was never done in 2.0 or 2.1.

I for one will NOT rest until this matter is settled. :rolleyes: Please tell me y'all have nothing better to do than to misinterpret each other on our fourms and allow your conversations to degenerate into mindless arguments?

Here are some of my favorite forum rules to live by:

1) Stop thinking about what you want to say next while you are reading the reply to your post.

2) Give the benefit of the doubt once in a while

3) Assume the best about people and their comments, not the worst

Less flames, more fun. Um, goody.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Privateer said:
I did and the fact still remains that you are mixing 2 things up, starwars 1,2 was never done in 2.0 or 2.1.
Not on DVD no... But the original score was done in this manner in 1977 (2.0).
And it is great sound over a 2.0 sound.

Anyhow, this was left anonymously :rolleyes: In my PM's...

"His comments don't even require a response. Slaughter is a sophomoric term when used in that context. Obviously he has issues with his system. It must be so good, he hears all the "defects" in 99% of the recordings. Who'd want a system that does that to sound?"

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Not on DVD no... But the original score was done in this manner in 1977 (2.0).
And it is great sound over a 2.0 sound.
I just said the NEW starwars as in the phantom menace and attack of the clones!

Remember old starwars = 4,5,6 new starwars = 1,2,3!

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Privateer said:
I just said the NEW starwars as in the phantom menace and attack of the clones!

Remember old starwars = 4,5,6 new starwars = 1,2,3!
OOPS, I always think of SW 4 as actually 1, since I saw it 15+ times in the theater in 77-78'. Other than this I stand behind all my statements that a 5.1 mix is much better 99% of the time over 2.0 or 2.1 including Apocalypse Now.

Anyhow, I told Clint I am done. So I am off to bed. G.N. all :)

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Other than this I stand behind all my statements that a 5.1 mix is much better 99% of the time over 2.0 or 2.1 including Apocalypse Now.
In reguards to Apocalypse Now I am using the new redux and remastered version. The main point I was making is about the horrible sound quality in majority of movies today and the fact that Apocalypse Now sounds far better than starwars 1 and 2. Look at spider man 2 it is horrible compaired to the first one so were did they go wrong?

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Privateer said:
Look at spider man 2 it is horrible compaired to the first one so were did they go wrong?
Now this I would agree with.... But for the majority of the 1600 movies I own this is not the case about 5.1+ sound.
(However the sequel of almost all movies does not compare, and this has nothing to do with sound. But maybe this is a thing that you are trying to compare with the original. The sound on the second was ok, not great. But then again, I would not constantly watch the second movie anyway..)

Anyhow, it was great arguing with you. But one of the points I was trying to make was you need to slow down on the personalized attacks on slurs and of swear words. A good arguement is ok. But without the language...
Just slow down a bit Privateer, I have absolutely nothing against you, other than your stuff is better than mine, LOL. Hopefully you are looking at this and taking it in. You seem to have some decent knowledge, just keep it clean even in a heated situation. BTW, try to have a good day.... :)

majorloser

majorloser

Clint DeBoer said:
I for one will NOT rest until this matter is settled. :rolleyes: Please tell me y'all have nothing better to do than to misinterpret each other on our fourms and allow your conversations to degenerate into mindless arguments?

Here are some of my favorite forum rules to live by:

1) Stop thinking about what you want to say next while you are reading the reply to your post.

2) Give the benefit of the doubt once in a while

3) Assume the best about people and their comments, not the worst

Less flames, more fun. Um, goody.

Clint, you think you can start a special section for anger management? You know, like my mama used to do, make me go stand in the corner until I can behave? A sort of forum "time out" or after school detention?

BTW- Brian, your system is no slouch either! Not everybody has access to daddy's money.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
majorloser said:
BTW- Brian, your system is no slouch either! Not everybody has access to daddy's money.
What are you talking about Dave, thats momma's money. LOL..
J/K its my money, what little is left of it....

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
alandamp said:
Ya, but those movies were 3 1/2 to 4 hours long each. They would not have fit on a single disc no matter what. I think spreading a movie over multiple discs is avoided at all costs because most people don't want the movie interrupted in any way. Heck, look at how many people complain about the layer change delay, and that's a whopping 1 or 2 seconds at most. Of course I think most of these people don't realize what is going on and they assume the delay is caused by a faulty disc or player.
The delay on a layer change does not occur with all players. My original player had a delay on layer changes, but my newer (though several years old now) Sampo DVE-612(N) does not have a delay during layer changes. Given the cost of this player (and the fact that it can be easily made to play DVDs from any region, and can properly convert between NTSC and PAL), it was a very good buy.

Now that I am accustomed to no delay, I would regard a player that had one as defective. It is certainly not something one has to live with.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Pyrrho said:
The delay on a layer change does not occur with all players. My original player had a delay on layer changes, but my newer (though several years old now) Sampo DVE-612(N) does not have a delay during layer changes. Given the cost of this player (and the fact that it can be easily made to play DVDs from any region, and can properly convert between NTSC and PAL), it was a very good buy.

Now that I am accustomed to no delay, I would regard a player that had one as defective. It is certainly not something one has to live with.
Pyrrho, I hate to hurt your feelings, but every player has a delay for a layer change. It is a physical act of refocusing the laser at a different depth. That takes time. It may seem instantaneous to you, but it still takes a certain amount of time, whether it is in the millisecond range or second range. The fact that you think it is a defect for a layer change to take a second is pathetic in my estimation. If you think half a second response difference is worth getting upset about, then you need to work on your patience. :)

People complain about it because they don't realize what is going on. They don't understand that most DVDs are dual layer discs. They think their player is messed up in some way. Ignorance is the problem. If they knew what the player was doing, I think 99% of people would have no problem with it - only 99% because we have to throw you into the 1% category!!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A fast layer change is certainly desirable but does it really ruin the movie viewing 'experience' if it takes 1 second? I've seen alot of people complain about that and I personally just don't understand why.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
alandamp said:
Pyrrho, I hate to hurt your feelings, but every player has a delay for a layer change. It is a physical act of refocusing the laser at a different depth. That takes time. It may seem instantaneous to you, but it still takes a certain amount of time, whether it is in the millisecond range or second range. The fact that you think it is a defect for a layer change to take a second is pathetic in my estimation. If you think half a second response difference is worth getting upset about, then you need to work on your patience. :)

People complain about it because they don't realize what is going on. They don't understand that most DVDs are dual layer discs. They think their player is messed up in some way. Ignorance is the problem. If they knew what the player was doing, I think 99% of people would have no problem with it - only 99% because we have to throw you into the 1% category!!
You are mistaken about it being impossible to have no delay. A DVD player can be made to read ahead and buffer the data, so that its output is constant, with absolutely no delay in the output. Thus, there can be zero delay.

As for the viewing experience, films are made to be shown without such a delay, and any player that has a noticeable delay does not show the movie as the director originally intended. If you regard it as "pathetic" to want a viewing experience as close as possible to what the director intended, perhaps you also regard it as "pathetic" to want the original aspect ratio instead of pan and scan cropping.

Since one can get a player like mine new for under $100 (if they are still selling them; it is a discontinued model), there is certainly no great budgetary reason to tolerate this. Other players can also accomplish this modest task, so, again, there is no reason to put up with this if one does not like it.

As for my patience, I still watch laserdiscs from time to time, and there is a significant delay with the side change. I tolerate it without difficulty. It is something that probably no player was made to eliminate (the video is analog on laserdisc, and they stopped making them some years back, so they do not have the latest capabilities). However, if a budget laserdisc player (<$100) were available that could accomplish this more difficult task, I would buy it if it met my other requirements.

Why tolerate an UNNECESSARY deviation from perfection? But, if you are happy with a delay with your DVD player, I am not asking you to purchase anything to replace it.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
If you're really engrossed in a story, totally engaged in it, even a one second pause can bring you out of it. Now if the layer change is placed between two scenes, or during a moment of absolute stillness, then you might not notice it. But if the layer change is in the middle of a scene, or in the middle of a camera movement, then it's way noticeable, and brings you out of the experience. I have come across a few movies like this, and I can't understand why it was authored this way.

I was noticing it big time when my old Sony player was failing. The layer changes were taking longer and longer, until I stopped watching movies alltogether -- at least, until I could buy a newer player. With my Pioneer 588A, I have yet to notice any layer change at all, and honestly, the movie experience is better for it.

cheers,
supervij

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
supervij said:
If you're really engrossed in a story, totally engaged in it, even a one second pause can bring you out of it. Now if the layer change is placed between two scenes, or during a moment of absolute stillness, then you might not notice it. But if the layer change is in the middle of a scene, or in the middle of a camera movement, then it's way noticeable, and brings you out of the experience. I have come across a few movies like this, and I can't understand why it was authored this way.

I was noticing it big time when my old Sony player was failing. The layer changes were taking longer and longer, until I stopped watching movies alltogether -- at least, until I could buy a newer player. With my Pioneer 588A, I have yet to notice any layer change at all, and honestly, the movie experience is better for it.

cheers,
supervij
Amen, brother.

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
Pyrrho said:
You are mistaken about it being impossible to have no delay. A DVD player can be made to read ahead and buffer the data, so that its output is constant, with absolutely no delay in the output. Thus, there can be zero delay.

As for the viewing experience, films are made to be shown without such a delay, and any player that has a noticeable delay does not show the movie as the director originally intended. If you regard it as "pathetic" to want a viewing experience as close as possible to what the director intended, perhaps you also regard it as "pathetic" to want the original aspect ratio instead of pan and scan cropping.

Since one can get a player like mine new for under $100 (if they are still selling them; it is a discontinued model), there is certainly no great budgetary reason to tolerate this. Other players can also accomplish this modest task, so, again, there is no reason to put up with this if one does not like it.

As for my patience, I still watch laserdiscs from time to time, and there is a significant delay with the side change. I tolerate it without difficulty. It is something that probably no player was made to eliminate (the video is analog on laserdisc, and they stopped making them some years back, so they do not have the latest capabilities). However, if a budget laserdisc player (<$100) were available that could accomplish this more difficult task, I would buy it if it met my other requirements.

Why tolerate an UNNECESSARY deviation from perfection? But, if you are happy with a delay with your DVD player, I am not asking you to purchase anything to replace it.
I really hope you don't think a layer change and a pan and scan movie are the same thing. ;)

Uhhhh, the director wants you to watch his film, not a film converted to video, so he must not like DVDs period. Please find me one director that said his film was ruined because of a layer change delay. If you can, he must also hate poorly calibrated home theaters and cinemas, he must hate if you pause the movie to go get some food, etc . . . I'm guessing he really hates laserdiscs - I'm positive he didn't intend his movie to be "flipped".

Many films come on multiple reels, so there actually is a "delay" in the original film. All you have to do is watch Fight Club. They will explain this to you nicely.

Poorly timed layer changes are the fault of the movie studios, not the DVD player. Don't blame the hardware on poor software decisions. To say this layer change can be annoying is accurate, but to say it ruins a movie is ridiculous. Within seconds your mind will forget it ever happened.

Anyway, I'm glad you're happy with your DVD player. I am certainly happy with mine. :rolleyes:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
LOTR extended dvd (2 discs) is the reason im considering getting TWO players

ironlung

ironlung

Banned
Privateer said:
When you have real good equipment you can pick out the defects better in any movie, same goes for a strict 2CH music set up the better the equipment the worse poorly recorded music becomes.
I learned this the hard way. :( Not saying that I have great equipment.

Finding someting you like that is also recorded/mixed with high quality is nearly impossible(music or movie). I'm starting to ask myself why I bother?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis