What's up with my receiver going into Protect Mode only?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, the Sony unit could be faulty but the voltages are all within acceptable range. Crazy, right?
I thought I was onto something when I measured up to 600mV of noise on the line, but when that was eliminated with the GreenWave filters, that seemed to eliminate that possibility.
If you check the voltage and it is fine, then it is not the power source that killed the unit. Most likely it was tough luck, that the unit (the Sony) was already defective before you plugged it in.

Did you buy it brand new from an authorized dealer?

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think that the issue is the usual faulty thinking of chances. Your Denon failed due to age. Your Sony was a failure and your chances of having a dud is the same as everybody else. So I highly doubt you have a power problem. Those issues are very rare and you have eliminated as that as the cause already.

Its like flood ratings. We build in the US to 100 year event ratings. That means the chance of a flood in 1% per year every year. If you flood it is still 1% ext year and the year after that. So there is a 1 in 5 chance you could flood every 20 years. So building on a 100 year flood plan is dangerous. We should build to 500 year events.

Receivers are a problem, with far too many features at too low a price. They are fragile, not robust, and prone to failure. They are essentially troublesome units. Personally if I bought a receiver I would expect it to fail before I had any lengthy use from it. I really do buy for the long term with an eye to reliability. Having said that judging reliability is the most difficult aspect of any purchase.

But I try, and have a lot of gear in regular use that is very old.

In the wake of this crisis and how the world's monetary system will radically change , I suspect most of this Far Eastern junk will disappear from the market. We will return to the kind of quality that was around pre 1970s when the rot really started to set in.
I hope you're right about a return to quality. I think with what is happening now there will be a world wide down turn in the economy which will lead to a depression and an absence of goods of any quality, except at the highest end. Kind of like what happened in 2007 in spades. Now, where was your new Marantz Pre-Pro made? It's Far Eastern, right? Is it a quality piece?

S

sterling shoote

If you check the voltage and it is fine, then it is not the power source that killed the unit. Most likely it was tough luck, that the unit (the Sony) was already defective before you plugged it in.

I suppose return of the new Sony for repair or replacement will clarify. ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I suppose return of the new Sony for repair or replacement will clarify. ;)
Of course, but until then, I am 99.99% sure the issue is not his incoming power. TLSGuy and I tended to be in agreement roughly 50% of the time and in this case we agreed, so think about that;)..

One doesn't need to be an EE to figure that either, as the OP said in his first post "All other electronics in the house work as they should." :D

And by the way, to the OP, harmonics and noises don't kill a Sony AVR on powering up, voltage surge might. So if he turned it on right at the moment when was a huge spike from the incoming power line due to lightning nearby, or some heavy and dirty equipment nearby switching on, it might just do it and that would be covered by that 0.01% probability.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
I know the one for the Denon but not the Sony.

The "reset" procedure is just for "reset", not for displaying the fault history.

The button sequence for that particular model is:

With the "system setup" and "Mult EQ" buttons pressed, pressed the "On/Off" button to turn the power on. The error (protection history display) mode is set.

Now, press the "Status" button to turn on the FL display.
OK, tried the button sequence but the power won't come on with those first two buttons pressed. It won't even go into the Protect mode.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast

Bought the Sony at a Best Buy store.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Of course, but until then, I am 99.99999% sure the issue is not his incoming power. TLSGuy and I tended to be in agreement roughly 50% of the time and in this case we agreed, so think about that;)..
Yeah, I'm thinking that you're saying that your are in agreement and not who was right 50% of the time :p

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
I think that the issue is the usual faulty thinking of chances. Your Denon failed due to age. Your Sony was a failure and your chances of having a dud is the same as everybody else. So I highly doubt you have a power problem. Those issues are very rare and you have eliminated as that as the cause already.

Its like flood ratings. We build in the US to 100 year event ratings. That means the chance of a flood in 1% per year every year. If you flood it is still 1% ext year and the year after that. So there is a 1 in 5 chance you could flood every 20 years. So building on a 100 year flood plan is dangerous. We should build to 500 year events.

Receivers are a problem, with far too many features at too low a price. They are fragile, not robust, and prone to failure. They are essentially troublesome units. Personally if I bought a receiver I would expect it to fail before I had any lengthy use from it. I really do buy for the long term with an eye to reliability. Having said that judging reliability is the most difficult aspect of any purchase.

But I try, and have a lot of gear in regular use that is very old.

In the wake of this crisis and how the world's monetary system will radically change , I suspect most of this Far Eastern junk will disappear from the market. We will return to the kind of quality that was around pre 1970s when the rot really started to set in.
Fair enough.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, tried the button sequence but the power won't come on with those first two buttons pressed. It won't even go into the Protect mode.
Did you still has the Denon? The sequence won't work on the Sony. It is model specific, I got it from the service manual for your Denon so it has to work, unless the unit is completely dead.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Did you still has the Denon? The sequence won't work on the Sony. It is model specific, I got it from the service manual for your Denon so it has to work, unless the unit is completely dead.
Yes, tried it with the Denon. So maybe it really IS dead.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
I tested it right away but was stumped after the Sony didn't immediately resolve the problem and then Life got in the way. When I can, I might take it to Best Buy and ask them to plug it in. If it fails with that, then I think they would take it back under warranty. In search of answers, I did talk to a tech at Best Buy but he couldn't figure it out either. I didn't believe that the Sony would be a bust right out of the box so I didn't take it along. I know the techs at BB can be hit and miss regarding expertise.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes, tried it with the Denon. So maybe it really IS dead.
It is either totally dead or the processor is fried. If the processor failed, then of course the fault display will not work.

In case I made a typo, here's directly copied/pasted from the SM:

1585941898727.png

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tested it right away but was stumped after the Sony didn't immediately resolve the problem and then Life got in the way. When I can, I might take it to Best Buy and ask them to plug it in. If it fails with that, then I think they would take it back under warranty. In search of answers, I did talk to a tech at Best Buy but he couldn't figure it out either. I didn't believe that the Sony would be a bust right out of the box so I didn't take it along. I know the techs at BB can be hit and miss regarding expertise.
Typically these stores will only take stuff back under their own return policy....warranty is generally going to be left up to Sony to deal with. Never hurts to ask BB tho. I wouldn't expect much from a BB "tech" guy.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I hope you're right about a return to quality. I think with what is happening now there will be a world wide down turn in the economy which will lead to a depression and an absence of goods of any quality, except at the highest end. Kind of like what happened in 2007 in spades. Now, where was your new Marantz Pre-Pro made? It's Far Eastern, right? Is it a quality piece?
Yes, it is made in Vietnam! It works fine at the moment and nothing has fallen of it. Time will tell how long it works for. I have had four Marantz pre/pros. The first failed in warranty and was repaired. I have not used that for a while. I store it as an emergency replacement. I have two later models, one of which the 12 volt trigger has failed, so I have to do a workaround. Both of these are in use. I have this latest 4K Atmos pre/pro. The only problem is that the cheap and nasty measuring mic did not work right out of the box. Marantz have refused to replace it with the dealer involved also. So I used the one from the other models to level and set distance. I don't use any Audyssey EQ. In any event measurements show that the room responses could not be improved, and that Audyssey could only spoil the system, which it would. The room sounds absolutely wonderful.

S

sterling shoote

Yes, it is made in Vietnam! It works fine at the moment and nothing has fallen of it. Time will tell how long it works for. I have had four Marantz pre/pros. The first failed in warranty and was repaired. I have not used that for a while. I store it as an emergency replacement. I have two later models, one of which the 12 volt trigger has failed, so I have to do a workaround. Both of these are in use. I have this latest 4K Atmos pre/pro. The only problem is that the cheap and nasty measuring mic did not work right out of the box. Marantz have refused to replace it with the dealer involved also. So I used the one from the other models to level and set distance. I don't use any Audyssey EQ. In any event measurements show that the room responses could not be improved, and that Audyssey could only spoil the system, which it would. The room sounds absolutely wonderful.
I have pondered the Marantz Pre-Pro you recently purchased, since my 20 year old Sony TA-E9000ES is pre HDMI and, of course, no ATMOS. My OPPO-205 coupled to my analog multi-channel preamp however satisfies all multi-channel music needs, so I've hesitated pulling the trigger on the Marantz in that movie pleasure in my household is not a priority. Still, I think your Marantz is a very attractive product for a multitude of reasons, maybe even a best buy too. If I do succumb to one, I'll holler at you for set-up advice.

M

MarkS33

Enthusiast
Thanks to all for your insight. It appears that the new Sony is a lemon. I took it to another house and plugged it in and it went to Protect mode as it did in my house. I spoke with Best Buy and they pointed me to the Sony warranty system. I've contacted Sony and their repair system is shut down for the virus until further notice so I'll stand by and wait for a better time to send the unit for replacement.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think you should try Yamaha for your next pre-pro. More reliable. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis