What's the simple way to power speakers?

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Get your subs, enjoy them.

As for your bottles, use a dab of blue tack under each one. Issues solved. Anxiety free. Nice lighting!

Atmos 2 channel isn't worth it compared to 4 channel. You'd be better off doing 5.2.4 than 7.2.2 if you want to try Atmos; with a 9 channel processor. Or 7.2.4 with an 11 channel processor. I really wouldn't bother with just 2 channel Atmos, you'll get so much less out of that compared to good front stage and dual subs. And the immersion and directional of the audio is only going to start with 4 channels of Atmos; the 2 channels over head on their own have no direction, just "voice of god."

Very best,

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Roadkill,

Thanks for the pictures, they help a lot. I'm thinking to improve the Front Soundstage you may want to consider moving the position for the L&R Fronts to get more separation across all 3 speakers. Move the left one to the other side of the Door, under the light switch. Move the Bookcase closer to the TV, and put the right front speaker the same distance from the corner as the Left one. You'll not only get a better soundstage but the Ultra Towers won't bother the bookcase. I strongly urge you to go Ultras across the Fronts.

I'm really doubting you'll see a lot of benefit going to 7.2.4 in such a small space. You could be better off doing 5.2.4 and dropping the rear surrounds. What is the distance from the wall behind the TV to the back edge of the couch (which I assume is the prime listening position)?

R

RoadKill666

Enthusiast
Hi,

Get your subs, enjoy them.

As for your bottles, use a dab of blue tack under each one. Issues solved. Anxiety free. Nice lighting!

Atmos 2 channel isn't worth it compared to 4 channel. You'd be better off doing 5.2.4 than 7.2.2 if you want to try Atmos; with a 9 channel processor. Or 7.2.4 with an 11 channel processor. I really wouldn't bother with just 2 channel Atmos, you'll get so much less out of that compared to good front stage and dual subs. And the immersion and directional of the audio is only going to start with 4 channels of Atmos; the 2 channels over head on their own have no direction, just "voice of god."

Very best,
I was thinking about either not doing rear bookshelves or if I did have them above the kitchen pointed towards the couch but wasn't 100% on that. So think I should skip on the Ultra surround speakers? I had a perfect spot on the walls below both light bars picked out for the perfect spot for them.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
I was thinking about either not doing rear bookshelves or if I did have them above the kitchen pointed towards the couch but wasn't 100% on that. So think I should skip on the Ultra surround speakers? I had a perfect spot on the walls below both light bars picked out for the perfect spot for them.
I'm not a big fan of huge and copious amounts of surrounds, mostly because it depends on the content you're playing back having actual discreet channels for them, versus it just being the result of your processor emulating more channels (which is most likely as very little content has more than 5 channels). So again it depends on what your media is. I've done the 7 channel surround thing and 99.9% of the media I put through it was 5 channel discreet, so the processor at the time had to emulate things to get the extra two channels. I didn't notice it being a big step up in surround. I now see it more of a way to expand surround when you have rows of seating. For one listening location, I don't think its important at all to go 7+ channels with multiple surrounds. But if you had two or more rows of seating, then I would argue more surrounds could be important so everyone is getting that surround experience without just always being way off axis to the speakers.

I think 4 channels of Atmos will add more of a surround bubble (almost all of it emulated from the processor; unless you have truly encoded atmos content) than going 7+ channels with ear level surrounds.

You can mount your rears on the roof and aim them at your listening position when you don't have a back wall. Or you could mount them on the walls to the sides of your listening position and aim them towards the listening position to handle your rear surrounds.

Very best,

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Roadkill,

You really should take into consideration the dimensions of your room for speaker layout, as well as the angles for deviation from optimal placement. Below shows all of the Dolby Atmos recommended placement for speakers. The "side" surrounds which are typically to the left and right of the seating position(s). Your suggested spot seems to be too far forward. Your Left side surround could replace the dark (black?) colored vase on your side table (in front of the window in your photo). As you have an opening to a hallway on the right, a small compromise may be required to mount it on the left edge of the opening under the lighted shelf as ear height (when seated).

Again, please advise what is the distance from the wall where the TV is to the back of the main couch?

Again, I hope this is helpful.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really doubting you'll see a lot of benefit going to 7.2.4 in such a small space. You could be better off doing 5.2.4 and dropping the rear surrounds.
… I've done the 7 channel surround thing and 99.9% of the media I put through it was 5 channel discreet, so the processor at the time had to emulate things to get the extra two channels. I didn't notice it being a big step up in surround. I now see it more of a way to expand surround when you have rows of seating. For one listening location, I don't think its important at all to go 7+ channels with multiple surrounds. But if you had two or more rows of seating, then I would argue more surrounds could be important so everyone is getting that surround experience without just always being way off axis to the speakers.
@RoadKill666
Thanks for the photos, they help us understand your room much better. You have one row of seating facing the TV screen, not two rows. I agree with the others above who suggest you go for 5-channels instead of 7. It simply isn't worth the extra cost in speakers and amplification channels unless you have a deeper room with multiple rows of seating.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I do agree with you about a pair of 2000s being overkill for the space Jim. I didn't see where op had posted room dims. I think a pair of PB1000 Pros will offer more for than a single PB2000 Pro.
Why downgrade to 1000? Or even consider a single 12”
No such thing as bass overkill I’d say get the biggest baddest sub op can afford maybe even hsu 15” or something.
Pb4000 and up are all powerful. Other brands being more affordable for more performance like rhythmic , psa.
Forget small baby subs haha
Towers make good surrounds extra drivers help !!
Four 1000 pro may be impressive

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis