What's the scoop: Anthem AVM 90???

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
OK...
Supply chain issues and everything else aside, this was supposed to released late 2021.
There has been no news or update I've seen.

Anybody got a line on this?

(Mostly just curiosity, here as it's more than I would really want to spend on an upgrade, but the promise of what this beast is offering is pretty sexy.)

Thanks! :D

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
You are looking at March, and unfortunately out of my budget. They will do a free upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when it comes out. (AVM90 Only)

How do I know this...I just bought the AVM70 from my Audio Dealer at a Great Price!!. I was able to sell my AV8802A for $1950 on ebay, after fees around $1700, so I was happy. Chip shortage is driving used gear up.

IMG20220116200655.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You are looking at March, and unfortunately out of my budget. They will do a free upgrade to HDMI 2.1 when it comes out. (AVM90 Only)

How do I know this...I just bought the AVM70 from my Audio Dealer at a Great Price!!. I was able to sell my AV8802A for $1950 on ebay, after fees around $1700, so I was happy. Chip shortage is driving used gear up.

View attachment 53138
Ya, the ticket on the 90 is steep. It's a long shot candidate for upgrade, and I'm far from sold on it. I do love the 4 discrete Sub channels, but it's not worth an extra couple grand.

Please share your experience with your 70! I know there was a lot of discussion about bugs and other issues early on, but I've heard they got things dialed in for the most part, now.

For your 70, are they going to offer any upgrade to HDMI 2.1? I thought that was part of the early sales pitch that they would make that happen for any that bought in.

Thanks!

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What is it about the 90 that justifies the more than double cost of the 70?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
What is it about the 90 that justifies the more than double cost of the 70?
Dunno.
I'm mostly just curious about it from an academic point of view. Same as the updated JBL Synthesis AVP (SDP-58) that is supposed to come out early '22. Also likely too expensive for me, but intriguing nonetheless.
...Especially if these companies overcome the bugs and functionality issues that have nagged at them.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The AVM90 Differences
  • Advertises "Upgraded Audio Circuitry" no details as of yet.
  • Upgraded DAC (AKM 4499EQ) vs (AKM 4490EQ) on AVM70
  • 4 Independent Subwoofer Outputs vs 2 on the AVM 70
  • Free upgrade when HDMI 2.1 Board comes out, vs $500 on AVM70
Thats about all I could find out at this point.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
The AVM90 Differences
  • Advertises "Upgraded Audio Circuitry" no details as of yet.
  • Upgraded DAC (AKM 4499EQ) vs (AKM 4490EQ) on AVM70
  • 4 Independent Subwoofer Outputs vs 2 on the AVM 70
  • Free upgrade when HDMI 2.1 Board comes out, vs $500 on AVM70
Thats about all I could find out at this point.
Well, that's a bit underwhelming for an extra 4700$ (Canadian Pesos). Hopefully there's more to it than that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
On money no object basis, yes that thing sounds sexy. But for poor people like me, the AVM 70 is good enough. My only concern the Anthem's AVPs and AVRs has always been their limited expertise and experience in such complicated devices that have grown even more sophisticated and potentially problematic in the last few years.

Other than that, I also find their technical information for advanced users lacking, compared to Marantz and Yamaha's. Even AARC now seems quite limited compared the Audyssey's Editor App, let alone their recently released PC based Audyssey MultEQ X, but on that one I think I can live with. So if I can get a great price on the AVM 70 (may be Cos would give me some tips on that..), I may consider going back to AVP eventually.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
On money no object basis, yes that thing sounds sexy. But for poor people like me, the AVM 70 is good enough. My only concern the Anthem's AVPs and AVRs has always been their limited expertise and experience in such complicated devices that have grown even more sophisticated and potentially problematic in the last few years.

Other than that, I also find their technical information for advanced users lacking, compared to Marantz and Yamaha's. Even AARC now seems quite limited compared the Audyssey's Editor App, let alone their recently released PC based Audyssey MultEQ X, but on that one I think I can live with. So if I can get a great price on the AVM 70 (may be Cos would give me some tips on that..), I may consider going back to AVP eventually.
I agree, with your points, and I have to play around with Arc Genesis before I make any comments on it. I really didn't need to upgrade, but figured why not while I could get top $ for my existing 8 year old Marantz pre pro. The AVM70 got a solid score my Amir and I am not going to lie, it is damn sexy LOL.

Unlike a lot of companies, Anthem has been in the pre/pro business for a long time, since Anthem was Sonic Frontiers. My AVM30 then 50 were built like tanks. I was not a huge fan of the AVM60 or their first gen receiver, but my dealer at the time told me he sold more refurbs than actual new units because the defect rate was high.

The AMV70 was full of bugs at launch, still not completely fixed yet and ARC Genesis is still receiving significant upgrades. They definitely do not have the resources like the Denon/Marantz, but their after sale support for me has been great and there are much less layers of customer service bureaucracy to go through and I don't get connected to an outsourced call center.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree, with your points, and I have to play around with Arc Genesis before I make any comments on it. I really didn't need to upgrade, but figured why not while I could get top $ for my existing 8 year old Marantz pre pro. The AVM70 got a solid score my Amir and I am not going to lie, it is damn sexy LOL.

Unlike a lot of companies, Anthem has been in the pre/pro business for a long time, since Anthem was Sonic Frontiers. My AVM30 then 50 were built like tanks. I was not a huge fan of the AVM60 or their first gen receiver, but my dealer at the time told me he sold more refurbs than actual new units because the defect rate was high.

The AMV70 was full of bugs at launch, still not completely fixed yet and ARC Genesis is still receiving significant upgrades. They definitely do not have the resources like the Denon/Marantz, but their after sale support for me has been great and there are much less layers of customer service bureaucracy to go through and I don't get connected to an outsourced call center.
Yeah that's a great price you got for you 8802A. I finally handed my 8801 down to my son-in-law, only because I have to make room for my Hypex and Purif amps. I suppose I could have sold it for $500.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah that's a great price you got for you 8802A. I finally handed my 8801 down to my son-in-law, only because I have to make room for my Hypex and Purif amps. I suppose I could have sold it for $500.
Don't look at ebay completed sales on your AV8801... much more than $500 in excellent condition. Not sure why eBay has been so good for selling audio for me lately, but I am getting more than either US audio Mart or Audiogon when I sold my amps and now this pre pro. Side note: In the US an AV8801 sold for 1450 (which is way to high) but 1K is reasonable right now

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't look at ebay completed sales on your AV8801... much more than $500 in excellent condition. Not sure why eBay has been so good for selling audio for me lately, but I am getting more than either US audio Mart or Audiogon when I sold my amps and now this pre pro. Side note: In the US an AV8801 sold for 1450 (which is way to high) but 1K is reasonable right now
My son-in-low got it now and he will soon be using it to replace his AV7005 that was also from me. I'll let him to know in case he wants to sell the AV7005 (may still be worth $300 I guess).

The AV8801 looks brand new actually, with original box, and all accessories. It had been used for about 4 years as I replaced it with the Denon in 2017.

By the way, didn't you have the Goldenears Trinton speakers before? How's the transition to the Personas, do you consider them a major upgrade? Just curious..

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, I had the Triton Ones and I definitely enjoyed them. I would not say the persona's were a huge upgrade, but i would definitely qualify the Personas as more accurate, revealing, and detailed sounding speaker, at least that was my subjective opinion.

I remember comparing female vocals, piano and acoustic guitar tracks over and over and felt the Personas did a much better job. The knock on the 3Fs is that there is a spike at the 10khz-20khz mark, but I have not found them to be to bright or fatiguing, I even played around with EQing them a bit and didn't really notice much of an impact. I can only assume it must be my hearing lol. Unlike the GEs they do really shine with sub and I found I was listening to music more often with the Personas then I used to with the GEs. The Persona's are much easier to place in a room due to the port being on the bottom.

Biggest difference between the two is the center channel. The GE Supercenter XXL was the weak point (GE since replaced by the Reference Center). The persona is hands down the best center channel I have owned and I would put it up agains the Utopia I heard yesterday. I really liked the HVFR tweeter on the GE, but found that the Beryllium were just better all around.

Less important, but still important, the Persona's cabinet has a hugely higher WAF than the GE. :D

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
eBay is more convenient to buyers and sellers. All the payment and shipping stuff is taken care of at the time of purchase. You also get more eyeballs because eBay is a bigger site that's almost as old as the public Internet.

The flip side is the fees, of course. You'll find a lot of sellers have the same item for sale at a higher price on eBay than USAM or Agon.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
eBay is more convenient to buyers and sellers. All the payment and shipping stuff is taken care of at the time of purchase. You also get more eyeballs because eBay is a bigger site that's almost as old as the public Internet.

The flip side is the fees, of course. You'll find a lot of sellers have the same item for sale at a higher price on eBay than USAM or Agon.
Agree I would never buy on ebay, but selling...I have a 500+ 100% feedback rating, so I tend to do well

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Update:
@AVR Enthu posted on the Yamaha thread yesterday...

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Possibly explains the delay, HDMI 2.1 already implemented, says April, but I would say May...or as in "May" be the next 90 days ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Possibly explains the delay, HDMI 2.1 already implemented, says April, but I would say May...or as in "May" be the next 90 days ;)
From AVR Enthu's post, it becomes available tomorrow!

J

JDM

Enthusiast
Looks a great combo with the AVM90 and MCA 525 GEN2 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis