What's the deal with this?

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I have started looking for a new sub as I noted in a prior thread. One company I am really looking into is Paradigm, for their PS and PW series. I was looking at the stats online and I noticed something that bothered me a little. the PW 2100 is rated down to 23hz see chart here , and weighs only 42 lbs, while the PS 1000 goes down to 22hz and weighs 56 lbs see chart here . The PS is $200 (CDN) cheaper than the PW but it goes lower and weighs more? Ok, I understand the PW uses a class D amp, and the PS uses either an A or AB, so that can explain the weight difference. But the PW2200, the 12" version of the PW line, weighs 69 lbs. It shares the same amp and internal components as the 2100 and only its cabinet and driver are bigger but it weighs 27 lbs more? Something's not right.

Also the Pw2100's amp is rated as being twice as powerful as the PS1000, the pw2100 has better internal components and a higher cost, why can't it play as low? Oh well just a point to ponder. So far I'm leaning towards a PS 1200 if I go Paradigm, I can get it for a little over $700. I've got to drive out to Richmond hill (close to Toronto) to demo the HSU's and Bic's so that has to wait till I have some spare time.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
enclosure

the PS series uses a bandbass enclosure. The PW is just a basic front firint enclosure. the bandpass has another section to it, thusly adding more weight. the PW 2200 is a lot bigger the the 2100, that might explain the huge weight difference.

sheep

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
The 2200 is bigger, but that is a pretty big weight difference that I don't think the size explains. I've seen them both, the difference isn't startling. Also why does a sub that costs more (the pw2100), has better internal components, and twice the power available gets less performance than a competitor within its own brand?

cam

cam

Audioholic
I went from the ps-1000 to the pw-2200 about 14 months ago. From my experience from listening to Paradigm subs, the ps series is a serious HT performer. Big and thunderous sound when called upon with depth for just about any demanding movie soundtrack. Where the ps-1200 leaves off the pw-2200 takes over with more output and a hugely (is that a word) more improved defined bass. Now where the pw-2100 fits in, despite the specs, is right in between the ps-1000 and the ps-1200 for overall output. The output from the pw-2100 is not as much as the ps-1200 but equal to the ps-1000 but with a more controlled defined bass. Most people will be more willing to save a few bucks and get the ps-1000 or 1200 just because of the output. But for those people who want good output with good sound quality from their sub and can't either afford the pw-2200 or they don't have the room for the footprint of the pw-2200 or the ps series, then the pw-2100 is for them. I always keep in contact with a few paradigm sales guys I have dealt with in the past, and they all tell me that the pw-2100 is a slow seller. They are slow sellers because Paradigm is its own competition with its ps line.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis