What's my next move??

T

T-MC-G

Audiophyte
Okay, so I have a pair of Martin Logan motion 10's from 2009-ish. A REL T7 sub from 2013. A Yamaha RX-V473 and I'm playing music from a laptop via the HDMI cable to the receiver. My speaker cables are pretty decent, think I paid like $80 for the pair. What should be my next move for an upgrade? I have about $1500 to spend.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You overpaid for the speaker cables it sounds like. No magic in cables. Better speakers/subs are usually the path to better sound quality.....or you could get more sources to use your avr with, or more content to play....

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Not huge, it's a home office and I listen while I'm working mostly. Some critical listening when I find a new song I like.
Not huge doesn't tell me what size it is but based on "not huge" I question if that's subwoofer is adequate enough.

T

T-MC-G

Audiophyte
With your existing setup I would look at this deal for the Canton SL596.2 with a free center. It's $2000 instead of $1500 but these speakers would take your sound to a whole new level.

The other option could be the Canton Vento Reference 9.2 - $1499

These bookshelves have great PUNCH and will get your toe tapping. I love my pair.
I've never heard of those before, I'll have to do some reading up on them!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
20 feet by 30 feet
That's subwoofer is not even close to being adequate

Most of the time I would agree that speakers are definitely an upgrade but in this case I'm going to say you do not need speakers. You need subwoofers for that size space. Subwoofers are going to without a doubt change how your speaker sound and how your system performs. And in that space I do recommend two

SVS
HSU

Last edited:
T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Since it's mostly music, I'll spend your money for you. Pick up a set of these before they are gone.

Canton 836.2

Canton LS860 stands (unless you already have a place to sit speakers)

That will eat up your $1,500 budget but you'll have an awesome sound stage with a set of bookshelf speakers that are capable of digging deep and that have very accurate, smooth midrange.

If you can squeeze a few more bucks out of the budget now, or in the coming months, add a new sub equivalent to your room size and a newer receiver (if needed) for more power. Maybe a nice integrated 2 channel if you are not watching movies.

EDIT: Based on your large room size, you may be better off going with larger floor speakers but regardless these bookshelves will be awesome for music. For that sized room, the above speakers with a couple of PSA TV1512 subs and an AVR or integrated Amp with decent 2 channel power would make an excellent music setup. :)

Last edited:
T

T-MC-G

Audiophyte
Since it's mostly music, I'll spend your money for you. Pick up a set of these before they are gone.

Canton 836.2

Canton LS860 stands (unless you already have a place to sit speakers)

That will eat up your $1,500 budget but you'll have an awesome sound stage with a set of bookshelf speakers that are capable of digging deep and that have very accurate, smooth midrange.

If you can squeeze a few more bucks out of the budget now, or in the coming months, add a new sub equivalent to your room size and a newer receiver (if needed) for more power. Maybe a nice integrated 2 channel if you are not watching movies.

EDIT: Based on your large room size, you may be better off going with larger floor speakers but regardless these bookshelves will be awesome for music. For that sized room, the above speakers with a couple of PSA TV1512 subs and an AVR or integrated Amp with decent 2 channel power would make an excellent music setup. :)
Thanks for the advice, yes I'm only ever listening to music on the system.

Last question...is it better to just buy another REL T7 sub used and run them both in the room? Or when it comes to used equipment, there is a chance the sound would be off between the two subs and messed up?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the sub drivers and amps are in good condition I wouldn't worry about adding a used one (aside from the usual risks in older gear). I wouldn't buy a Rel myself, tho. An 8" sub in a room your size is lacking.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Last question...is it better to just buy another REL T7 sub used and run them both in the room? Or when it comes to used equipment, there is a chance the sound would be off between the two subs and messed up?
Just my opinion you could put four of those subs in your room and they wouldn't do anything see it's all about volume your subs have to pressurize the volume and you have a lot of it

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
20 feet by 30 feet
That’s pretty darn big. Especially for a little 8 incher. You could add another t7, bud my advice would be to sell the one you have instead of buying one, and add a quality subwoofer instead. There’s no way the t7 can add much dynamically speaking to the motion 10’s. I would bet good money by adding something more capable, your ML’s would sound even better. This is a favorite of mine.

Here’s another one.

This dual drive package is very hard to beat, but it is over budget, and it seems like maybe more than you need. But even a single would be a huge upgrade. Actually anything would. So that’s the direction I would go. New sub.

If you’re more interested in replacing the ML’s well then...that’s ok too many speakers out there too.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
While subs are great, I still think you would do well to get better speakers before spending a bunch on subs. Subs cover 20Hz to 200Hz while a great speaker will cover 50Hz to 20kHz.

Sometimes I don't even turn on my subs and it still sounds great. I can't image spending a bunch on subs when I don't have a great speaker sound to enhance first.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
While subs are great, I still think you would do well to get better speakers before spending a bunch on subs. Subs cover 20Hz to 200Hz while a GREAT SPEAKER will cover 50Hz to 20kHz.

Sometimes I don't even turn on my subs and it still sounds great. I can't image spending a bunch on subs when I don't have a great speaker sound to enhance first.
Far from great.

Frequency Response65-25kHz
Nominal Impedance4 ohms. Compatible with 4, 6 or 8 ohm rated amplifiers.
Recommended Amplifier Power20-200 watts
per channel

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Sub is lacking, but OP should focus on the main speakers first.
This is measurements of higher-end Motion 40 speakers: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/martinlogan-motion-40-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
It doesn't look very impressive to me.
What OP has is a rather big room and 80wpc AVR. I think at his budget a pair of these JBLs is really no brainer.
Currently on sale at $500/each, sometimes as low as $475. Free shipping and return included.

I'd also spend the rest on the matching center:https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+520C.html
Because if OP, later on, decides to make it into the surround sound system the center might be harder to find then.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sub is lacking, but OP should focus on the main speakers first.
This is measurements of higher-end Motion 40 speakers: https://www.soundandvision.com/content/martinlogan-motion-40-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
It doesn't look very impressive to me.
What OP has is a rather big room and 80wpc AVR. I think at his budget a pair of these JBLs is really no brainer.
Currently on sale at $500/each, sometimes as low as $475. Free shipping and return included.

I'd also spend the rest on the matching center:https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+520C.html
Because if OP, later on, decides to make it into the surround sound system the center might be harder to find then.
I was definitely thinking of the 590’s as a good upgrade to the Martin Logan’s, but it wasn’t clear if he like them. If he loves them well then. Sub is easy. If not, then the 590(on sale) and a new sub is easy too! I think the HDI series looks excellent, but out of budget. I agree, the room is big and I’m not believing the t7 is adding anything much, if at all to the ML’s. The original question is a little ambiguous too...no?

T

T-MC-G

Audiophyte
Hey Everyone thanks for the replies. Sorry if the original question is ambiguous. I definitely notice a huge difference with the REL turned on, much better, but I will admit that sometimes I find myself turning the volume up on it too high to get the bass up to what I want, but then the sub starts to sound like its playing on its own and distinctly separated from the other two speakers. I think I'm going to have to up the budget for a new sub and more power.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis