What's a good subwoofer?

Jp3

Jp3

Enthusiast
I have Cerwin VS150s for my front all my friends say, " you don't need a sub with these, well is that true? I have had these speakers since they were new I have just done without I listen to stereo sound and that is what I like I have center and rear speakers also and really just started watching more movies. I was thinking to do all Cerwin vega but what would be a good mix of a speaker? my room size, for now, is only 15X20. Next house I will have a bigger area. I was just looking around on market place to look for a deal what should i look for?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well looking at the frequency response spec of 28hz - 22khz (but without specification if it's +/- 3dB or not), even if that 28hz is the -3dB point that's not as low as a good sub would go (I tend to think of a true sub as one that has an f3 of 20Hz at least). Subs also have the advantage of being potentially better positioned in the room than the mains (the room being a great influence on bass frequency response). Personally with those speakers I'd still add a sub, particularly for movies, and probably two subs. YMMV. As to subs generally recommended here, generally its SVS, Hsu Research, Rythmik, Power Sound Audio, RSL, Monolith subs. Hard to tell you what you might find on the used market, post up your potential picks for comment.....

Jp3

Jp3

Enthusiast
Thanks, yea I am looked at used stuff not sure yet what to get, do you think it's a big deal on the diameter of the woofer? The room I have is ok but we have 2 couches and one is messing up the sound for my right side but it is crazy how small things do direct sound in the wrong way if placed in bad area

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Size alone doesn't tell the whole story (like with your speakers' woofers just because they're 15" doesn't mean they dig meaningfully deep). Generally, though it is about moving air so larger displacement tends to be an advantage. For your size room I'd probably at least look at a 12". You can try this article relating to subs and room size https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size. The quality of the sub as an overall package is what counts, tho. That's another benefit about subs, they can help spread the bass around the room and largely being omni radiators you can put them behind the couch if you want. You can review this article on basic sub positioning https://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/crawling-for-bass-subwoofer-placement.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would also use a sub with those. Many years ago I bought a pair of CV D-9.(still have them but need surrounds). They should perform similarly to yours. The problem I see here is it depends on how loud you listen. “On paper” the d9 has a sensitivity of 101db and a max output rating of 125db. I’ve never seen anyone test those could surely be fudged. I can say this. Those things could play reeeeeeally damn loud. So I you regularly listen to your Cv’s at very high volumes, you might quickly run out of useful subwoofer output. That’s mostly for music though I’d say. For movies, there’s not a chance that those CV’s can do what a good subwoofer can. Like HD said we don’t know the parameters of the specs and how they were achieved. But a competent HT sub should be solid down to a minimum of 22hz. Some of the larger ones like Rythmiks are tuned to 12hz. For comparison most sealed subs start rolling off between 30-35hz and medium sized ported ones are around 20-22. Cheaper ported ones roll off higher. Normally between 25-30hz. That’s about the range of your CV’s. So while I still absolutely recommend a
sub/s here, I think you’ll need to take a real look at budget. If you’re super strapped, I’d look at the Dayton that mazersteven linked, but iirc the 1200 had better numbers.
If you listen well below the limits of the CV’s then the equation will be different.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis