What Would You Like to See In Future Mid Class Receivers?

What would you like to see in future mid class A/V receivers?

• Ability to drive 4 ohm loads better / More power

Votes: 42 42.9%
  • Improved audio quality

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Video Scaling / Upconversion

Votes: 38 38.8%
  • TrueHD audio support / HDMI ver 1.3 / IEEE1394

Votes: 58 59.2%
  • More bass management options

Votes: 42 42.9%
  • Easier set up

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Room correction down to 20Hz on all channels, including the sub

Votes: 52 53.1%
  • XM / Sirius Radio

Votes: 11 11.2%
  • IPod Connectivity

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • THX Certification

Votes: 20 20.4%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
If your option isn't listed, please add it in this thread. Also, please elaborate on your choice(s) and reasoning behind them.

When this thread has a significant amount of votes and feedback, we will submit it to the major manufacturers for their consideration much like we did in the past with our Receiver/Processor Wish List. Note that a majority of the items on that list are now common place among the leading manufacturers.

HookedOnSound

HookedOnSound

Full Audioholic
Make it simple silly!

I really hope mfg's focus more attention on providing a positive setup experience. This is an area where there is alot of descrepancies among mfg's.

I don't just mean auto-calibration either. Things like a well thought out user manual, good GUI and even remote control esthetics are all important.

What good is it if you have 100% of all the features you need if can't find a way to logically/intuitively use them?

I definitely consider Easy Setup features a big priority on my list.

Sincerely,

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Digital Room Correction and fully digital hi rez MC inputs top my list, as does complete & correct bass management on all inputs. Add to that Tripath or ICEpower amplification and you have the perfect receiver.

While we're at it, my second tier list would include video upconversion to HDMI and 3 or more sets of MC analog inputs.

Lastly, I'd like to see more user friendly programmable remotes, ones that aren't just an afterthought.

S

Sleestack

Senior Audioholic
Room correction is an absolute necessity IMO. Once you experience it, you can never go back.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Room correction is a definite must, as well as power. I can sacrifice a few DSP modes for more juice. Video upscaling is a must too if you have older/analog only components. As far as audio quality goes, improvement would be nice, but it's already very good. If they keep the same level here and improve other areas, I'd have no beef.

Zer0beaT

Zer0beaT

Junior Audioholic
I picked that Dolby TrueHD. Hopefully they come out with a new audio format superior to DVDA/SACD in fidelity. That's the only thing that will get me to pre-maturely upgrade my reciever (that I just bought a few months ago)

But I'd really, really love to be able to have saved EQ/Level/Speaker size etc. setups (like user created EQ setups) on the reciever that I could name for use with any media. Example, have a setup for multi-channel music, a setup for dramas, setup for action movies etc. and be able to cycle through them like Pro Logic decoders. I also like to be able to turn speakers on or off with 7 channel playback, like take out the center channel just by toggling it on and off if a wanted with the push of a button or two.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
If I could improve on surround sound receivers (as a whole, not just midfi), I'd make it simpler to add an external eq. Some of the better midfi receivers have built in graphic eq's. Some even have parametric eq's. But they just don't have the dB or Hz control of the stand alone models. Outboard models are much more efficient to adjust than going through an OSD. The new Behringer and AudioControl models would be a dream if they integrated properly with these surround sound receivers. Just ask WmAx.

http://www.behringer.com/DEQ2496/index.cfm?lang=ENG

http://www.hometheateraudiocontrol.com/product.asp?Product_Id=19872&d_Id=16463&l1=16158&l2=16463

Sometime ago, when 5.1 took over, manufacturers did away with the standard tape monitor button. This was a simple but effective way of accessing an outboard eq.

Surround sound receivers have a tape loop, but it's extremely hard to access unless you run your eq looped through zone two from one component, to zone one on another. Ever try recording audio through a surround sound receiver? It's not that simple. That's what it's like trying to get an outboard eq to work.

The only other feasible way to utilize an outboard eq (currently) is to run your cd player to an eq, then the eq to the cd input. You can do this for other two channel inputs (ie, vcr, phono, tv, dvd in stereo mode), but not digital broadcasts. Manufacturers need 1) a way to easily hook up a multi-channel eq, and 2) the ability to eq digital surround broadcasts.

Manufacturers make 5 and 7 channel eq's, but they are not easily hooked up to these surround sound receivers unless you use them between your unit and the pre-outs to an outboard amp. That really defeats the purpose of a receiver.

This could be a huge step in easing up room correction issues. It's not an end all, but for those few who are familiar with the benefits of eq's, they can vouch for their value in dialing in some great sound.

Last edited:
rgriffin25

rgriffin25

I voted for "TrueHD audio support / HDMI ver 1.3 / IEEE1394". I would love to get rid of my 6ch analog cables. Talk about less clutter!

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
#1 for me would be, Room correction down to 20Hz on all channels, including the sub. I belive this would help more people. (If it's done correctly) Lets face it not every one who wants great sound wants to spend the time and energy that the true audiophile is willing to.

#2 would be more power/4ohm load abilaty. That would open up so many more speaker choices and give more head room.

If two of the most important things to audio are speakers and the room then these two abilatys would give me more speaker choices, so i can pick the "best" speakers for my room with out limitations(other than money):( , and then make them almost "perfect".:)

X

Xsound

Full Audioholic
Have to agree with some of the other posters. The current sound quality from mid-fi up is really good. If it were to stay the same so the manufacturers could focus on other areas, I wouldn't complain at all.

for me the biggies are true HD audio support, video scaling, and room correction down to 20hz. The second tier would begin with 4ohm ability.

One thing not mentioned that a few companies have toyed with is upgradeability. Firmware, or whatever form it may take (don't know all the correct terminology). realize that this can't be put on all levels, but a certain amount of future proofing on a 1K investment would be nice.

N

nowonder

Audioholic Intern
How about HDMI switching with more than two inputs? By this time next year I'll likely have four HDMI players (DVD, cable box, xbox360(?) and ps3) so the current offerings will be outdated.

--nw

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Modular reciever

A streamlined modular chassis is the way to go, choosing ONLY the plug and play modules the buyer needs or wants. You get core processing capability of the Denon AVR-5805 in terms of Auto Setup and Audyssey room correction, but without all the frou frou of processing schemes (Hall, Club, etc.) and multiple zones (mabye one zone 2).

The buyer is free to choose what kind of reciever they want. Since there's only so much chassis space (this is a streamlined box remember), you choose different modules such as:

1. HDMI and DVI switching and Coax and Toslink inputs, or
Analogue (DVD Audio, phono, etc.)

2. AM/FM tuner, or
satellite radio tuner

3. Five channels of 140 watt quality amplification, or
seven channels at 100 watts (one central power supply to keep costs reasonable).

For those who need all the above connnections (like on the Denon 5805), look elswhere, this one is targeted to those value minded consumers who demand high quality, but don't need every friggen gadget in the book and the price that goes with it. If I could get Audyssey room correction, HDMI/DVI switching and five channles of quality amplification for under $2K, I would have what I want and only what I need. It pisses me off paying for stuff I'll never use.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
more watts!
getting a separate amp is really a bummer

if yamaha could add 5 watts for every DSP they remove ... :rolleyes:

H

hunnybunny2383

Audioholic Intern
I know that this might seem like wishful thinking but here is my wish list:

I would like to see a mid-priced receiver with Dolby True HD, Audessey room EQ, Bass management down to 20Hz, Bass management for a multiple sub setup ie. Denon 5805, THX sound modes (very flexible on this one) and pre outs for 9.1 (7.1 plus pressence channels). Now I know that nothing comes without compromise so something to get rid of in my opinion would be all those useless DSP modes, and multiple room capabilities. Take that extra power and put it back in the main room channels or add to pressence so they can be ran with surround back speakers. Well just a thought!!:D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I guess I'm a bit cloudy on the definition of mid-class. My definition is, among other things, it already has some type of room correction. If not that would be my choice.
Running a close second is better user friendlyness. Not so much in the set-up but rather everyday use. While I have no problem getting my Yamaha 1500 to do what I want; My girlfriend, a far cry from a stupid girl, would rather burn it than use. Simply because of the complexity of the menu and remote.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
More HDMI/DVI switching. I'd like 5 digital video inputs and 1 DV output. Also 5 digital inputs to go with them, optik & RCA please. You could also drop composite video, & analog audio inputs.... who hooks up a 8-Track to their 7.1 AVR????

I'd also rather see more AV preamps than receivers. I can always just buy more amps.

K

Kurt C.

Audioholic Intern
I'm sick of everyone, including me, wondering whether we need more power.

I'd like to have an advanced clipping indicator that would say of how much of the available power is being used (a la some of the McIntosh Amps).

This could be included as part of the auto setup feature.
For example, after all speakers have been connected and normalized, gradually louder test tones that simulate a loud action scene would be played. The user would indicate when an uncomfortably loud level is reached. If this level exceeds a certain percentage, say 90% of the receiver's output capability, a notice/warning saying the user should exchange the receiver for one with more power would be displayed.

D

dponeill

Junior Audioholic
I would like to see more receivers (Denon does this) that have selectable outputs for two sets of surroud speakers. What works best for movies rarely work well for multi-channel music and being able to assign one set of speakers for the multi-channel input and another for everything else works out very well.

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
If it doesn't have an HD Radio tuner I wouldn't even call it a Receiver

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I want to see component and digital video support with upconversion to DVI/HDMI on all video inputs with corresponding digital audio connections assignable to any input. other than tape, VCR and phono we don't need but a couple analog inputs anymore, but we still need phono inputs back. Most people have a preamp either in their turntable or external but would still like to have a dedicated phono input to simplify the whole setup. Easy to use learning/preprogrammed remotes that can download new feature sets and devices like the best aftermarkets would be nice. Why should I spend $1000+ on a receiver with a "universal remote" only to spend another $150-$400 on a true universal remote?

Get rid of the DSP modes. I never listened to them on my old Sonys, Pioneers, and JVCs. I like to listen to stereo music in stereo, multi-channel music in however many channels and movies in whatever format they were recorded in. I don't need Prologic IIx, Circle Surround, and all that stuff. I do use the THX on THX movies but it could be gone too.

Steve

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis