What would you get for 10 grand?

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have a strong possibilty for a new job that pays a lot better than my current job. If it happens, one of the things I want is a much nicer stereo than I have ever had before.
I am trying to put aside all prior biases and take a totally "start from scratch" approach. 10K will be my upper limit on price.
This will be a strictly 2-channel system (or possibly 2.1), with CDs as the only source.

So, what would you choose in my place, and why?
(Note, it has to be something I can actually find to buy, either online or in a B&M. This rules out some really exotic stuff.)

Oh, my musical tastes are all over the map, but my largest listening categories are new age and smooth jazz.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Awesome!

Well, now's the time to check out all the local dealers.

Audio Dimensions Norman has all the B&W towers - like the B&W 802Ds. When I visisted them last year, they said that they would work on the prices too. But at least audition them and let all of us know your opinion, especially now that you are 100% from scratch and not biased.:D

Audio Midwest in Edmond has the Paradigm Studio 100 towers.

Ultimate Electronics (both in Edmond Memorial Rd and in OKC I-240) have the Def Tech Mythos STS Towers.

See if you can find more speakers available in OK.:D

Are you sure you still just want 2.1?

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHP3
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA23
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PAHA21

or this w/ 20-years warranty:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=BYB100SST&variation=17SIL

I would rather get a system that is CAPABLE of 7.1, but just use 2.1 for NOW.

Audioholics just talked about Indy Audio Labs starting up Acurus & Aragon amps & preamps again (2010). I'm keeping my eyes wide open for these too!:D

Last edited:
J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure you still just want 2.1?
Yes, because it will be used exclusively for stereo CDs.
(I have a separate HT system that I am quite satisfied with. I am much less picky about HT sound because video dominates the movie-watching experience for me.)

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have a strong possibilty for a new job that pays a lot better than my current job. If it happens, one of the things I want is a much nicer stereo than I have ever had before.
I am trying to put aside all prior biases and take a totally "start from scratch" approach. 10K will be my upper limit on price.
This will be a strictly 2-channel system (or possibly 2.1), with CDs as the only source.

So, what would you choose in my place, and why?
(Note, it has to be something I can actually find to buy, either online or in a B&M. This rules out some really exotic stuff.)

Oh, my musical tastes are all over the map, but my largest listening categories are new age and smooth jazz.
Bosch Table saw. Maybe a Kreg router table. Those things are amazing.

A nice band saw for cutting rock wool with.

This could be a lot of fun.

If it's just for music. I suggest you build a nice pair of JL Audio 8w7s for the bottom driver and mod a pair of Primus towers. You can get them for 100 bucks and with mods(and all the nice tools you get.):D Make them into amazing speakers. Wmax has a post of them somewhere around here.

F

fast1

Audioholic

If it's just for music. I suggest you build a nice pair of JL Audio 8w7s for the bottom driver and mod a pair of Primus towers. You can get them for 100 bucks and with mods(and all the nice tools you get.):D Make them into amazing speakers. Wmax has a post of them somewhere around here.
thats a really good idea

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja

...and skills. The tools aren't much use without the skills to use them effectively!

Matt34

Matt34

Hey, you can't be stealing my wmax speaker design!

Mike19

Mike19

Junior Audioholic
Hi Joe.

The first thing I would do if I had $10,000 to build a CD sourced stereo system would be to set a tentative budget allocation.

1. Speakers. First decide if you want truly full range towers (like down to 32Hz) or limited range (standmount or towers) plus a sub that gets down to at least 32 Hz. I say 32Hz becuase that will suffice for music of the type that you prefer. I would choose full range towers becuase then you don't have to screw around trying to find a sub that will blend truly well with your speakers. The top line subs like Velos, RELs and SVS will do that, but they are too expensive for your budget. So, I would allocate $5000 for a pair of full range towers.

2. CDP. $2000. Dedcide if you want SACD included. Good internal DAC so you won't need external DAC.

3. $2000 for integrated amp w/ sufficient wattage to drive the speakers well. My guideline on this is beween 80% and 130% of the spkr manufacturer's recommended max wattage. I choose integrated over a seperate pre and amp due to limited budget. Decide if you want receiver (FM radio) instead of int. amp.

4. $1000 for spkr wires, analog I/Cs and surge protection. I would wait on any line conditioner or vibration control. Might not be needed and can always add later.

5. Adjust budget allocation if you need stands for speakers and/or CDP and int. amp.

Have fun shopping. :p

Mike

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
Infinity Prelude MTS Towers and 4k of sound treatments

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
...and skills. The tools aren't much use without the skills to use them effectively!
As long as you use safety procedures you should be fine. There's a reason they made a flush trim router bit.:)

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
-Salk HT3 in the finish of your choice

-Orion http://www.linkwitzlab.com/orion_us.htm

- Emerald Physics CS2.3 http://www.emeraldphysics.com/page9/page9.html
I definitely agree with the Salk suggestion. Although I've only heard the two versions of the Songtowers, the HT2 and HT4, I've noticed a definite quality and value improvement as you move up through Salk's line of speakers.

I haven't heard the Orions but I have heard a set of Emeralds similar to the link. I would like a chance to hear them more before making a final judgment, but based on some of Joe's past comments on the type of sound he prefers and what he's looking for in a speaker, there is a very good chance that these will be perfect for his taste.

In this range, there are so many choices and so many $$$ at stake that it is imperative to do plenty of auditioning before a final commitment. There are a range of choices from B&W, Focal.JMLabs, Acoustic Zen, Dynaudio, Snell, Usher, Reference 3a, Martin Logan, Paradigm Signature, Monitor Audio, the list goes on.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Schmoe,

JMO, but I would put some of that budget towards treatments. I personally think it's inexcusable not to with that budget. OTOH, aesthetics are aesthetics... but there are some very good looking ones out there, like the custom printed GIK. ($$$)

I also went with an integrated to save (means more money for treatments), but my only regret there is the inability to add EQ/RC if I ever wanted. I have to move separates to do so. I guess we all take our different paths.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
but I would put some of that budget towards treatments.
Agreed.

Even if it's just acoustical measurements to help with locating speakers and chairs when you set everything up. Addressing at least some of the aberrations the room will introduce will help you to get your money's worth from the new system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis