What would you do with this room? Want 128" screen

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Moving into our new house and finally will have the ability to create home theater room. See image attached. My screen (128inch) will be where that TV is right now. Room is about 18 feet long and 12 feet wide. A few things I am concerned about.

1) I have no idea how far the projector should be? If I am able to hang it close to the back wall, I can easier manage the wires and not cut the ceiling (major job as these are not drop ceiling). Someone mentioned to me that having a projector too far away from screen will distort colors or not make it as effective as it can be.
ht.jpg

Any ideas on what I should consider and ideas on how to build a decent home theater out of this?

Thank you.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Is this picture distorting corners or is there only 1 90 deg. corner by that dark colored rocking chair?

Projectors have a min and max distance to mount. Best to check with the maker. Or, I think CNET may have a calculator and a list of projectors but it has been a long time since I researched this for my projector.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
hard to tell if that room is a perfect rectangle, but the OP did say it's 18' x 12'. Ceiling height?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
What is your budget for the screen and the projector?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Moving into our new house and finally will have the ability to create home theater room. See image attached. My screen (128inch) will be where that TV is right now. Room is about 18 feet long and 12 feet wide. A few things I am concerned about.

1) I have no idea how far the projector should be? If I am able to hang it close to the back wall, I can easier manage the wires and not cut the ceiling (major job as these are not drop ceiling). Someone mentioned to me that having a projector too far away from screen will distort colors or not make it as effective as it can be.View attachment 21412

Any ideas on what I should consider and ideas on how to build a decent home theater out of this?

Thank you.
Screen size *should* be determined by viewing distance. That's a huge screen to be viewing from 10-12 feet and will cause you to be moving your head a good bit. Screen size multiplied by 1.2-1.6 is the recommended range for viewing distance.

Projector distance is usually spec'd by manufacturer depending on what magnification lens is used. But as an example, my Epson fills 100" from about 9-10 feet with the lens zoomed in a bit.

bigus

bigus

Audioholic

1) I have no idea how far the projector should be? If I am able to hang it close to the back wall, I can easier manage the wires and not cut the ceiling (major job as these are not drop ceiling). Someone mentioned to me that having a projector too far away from screen will distort colors or not make it as effective as it can be.View attachment 21412

Thank you.

Depends on the projector.
The throw distance (length to the screen) is different from projector to projector.
Check the one you want to buy.
Get one with a decent zoom factor.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis