What was your first system (with pics if you can Google/find them)?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
each week you got paid 500? the only ones I knew who made that kind of money was the “ Goodfellas” but the Benefits and retirement wasn’t good cause one day I asked where Guido was and Jimmy two times said he had a early retirement.
not weekly, twice a month, 2 paydays per month, just under $500 each.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My first system or item really was very similar to this.

I think I was about three when I got it. Anyhow it had no spring or motor, but a handle you turned and a rubber belt with a small metal flywheel. I found it very frustrating because you could not keep constant pitch and had to constantly turn the handle.

Age 4 I got very sick with pneumonia. I was confined to bed for a long time. My father decided to let me have a table model acoustical gramophone. He had bought it in India and brought it back with him. It had been made in India from British parts.

It was similar to this.

I was just about strong enough to wind up the Spring. I had a few 78 records. I remember there was a set of the Beethoven No. 5 Piano concerto which I loved and some Bach organ music of a collection of Chorales. Also a disc of Handel's Messiah excerpts.

Anyway even then I wanted better.

When I was 7 I had for Christmas a 1937 or so vintage HMV radio gram. The big news was I did not have to wind it up and it had a radio. It had one electromagnet energized speaker. It was just like this.

You still had to use steel needles and change it after each disc playing or sharpen fiber needles.

Anyhow I really caught the audio bug after that and it was a continuous drive for upgrade!

At seven I scrounged a tube amp and built a Voight quarter wave pipe. I have never used a commercially built speaker since. In 1959 I was one of the first adopters of the new stereophonic sound. I still have my first stereo LP, which was Dvorak's New World Symphony.

So that pursuit of the "Closest Approach to the Original Sound" as the Quad slogan said, has been a lifetime fascination and pleasure.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I remember there was a set of the Beethoven No. 5 Piano concerto which I loved and some Bach organ music of a collection of Chorales. Also a disc of Handel's Messiah excerpts.
In my opinion, Handel's Messiah is the most awesome music ever conceived of by a human.

Zildjianmeister

Zildjianmeister

Junior Audioholic
Sweet! The ol Nikko McBrain setup. Although not sure what he's playing now. Great selection of Z cymbals as well. I like the little splash in the middle.

Based on your AV and user name I'm guessing you'd like this system I had a few years ago...
View attachment 35807View attachment 35808

*Edit: I just realized you can see my bowling ball and golf clubs too... it was my toy room! lol

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Back in the early 70s some sort of Sound Design all in one with a receiver, turntable, and 8 track player/recorder. Joined the USAF in 1975 and then my interest in real hi fi equipment took off. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis