what to get a vintage audio buff for birthday

O

ohio

Junior Audioholic
My brother has recently really gotten into 70s era equipment and analog audio. His birthday is coming up and I'm trying to figure out something to get him. I know he has speakers, receiver, and turntable he's happy with and besides I don't know of components in that space that would be worth buying him on my budget of $100.

Any thoughts? Are there vintage separates (either a phono stage or stereo amp) that can be had for around that much? What about turntable elements like a tonearm?

If not, what would be some awesome collectible vinyl? I know he's a big indie rock fan (but ironically also an audio engineering snob, so appreciates a good recording), so I was thinking of digging through eBay for some original Ramones or something like that...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Do I have a deal for you or what? Pioneer 8 track (Quadraphonic), Pioneer Reverb, Sanyo and JVC Betamax, also a Pioneer System Demodulator (for quadraphonic records). All in excellent condition. I am willing to part with all this just for UPS fee. In other words, NO CHARGE.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Looks like it might be an SME tonearm.
Yes, its an SME series 3 on a Thorens TD 150. The cartridge shown is a Decca Jubilee. However it now has a Shure V15 xmr that I snagged on eBay. I own quite a few cartridges, but I always come back to the Shure V 15 xmr my all time favorite. I have that cartridge on two of the turntables in the studio.

highfigh

highfigh

Do I have a deal for you or what? Pioneer 8 track (Quadraphonic), Pioneer Reverb, Sanyo and JVC Betamax, also a Pioneer System Demodulator (for quadraphonic records). All in excellent condition. I am willing to part with all this just for UPS fee. In other words, NO CHARGE.
I never knew JVC to make Beta machines. Sony, Sanyo and Zenith were the ones I remember. Hmmm.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
I've got a Phase Linear Model 1000 Autocorrelator, that was working the last time I tried it.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I never knew JVC to make Beta machines. Sony, Sanyo and Zenith were the ones I remember. Hmmm.
Good observation it can't be a JVC. I'll have to check it out since it's stored in my friends garage. Maybe it's a JVC VHS.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Good observation it can't be a JVC. I'll have to check it out since it's stored in my friends garage. Maybe it's a JVC VHS.
VHS was originally JVC's baby and they were having problems with it, so they asked for help. From Sony. Who fixed it. And were stabbed in the back by JVC, who knew Sont wanted to charge other manufacturers a licensing fee when they wanted to make tehir own version of Beta VCRs. JVC just let the other companies make them without paying a fee, so the market was flooded with VHS just by market saturation. Still, not long before Sony stuck a fork in Beta for consumers, the world market was about 50-50 until a suppliers of a certain kind of adult entertainment decided to no longer support Beta. Oddly, ENG (Electronic News Gathering) equipment is still largely Beta on either 1/2" or 3/4" tape.

Just another example of American stupidity- consumers wanted to be able to record 8 hours on one tape, even though the tape is thinner, VHS stretches the bottom edge more and the stretching causes the synch track to become uneven. If the synch track goes bad, the speed varies and this causes the video heads to miss the video portion frequently.

Is yours one of the models with big, brightly colored buttons? Those were definitely VHS.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
Was thinking of this, but I can't tell if these are collectible or some kind of re-issue/reprint. I know nothing of vinyl.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RAMONES-Lot-5-COLORED-Vinyl-LP-Records-NEW-Ships-FREE_W0QQitemZ110500269745QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item19ba544eb1
Given that there are 8 sets still available, my bet is that it is a reissue. Many reissues are quite good quality but they are not vintage, except for the source material. I think a lot of the Ramones stuff is still available on original vinyl-here's one I found with a 5 second eBay search:

http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-RAMONES-ROCKET-TO-RUSSIA-SIRE-SR-6042-MINT-MINUS_W0QQitemZ200444556832QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_on_Vinyl?hash=item2eab6d3620

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I am assuming your brother likes 70's music too, since that period is where a lot of records were made. If he likes Genesis with Peter Gabriel, there is a boxed set of 4 CDs which has "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" live, "Supper's Ready" live and some other unpublished older songs. I think a lot of people don't know about this box set, so it could be a cool 70's surprise for the guy who has everything. I think the box name is something like Genesis 1968 to 1974.

highfigh

highfigh

That's it.[/QUOTE]

I think we used to call that one the 'Playskool model'.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
" ... VHS was originally JVC's baby and they were having problems with it, so they asked for help. From Sony. ..."

I'm not so sure that's true, or, if it is, it's the first I've heard of it, and I was in the business at the time. My store (3 locations) sold more Technics tables than any other dealer in Canada for a few years in the late 70's, so we got plenty of face-time with both the Canadian and Japanese grunts and execs from Matsushita. Since Panasonic and SONY competed directly with each other in the broadcast market (via Panasonic Industrial, which first sold broadcast gear in 1958) I would be very surprised to have not heard something, and even more surprised to learn they worked together on VHS.

This part I do know for sure, though: VHS was refined by Matsushita Electric, whom most people know as Panasonic/Technics. JVC had been a majority owned by Matshushita since the 1950's but remained an independent company (which is why savvy shoppers on eBay look for JVC turntables ... they came from the same factories as Technics units, but sell for much less, typically. Bonus: they tend to be a little fancier).

JVC also had a broadcast presence (that was the roots of the company) and had it's own video tape system. Matsushita, who had developed a different videotape format that was slated to launch at the same time as Beta, chose JVC's format over it's own because they felt it was technically superior, but they also felt it needed further development, so while Matsushita worked with JVC on VHS, Beta was able to be introduced one year sooner.

SONY refused to license Beta initially, which allowed Matsushita and JVC to sign up licensees with RCA, General Electric, Philips (who also was working on it's own video format, but chose VHS for the same technical reasons Matsushita did), NEC, Toshiba, and Sanyo, before the product launch.

Matsushita was not a small company that needed to look outside for technical help; about this time they owned 600 electronics companies, and during the 80's they manufactured computers for IBM. While most people know SONY bought Columbia, Matsushita bought MCA (sold to Seagrams later).

JVC was sold to a US-based investment group (Texas Pacific Group) in 2007, so who makes their current stuff is anyone's guess.

As for the gift (back on topic), I don't know your budget, or his tastes, but there are some awesome Neil Young reissues right now.
Neil Young: Archives Vol 1 & 2 1963-1972 (10-disk Blu-Ray; 8-disc CD)
Perhaps more interesting to him:
Neil Young Official Release Series, Disks 1-4 (180gm vinyl; Neil Young [1969], Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere [1969], After The Gold Rush [1970], Harvest [1972].

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis