F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
I need advice, I want to ask before I do something I regret. So here is the situation. I need to figure the best way to make these components work to the best of there ability. First im more of a music guy than I am a movie guy. Don't get me wrong I love the way a great movie sounds I want the movie to blow me away as well. Here are the components

Marantz SR5014
2X Niles 2150 amps
Pair of Cerwin Vega XLS215
Pair Infinity P363
Cambridge Dacmagic 200
Klipsh RP 450C
Polk T15 surround speakers
Carver CT-3 Pre Amp

So I blew up my Onkyo TX NR 838 and decided on the Marantz SR5014. I'm fixing to take that and the Carver TFM35 to get them repaired. The Carver equipment was purchased new from the PX at Ft. Wainwright AK in 1993. That Carver stuff was great. Till the amp gave out in 2007. I guess we pushed it to hard.
Here is what my Un educated ass was gonna do. I was gonna bridge each Niles amp to push the CV speakers. Then I read about bi amping the speakers since you can do that with these speakers. I called Cerwin Vega three times this week and haven't got a call back. Kinda disappointed. I want to make all this equipment work together and it doesn't matter how loud it is. If someone can actually research the equipment I have and suggest a solution, it would be great all ideas welcome, I probably just bought a bunch of stuff that don't work together

Thank you Folks!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So how is all that currently put together or is that multiple setups or ?

Passive bi-amping isn't worth the wire IMO. Your speakers may be too low of an impedance for those amps bridged.

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
It's not put together at all. I'm just looking for the best solution to make it work.

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
I want to be able to listen to something like say Turbo Lover and be blown away, or some good Robert Trujillo playing Orion.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's not put together at all. I'm just looking for the best solution to make it work.
2 ch? Surround ? Both? Do you have all the appropriate cables for connection? Is there a tv involved?

I want to be able to listen to something like say Turbo Lover and be blown away, or some good Robert Trujillo playing Orion.
Have no idea what those are....but it doesn't matter particularly to the setup in any case.

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
What I would like is to Jam out loud, and watch movies once in awhile. I'm not trying to be a pain, I just don't know guys.

Marantz SR5014
2X Niles 2150 amps
Pair of Cerwin Vega XLS215
Pair Infinity P363
Cambridge Dacmagic 200
Klipsh RP 450C
Polk T15 surround speakers

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Since you have the speakers I'd set it up in surround....you can always just use stereo/2ch mode too.

If this is a used avr first use the manual and do a full reset (also known as microprocessor reset/factory reset). This will put all settings at original default values and you can setup afterwards for your specific setup levels/delays/eq either manually or do it via Audyssey (did you get the Audyssey mic with the avr?).

I'd use the XLS215s as front left and right, the Klipsch as center, the Infinity 363s as surrounds, the T15 as rear surrounds (if you have an appropriate room for 7ch setup....what size room and where is your seating in the room?).

The Niles amps aren't going to make a huge difference from the avr's but to use them and take a load off the avr's power supply it might help out a bit. To put both Niles amps to use, I'd probably use one for the L/R and one for the center channel (just one channel of one amp for the center, I wouldn't bother with bridging). The avr alone without the Niles amps would probably be just fine, tho. You do have limits, tho....if you want a foolproof system no matter how much you twist the volume up, meh.

Do you need help with appropriate interconnects for the avr to amps, if you go that route, or the speaker cables? Simple relatively short rca cables from avr to amps are all that are necessary and are readily available from a variety of sources for little money. Speaker wire need not be complicated....try this site for pretty much anything related to speaker cable http://roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm to start.

I'd say the Cambridge is just extra baggage so far....the dac in the avr is quite fine. What you need are some subs, while the CVs have some decent bass extension, they're not subwoofers.

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
I appreciate your recommendation, I failed to list a polk SW 125 SUB. I'm only running a 5.1 or 5.2 dont really know the difference. I have a question about the niles amps. If it puts out 150 watts at 8 ohms what would it be at 6 ohms? Those CV speakers are 6 ohms. It's 270 at 4 ohms.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well the audio source itself would be 5.1, but your speaker layout might be called 5.2 if you had two subs. Hard to know what the 6 ohm rating is, estimate somewhere in the middle of the 4/8 ohm ratings. I'd bet the CV speakers dip down to low 4s. Keep in mind it takes a doubling of power to gain merely 3 dB spl.....the sensitivity of the speakers as well as your distance from the speakers is a better way of figuring out power needed for your spl goals. Like using one of these to estimate http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
Thats a cool calculator. I'm gonna put the specs in and check it out. Should I use that sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thats a cool calculator. I'm gonna put the specs in and check it out. Should I use that sub?
Well its not that good of a sub....there's much better to be had. You can try and see if it helps out or not....

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
I tried to send you a pic it said the file was to big. What would be a good Sub?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I tried to send you a pic it said the file was to big. What would be a good Sub?
You may need to resize the pic....if you're using W10 pc right click on the file of the pic then go to edit and it'll pop you into Paint where there's a resize option....try 30%.

We usually steer people to subs depending on their budget....and other details of use, room, etc....but try maybe SVS, Hsu Research, Power Sound Audio, Rythmik, Monolith and some others....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice room. Looks like a lot of reflective surfaces, tho.....is there any carpeting in front of the seating?

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
Yes I have a 7ft diameter round carpet

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

F

FJR Rider69

Enthusiast
And just for scale that is a 75 inch screen

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com