What to do with vintage broken speaker?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Vintage speakers?
Is there any reason to check the internal wiring too see if something is loose , one of the speakers seems fubar and stopped working the other one works fine .
Does anyone repurpose these or use for something else or are they junk for the curb?? The grills are cool but only fit these speakersSs..
Monkey coffin type speakers …

Attachments

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
You should have no problem finding something better- those have paper cone tweeters, which don't do well above about 10KHz.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You should have no problem finding something better- those have paper cone tweeters, which don't do well above about 10KHz.
Judging from the back they look to hard to fix and or replace x overs , do people buy broken speakers, one works should I try selling them on Facebook before tossing them ?
they might work as speakers stands But there so ugly lol .. and 30-40 pounds or so.very stable ..

highfigh

highfigh

Judging from the back they look to hard to fix and or replace x overs , do people buy broken speakers, one works should I try selling them on Facebook before tossing them ?
they might work as speakers stands But there so ugly lol .. and 30-40 pounds or so.
Some people buy broken speakers, often because they want to replace their bad components with the same, if they can find the same model. When it's worthwhile. Sell them- someone will buy them but I wouldn't put any time or money into them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Some people buy broken speakers, often because they want to replace their bad components with the same, if they can find the same model. When it's worthwhile. Sell them- someone will buy them but I wouldn't put any time or money into them.
yeah I had another big pair wouldn’t sell online eventually had to toss them on curb hopefully these sell . They are actually a name popular defunct brand?? .
Can’t believe I wasted $50 on them on some site I no longer use . Junk ! :(
I even got replacement woofers sitting around unused won’t sell .

I got another vintage pair that works but can’t find the tweeters, RadioShack brand .

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Vintage speakers?
Is there any reason to check the internal wiring too see if something is loose , one of the speakers seems fubar and stopped working the other one works fine .
Does anyone repurpose these or use for something else or are they junk for the curb?? The grills are cool but only fit these speakersSs..
Monkey coffin type speakers …
Those speakers are beyond rigor mortis, and are well into the decomposition stage. A late burial at the recycling center is recommended.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Still no luck selling them for $75 I can try and lower price but I got no offers period . I may be stuck with them .. recycling them would be total loss.$50, the back looks to hard to take apart to repair them.

Last edited:
Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
$75... :D :D :D

I see Craigslist ads for white van speakers that have been up for over 3 years. Some people don't know how to cut their losses and move on.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Still no luck selling them for $75 I can try and lower price but I got no offers period . I may be stuck with them .. recycling them would be total loss.$50, the back looks to hard to take apart to repair them.
You don't repair them from the back. You remove the woofer from the front. Agree with the others in that they are not worth salvaging. You would be lucky to get $20 for those if *working*. With a bad driver they are not worth anything. I bet the crossover consists of a single capacitor soldered to the tweeter and nothing else. Vintage speakers only have value if made by a well known reputable company which will appeal to collectors and nostalgic fans. A no-name old speaker is just that and nothing more. Play around with the components for fun if you like but you will never get more money out of them than you put into them.

After I gave my daughter the old KEF speakers that I rebuilt, I brought a pair of 3-way towers home that she was using. I hate binning gear that can still be used, but these were an off brand and had a bad driver with particle board cabinets covered in vinyl. Simply not worth any effort. I put them on the curb and no one even looked at them to take away for free, so out with the trash.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Market tells you the price. You paid $50.00 too much for them. The market is telling you they are worthless. You can't fight the market. So those speakers are now clutter. No us to man nor beast. So deep six them.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
You don't repair them from the back. You remove the woofer from the front. Agree with the others in that they are not worth salvaging. You would be lucky to get $20 for those if *working*. With a bad driver they are not worth anything. I bet the crossover consists of a single capacitor soldered to the tweeter and nothing else. Vintage speakers only have value if made by a well known reputable company which will appeal to collectors and nostalgic fans. A no-name old speaker is just that and nothing more. Play around with the components for fun if you like but you will never get more money out of them than you put into them.

After I gave my daughter the old KEF speakers that I rebuilt, I brought a pair of 3-way towers home that she was using. I hate binning gear that can still be used, but these were an off brand and had a bad driver with particle board cabinets covered in vinyl. Simply not worth any effort. I put them on the curb and no one even looked at them to take away for free, so out with the trash.
Drivers are fine is the x overs that are shot in one of them , I’ll try $50 if they don’t sell in a few months I’ll probably cut my losses .
I nearly considered turning them to subs once but that isn’t worth the endeavor .

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Drivers are fine is the x overs that are shot in one of them , I’ll try $50 if they don’t sell in a few months I’ll probably cut my losses .
I nearly considered turning them to subs once but that isn’t worth the endeavor .
Eh! Are you a practitioner of the dark arts?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Eh! Are you a practitioner of the dark arts?
Nope lol not a wizard .. :D although a fan of the movies.
Facebook is just not safe to sell stuff on?sounds shady to have to meet up with some possible con artist .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Says the guy trying to sell busted speakers... :rolleyes: :D
I thought he was warning me about shady buyers ? I’ve sold broken car speakers before .$15 lol should I sell the broken speaker as is or just get rid of it for nothing.. hmm? Curious why someone would want to listen to the working speaker .. I ignored 1 inquiry because can I come check it out seemed shady .. I ain’t hooking up 1 working speaker to sell it?
I’ll try a sell them be lucky to get anything for them .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Wow you’re right someone bought them with 1 broke I got my asking price and price I paid for them. :D Problem solved .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis