What to do for $4k?

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
If I could find a Optoma UHD65 right now I probably wouldn't be asking this question, but with the 2-6 week back order depending on who you ask it has opened the door to other models. Looked at the Epson 6040 (just can't do the 5040 since it is white) and the JVC DLA-x570r. With both sitting at $4k, I think the JVC is the better option for me since I can make my room nearly pitch black. I'm trying to resist the urge to buy what I can get now and consider the bigger picture. I have an older receiver that only does Dolby Digital, DTS with my existing 7.1 surround speakers. $1500 difference between the Optoma and the JVC buys a reasonable Atmos receiver and some in-ceiling speakers. What would you do?

Option A:
New Atmos AVR receiver
Optoma UHD65
Add in ceiling speakers

Option B:
Keep old receiver
JVC DLA-x570r (DLA-rs420)
Buy powered HDMI switch to handle video instead of the old receiver ($50 3x1 from Sewell)

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
He seems to greatly prefer JVC for overall performance, AFAIK.

I wouldn't recommend in ceiling speakers for anything but distributed audio when you're entertaining and want music in every room.

Your choice of MTM speakers would explain your desire for over head speakers, MTM's have narrower dispersion on whichever plane they are mounted. One compensation might be to mount them a bit higher and tilt down toward listening area for an increased sense of envelopment.

lancer360

lancer360

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't recommend in ceiling speakers for anything but distributed audio when you're entertaining and want music in every room.
The ceiling speakers would be for Atmos channels. What would you recommemd instead?

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
The ceiling speakers would be for Atmos channels. What would you recommemd instead?
Ceiling and/or high wall mounted 2-way speakers aimed at the listener's, depending on how many channels you envision.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, I'm clearly going to recommend the JVC if it is within budget. The jump in contrast, in a good theater space, is really incredible. At the end of the day, I've seen the better Epson models, and the entry level DLP models. I've seen the Sony 40ES... And then there is JVC. Looking elsewhere at forums, when you are talking about serious theaters, then the discussion is almost exclusively JVC, and it has been that way for a number of years, and it has been that way for a reason.

Contrast, black level, shadow detail, color accuracy, motion handling are all more important than resolution. The JVC models are now something like four generations in on their e-shift technology (faux-k) and JVC really has improved with each subsequent generation.

Is having a new receiver and a few new speakers great? Sure! But, in a good theater space with dark paint and proper treatments there is simply no projector that really bests the JVC models. It would certainly be my purchase if I was in the market right now. It is my eventual goal to have one in my theater if I can swing it.

All that said, early reviews of the UHD65 have been a real home run. I just think some serious look at their shadow details and contrast really need to take place before I am on board. Certainly it will require much tighter constraints on placement compared to the JVC or other models in that price range.

If budget really is tight, and there won't be funds coming in for a long time, then waiting, with patience, on the Optoma may be the better choice for you today. It will give you time to see a few more reviews come out and really get a good idea of how it stacks up against the competition and if it is a smart buy. It may very well be, in which case it could reign supreme for a while as the 'best' entry level 4K projector on the market.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've one experience with Optoma. I forgot the model number, but it was their expensive flagship model.

I think it broke after about 6 months. I sent it in for repair. It worked for another 6 months and broke again. I sent it in for repair again and then sold it as soon as it was returned to me.

So just based on that experience, I would never buy an Optoma PJ again.

Prior to that I owned a $10K SharpVision projector that lasted about 15 years.

After I got rid of the Optoma, I went with the BenQ W6000. I still have it after about 6 years now. Still working great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis