what to do about running another amp?

U

Unregistered

I have an av receiver that seems to lack the "pre-out" jacks on the back and i would really like to run a second amplifier and use the receiver as the pre amp. Is there anything I can do about the lack of these pre-out jacks? Thanks in advance for any help.

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
Do you hava a Tape 2? If so, ypu can use the output signal to the tape (The one for recording) As the main front channel.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Mudcat said:
Do you hava a Tape 2? If so, ypu can use the output signal to the tape (The one for recording) As the main front channel.
The downside to this is that the only "preamp" functions the first receiver would handle would be source selection. No volume/balance/bass/treble or any other nice feature that makes a preamp a preamp.

A

av_phile

Senior Audioholic
I guess you would have to open the receiver and have a seasoned electronics guy tap into the circuit board between the preamp and amp, disconnect the two and route the preamp's audio path to a set of RCA output terminals.

If your CD or DVD player has variable output level control, you can connect this directly to any power amplifer. THis is actually prefered by many purists if you only have one source to use, bypassing the electronics and switches in a preamp. But your source must have an output level control to serves as your volume control. CD players usually have 1v to 2v output good enough to drive the amp to full power. Many power amps have input sensitivities of 1.2 volts to reach full power.

annunaki

annunaki

One could purchase a line output converter. It is actually a car audio piece which takes a speaker level output signal and converts it to a rca type output. Many have an internal level adjustment for left and right channels. They can usually be had for around $15-$45. Simply connect it to the B channel speaker output for the front channels if you wish to run speakers off the front A channels. Otherwise, simply run the A channel speaker outputs to the converter and run the rca cable from the converter to the amplifier inputs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis