What to buy? Anthem AVM30, Lexicon or Classe

A

AVPaul

Enthusiast
I'm trying to replace a California Audio Labs CL-2500 Surround Sound Processor. This piece sound great but does not work most of the time.

I've tried listening to Parasound C2 and 7100 and Rotel's new sound processors and they can't play loud enough during certain passages of music.

I tried the Athem AVM30 and it does play loud enough. But, I'm not sure I like the sound of when compared to my old CL-2500 SSP. I really like the features of the AVM30, but not sure about the 2-channel stereo.

The next price up is the Lexicon MC4 and the Classe SSP300.

Do these sound processors really sound any better or which one is better sounding?

Anybody have any experiences with these sound processors?

Thanks!

Paul

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Not loud enough?

AVPaul said:
I've tried listening to Parasound C2 and 7100 and Rotel's new sound processors and they can't play loud enough during certain passages of music.

I tried the Athem AVM30 and it does play loud enough. But, I'm not sure I like the sound of when compared to my old CL-2500 SSP. I really like the features of the AVM30, but not sure about the 2-channel stereo.

Paul
I dont understand how you say that the processor is not loud enough. It does not perform amplification, as the name suggests, it only lets you control the attributes of the signal. The signal from the processor gets fed to an amplifier. This is what governs the loudness. Maybe your current amplifier is underpowered, but you dont have a complaint with it so I doubt if that is indeed the case.

How did you audition the contenders? Did you get them home and replace your CL-2500 keeping everything the same, then do some calibration before listening tests? Unless you did, it will not be a proper comparison. If you demo-ed them in other peoples existing setups or in a store, then there is no basis for comparison since their room acoustics, speakers, amplifiers etc might color the sound.

I have never seen the AVM30 in action, but judging from the reviews gotten by Anthem products, it should be great. Anthem Statement D1 should be given a good look too since it is in your price range. Here is a review for the D1,
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/anthem-statement-d1-ssp-6-2004-part-1.html

More info about your current setup will help give a more informed reply.

Cheers.

A

AVPaul

Enthusiast
Parasound & Rotel Not Loud enough

My current sound processor "is" loud enough. But it keeps breaking.

I wanted to replace just this piece. So I tried replacing just the sound processor with a Parasound C2, Parasound 7100, and the Rotel. I did re-calibrate my system.

When I started listening to different passages of music and tried cranking things up, the new units would not play loud enough.

I then tried an Athem AVM30 and it did play loud enough.

But the Athem AVM30 did not sound as good as my old (broken) sound processor.

I don't really have the option to listen to a Classe SSP300 or Lexiocn MC4 in my home.

So I was trying to get some feedback from someone who might have heard both of these unit and maybe the Athem AVM30.

I was woundering if the Lexicon MC4 and Classe are really worth the extra grand or two (dollars) and are they extremely better in the 2-channel stereo mode using a digital connection.

Thanks!

W

warnerwh

Full Audioholic
It sounds like you need more power from you amplifiers. A processor does not limit the loudness, the power amplifiers do. What amplifiers and speakers are you using? Also what size is your room?

A

AVPaul

Enthusiast
Yes more power & better speakers would help, current power works with old & stuff

I keep hearing the fact about my amp not being powerful enough. This might be true. But, the amp is "way" more than powerful enough with my current sound processor and was "way" more than powerful enough when trying out the Athem AVM30. So all things equal, the Parasound and Rotel must being limiting the amount of voltage (or have limits set somewhere) that keep the utilmate volume of my systems less than desired. I can't afford to replace all my gear at this time. What is broken is my sound processor. So I was trying to find a replace that sounded as good or better than my current sound processor. The Athem AVM30 is OK, but just didn't sound as good as my old processor. So I was trying to see if anyone had experience with the CLasse and/or Lexicon and Athem.

Thanks!

A

AVPaul

Enthusiast
Using Rotel THX 5x200

Using Rotel THX 5x200 watts and Denon 2200 DVD

A

AVPaul

Enthusiast
Buying the Athem AVM30

Based on my tests, I've decided to buy the Athem AVM30. The Athem AVM30 play the loudest with my Rotel 200 watt amp, my old Linn speakers, and Denon 2200 DVD. Plus, I found a local Athem dealer and I wanted to establish a long-term relationship with them. My local Athem dealer allowed me to take the Athem AVM30 home and listen to it in my home before buying. This was a major reason I decided to buy the product.

Thanks for your help!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis