What sub to upgrade too

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
Hello everyone. I had a question as to what would be the best all around sub to add to my ht . I have a Yamaha 2080,Klipsch rp8000s and matching center for the front stage,infinity alpha 50s as surrounds and a infinity 12'' sub. So the question is where should I start with a new sub?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What’s the budget, and room size, including connected rooms?

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
My room is 16x16 called ceiling connected to my kitchen so I have lots of dead spots due to only having one sub

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
As for the budget I'm thinking $2000? I don't really know if I have to save more I will. I'm looking to be impressed!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If you want to get rid of dead spots, get a multiple sub system, so get maybe two beefy subs and place them apart from each other. Three subs would be even better. Look at Outlaw Audio, Hsu Research, SVS, Monoprice Monolith, if you can handle big subs. If not, look at MartinLogan or Paradigm (the Paradigm Defiance X subs are brutal for their size).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
16x16 isn’t huge so shouldn’t be hard to recommend one, but it is square and that is hard to deal with as far as modes and nulls. I’m gonna recommend a pair of these(pricing is for 2)
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15hmk2Dual.html

There are sooo many options out there right now. It’s almost hard to buy a bad subwoofer. I normally say to buy the best one you can afford now, and immediately start saving for a second one but I think you’ll be best served with a couple of the HSU’s. Depends on the overall airspace though. Also, are you on concrete, or suspended floor?

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
My room is 16x16 called ceiling connected to my kitchen so I have lots of dead spots due to only having one sub
My space is roughly the same size (18'x16'x9') and also open to other spaces. I have two HSU 15" subs...for music the bass is even throughout the space...for movies, when you expect BOOM, you get house shaking BOOM.

If you will have long runs to connect the sub(s)...I like the HSU VTF 15h mk2 because you can use the balanced connection.

For your size space, if you don't have long runs to connect the subs...I'd save some money and get two HSU VTF3 Mk5...you will be impressed. I have this model, and they cruise along barely breaking a sweat until called into action.

I'm biased because I own this sub, but it's hard to go wrong with any of the ones already mentioned.

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
Unfortunately I'm on a concrete slab. I took a look at the house link and it looks very tempting! Question though? Why did you recommend the vtf 15 over the vtf3 performance or just the looks because I think it does look a little more appealing

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
My space is roughly the same size (18'x16'x9') and also open to other spaces. I have two HSU 15" subs...for music the bass is even throughout the space...for movies, when you expect BOOM, you get house shaking BOOM.

If you will have long runs to connect the sub(s)...I like the HSU VTF 15h mk2 because you can use the balanced connection.

For your size space, if you don't have long runs to connect the subs...I'd save some money and get two HSU VTF3 Mk5...you will be impressed. I have this model, and they cruise along barely breaking a sweat until called into action.

I'm biased because I own this sub, but it's hard to go wrong with any of the ones already mentioned.
Thank you that's what I was looking for real advice from people who I'm this stuff thanks again

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Unfortunately I'm on a concrete slab. I took a look at the house link and it looks very tempting! Question though? Why did you recommend the vtf 15 over the vtf3 performance or just the looks because I think it does look a little more appealing
D, all the above lol.
@shadyJ has hands on with a variety of HSU subs and could also add quality advice here.
As far as the slab goes...subwoofer up! It’s almost impossible to get the same amount of tactile response on a slab, but I think a big pair of shoes will shake your couch. Not sure how technically inclined you are but I also thought the extra money could go towards a umik and a minidsp(measurement and EQ system) to help deal with your square room. However, you’d want to experiment with placement with or without that.

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
I'm decently inclined but super new to the hobby however I do have a umk1 mic but no mini DSP.i tried the mic and Rew but got lost really fast as to what to actually do with the measurements once I took them lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm decently inclined but super new to the hobby however I do have a umk1 mic but no mini DSP.i tried the mic and Rew but got lost really fast as to what to actually do with the measurements once I took them lol
It’s a lot to take for sure. Plenty of resources to help though. Even without a minidsp, you can still experiment with placement, and phase etc. however, rew has a pretty steep curve. If your AVR has audyssey xt32 with subeq it can help a lot. It’s less useful EQing the upper ranges but pretty good with subs, and basics like levels and distances. I’ve been using the MultEQ editor app. Kinda fun.

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
Totally fun! I have a Yamaha avr2080 it has duel sub control so when I finally choose more subs I'll get to check it out.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thank you that's what I was looking for real advice from people who I'm this stuff thanks again
hsu grill on.JPG
hsu grill.JPG

I don't know how you're going to use your system, but it's very likely these two subs would not be breaking much of a sweat in your space either. But...if the money doesn't matter and you want the larger subs...it's not a mistake, nothing wrong with OVER subbing.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hello everyone. I had a question as to what would be the best all around sub to add to my ht . I have a Yamaha 2080,Klipsch rp8000s and matching center for the front stage,infinity alpha 50s as surrounds and a infinity 12'' sub. So the question is where should I start with a new sub?
Congratulations on a nice setup I have the RP 8000's as well and I'm so in friggin LOVE with em. Hope your enjoying yours!

I'm going to go with the HSU there top of the line in 15 in duals would fit your budhet barely lol. And they'd help out a lot in your room.

I just think that's an amazing sub for the money and 2 of them will fit your budget if they run over a little just shell out that little bit of extra coin they are totally worth it!
20190325_173107.jpg

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
Nice looking setup as well! I think so far the hsu sound like what I'm going to do I've never heard anything of there subs so a little nervous but it sounds like everyone likes them

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Nice looking setup as well! I think so far the hsu sound like what I'm going to do I've never heard anything of there subs so a little nervous but it sounds like everyone likes them
There is a reason they are so well regarded in audio circles like William said there are so many good choices out there these days but you will not regret buying those HSU I'm pretty confident in that guess :)

R

Ramaconda

Audiophyte
Thanks Dan I appreciate the help. I don't know if my neighbors will but that's life

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis