What Stereo speakers would you buy for $7,000?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I don't know if you can still edit this post, but it would be good to specify the model and price in your post as the link apparently goes to whatever Salk happens to have available and causes confusion ... I was getting excited about getting a Murphy designed speaker with Be tweet for $1300/pr.!!!
Then I realized that the discussion here was no longer of the speaker linked!
Think that link was Salk towers of some kind. Now it’s Salk bookshelves. Must be their clearance page. :)
It was song 3 Beats for a steal. They obviously didn't last long...

Last edited:
G

GIEGAR

Full Audioholic

I have a few Speakers in mind but I'm wondering what your choice might be? Thank you!

Second-hand D&D's, like these:

Sell surplus pre-amps and power amps. ;)

Last edited:
Will Brink

Will Brink

Audioholic

ATC SCM 40 - $1.00 under your spending amount. Hard to beat the sound you'll get from these. Getting a sub-woofer later would turn these into one of the best 2.1 systems you could ever hear.
SCM19's + a good sub would cost less and be very close quality of sound I'd think and astoundingly good audio for the $.

C

Conor Knoxx

Enthusiast
I'm new here, so I'm allowed a couple of dumb questions ;)
so I'm wondering.... Paradigm Prestige 95F - not even in the race here?
I'm actually considering the Premier 800F, a step down in price range, but I was surprised Paradigms were only mentioned once (bookshelf ones) in the whole thread?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I'm actually considering the Premier 800F,
Paradigm are excellent speakers. And both series offer excellent value vs. Sound Quality

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm new here, so I'm allowed a couple of dumb questions ;)
I'm actually considering the Premier 800F, a step down in price range, but I was surprised Paradigms were only mentioned once (bookshelf ones) in the whole thread?
The Prestige 95F measures terribly for the price:

That is awful.

The Premier 800F measures very well:

The Premier 800F is a much better speaker even if it is a lot cheaper.

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
My vote (after a lot of auditions) is for lightly used Focal Electra 1038Be or Focal Kanta 2 (depending on whether you like their flax cones or the w sandwich ones used in the Electra / Sopra series).

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
My vote (after a lot of auditions) is for lightly used Focal Electra 1038Be or Focal Kanta 2 (depending on whether you like their flax cones or the w sandwich ones used in the Electra / Sopra series).
So, which do you prefer between the W cones and Flax cones, and why? Also, what about the Be tweeters between the 1038Be and Kanta? I thought I read somewhere that the Be tweeter in the Kanta was a newer version that was better, possibly smoother? Nice used sets of 1038Be are getting harder and harder to find, and most often the owner will say local sale only, and they are never anywhere near me.

S

Slevin19

Audioholic Intern
So, which do you prefer between the W cones and Flax cones, and why? Also, what about the Be tweeters between the 1038Be and Kanta? I thought I read somewhere that the Be tweeter in the Kanta was a newer version that was better, possibly smoother? Nice used sets of 1038Be are getting harder and harder to find, and most often the owner will say local sale only, and they are never anywhere near me.
To find 1038Be, look up in FB Marketplace and thank me. :)

I see 2 good ones in my area. I know a guy who just bought a lightly used 2nd hand set of Kanta 2 + Kanta center channel for $6k.

Regarding your 2nd question: I prefer the 1038Be for rooms larger than 18x18x9. The flax cone drivers of the Kanta 2 are, perhaps, a bit more natural and faster but are less punchy. The 1038Be go deeper. There is a reason why the Sopra 2 / Utopia have essentially the same drivers (rather than those made with flax). But, it is user preference.

I find the tweeters in the 1038Be to be very smooth and not harsh at all (unlike those in the 1037Be). But yes, Kanta 2 are a bit warmer. I use Parasound gear and 1038Be match very well with them.

In fact, I got to audition the 1038Be right next to the B&W 802D with same electronics at a dealer. I preferred the 1038Be (which is saying a lot as the 802D are great speakers).

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
To find 1038Be, look up in FB Marketplace and thank me. :)

I see 2 good ones in my area. I know a guy who just bought a lightly used 2nd hand set of Kanta 2 + Kanta center channel for $6k.

Regarding your 2nd question: I prefer the 1038Be for rooms larger than 18x18x9. The flax cone drivers of the Kanta 2 are, perhaps, a bit more natural and faster but are less punchy. The 1038Be go deeper. There is a reason why the Sopra 2 / Utopia have essentially the same drivers (rather than those made with flax). But, it is user preference.

I find the tweeters in the 1038Be to be very smooth and not harsh at all (unlike those in the 1037Be). But yes, Kanta 2 are a bit warmer. I use Parasound gear and 1038Be match very well with them.

In fact, I got to audition the 1038Be right next to the B&W 802D with same electronics at a dealer. I preferred the 1038Be (which is saying a lot as the 802D are great speakers).
Thanks, I looked on FB Marketplace. I don't find any 1038Be within 500 miles. I can't find a way to set a wider radius.

As to room size, my family room is 15x17, but it is open to the breakfast nook and kitchen. And on the other side of the kitchen is a short hallway into the living room and dining room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis